Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

What would you do?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

What would you do?

Postby redsturgeon » June 18th, 2019, 4:16 pm

I am waiting in the queue of a large store today, where there is one large queue and you are called to the tills as they become free. Three tills are in action but two of them seem to be involved in complex transactions resulting in effectively one till open. I am at the front of the queue and the till that is effectively still working is the one nearest to me.

The customer at the till finishes their transaction but then proceeds to engage in a conversation with the cashier about her upcoming holiday, I let this run for 20 or 30 seconds as I hear sighing behind me in the queue that has now built up to 7 or 8 people waiting.

What would you do? Do you do that British thing and just stand there silent. Or do you sigh heavily or make some or sound to try to attract the attention of the customer to the waiting queue. Or do you speak up politely and point out that people are waiting?

John

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Re: What would you do?

Postby StepOne » June 18th, 2019, 4:20 pm

redsturgeon wrote:The customer at the till finishes their transaction but then proceeds to engage in a conversation with the cashier about her upcoming holiday, I let this run for 20 or 30 seconds as I hear sighing behind me in the queue that has now built up to 7 or 8 people waiting.

What would you do? Do you do that British thing and just stand there silent. Or do you sigh heavily or make some or sound to try to attract the attention of the customer to the waiting queue. Or do you speak up politely and point out that people are waiting?

I wait. Why is everyone in such a rush these days?

StepOne

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » June 18th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Wait. It's up to the cashier to assess the situation and prioritise their attention as per their training. Some stores have specifically trained their cashiers to engage in conversation and to treat the current customer as the only customer, other stores train to maximise throughput.

What you don't know is whether this is the other customer's one human contact of the day, or even the week. Equally, if, when you were finally served, the cashier started hustling you through, you might be less than pleased, even though they were doing it for the "greater good" of the remaining queue.

If it's a frequent problem, raise it with a manager (not the cashier) or use a self service till, or a shop with speed tills as their priority.

Alternatively, walk forward and join in the conversation. "I couldn't help overhearing you are going to xxxxx! We went there last year, had a terrible time, what with the food poisoning and all...." That should move them along :lol:

VRD

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 18th, 2019, 4:39 pm

I wait silently, and fidget, and curse myself for being so British. And I reflect how other countries' citizens would have made their feelings known toward the perpetrator. And then I take another deep breath and thank providence for being British, despite everything. ;)

BJ

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » June 18th, 2019, 4:40 pm

I think stage one would be breathing out heavily through my nose and shake my head slowly.
Stage two would be to turn round slightly, catch the eye of someone else in the queue, roll my eyes and shrug.
Stage three would be the nuclear option, the tut.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 18th, 2019, 4:44 pm

UncleIan wrote:I think stage one would be breathing out heavily through my nose and shake my head slowly.
Stage two would be to turn round slightly, catch the eye of someone else in the queue, roll my eyes and shrug.
Stage three would be the nuclear option, the tut.

I went through each of those stages...before finally cracking.

John

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » June 18th, 2019, 4:44 pm

redsturgeon wrote:What would you do?

Wait, and kill time by posting to The Lemon Fool?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 18th, 2019, 4:47 pm

StepOne wrote:
I wait. Why is everyone in such a rush these days?

StepOne

At what stage does the wait become too long?

I am not in a particular rush but if I was in the other customer's position I would have some consideration to others waiting for service.

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 18th, 2019, 4:54 pm

vrdiver wrote:Wait. It's up to the cashier to assess the situation and prioritise their attention as per their training. Some stores have specifically trained their cashiers to engage in conversation and to treat the current customer as the only customer, other stores train to maximise throughput.

What you don't know is whether this is the other customer's one human contact of the day, or even the week. Equally, if, when you were finally served, the cashier started hustling you through, you might be less than pleased, even though they were doing it for the "greater good" of the remaining queue.

If it's a frequent problem, raise it with a manager (not the cashier) or use a self service till, or a shop with speed tills as their priority.

Alternatively, walk forward and join in the conversation. "I couldn't help overhearing you are going to xxxxx! We went there last year, had a terrible time, what with the food poisoning and all...." That should move them along :lol:

VRD

The other customer did not look like someone who was short of human attention although of course it is impossible to tell. They we not old, smartly dressed and very articulate, if a little verbose.

I have no problem with cashiers serving me at an appropriate speed and indeed engaged in conversation with this one when I finally got served. When I had completed the transaction though I was happy to move on and let others be served.

I do not use this shop more than two or three times a year, it has no other way of paying for goods besides the one queue which is usually the best solution.

Joining the conversation though...I wish I had thought of that.

The other customer's behaviour just struck me as inconsiderate though.

John

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » June 18th, 2019, 5:24 pm

Fidget a bit. Wander about a little. When you are near the checkout, turn your back and release a silent but potent flatus. The offending customer will quickly leave and allow you to be served.

Julian F. G. W.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 18th, 2019, 5:52 pm

Snorvey wrote:What would you do?

Shoot the hostage.

Surprised at you Snorvey..thought you would say let off one of your specials and clear the place immediately :mrgreen:

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 18th, 2019, 5:53 pm

just seen that jfgw beat me to it.........................

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”