Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Yesterday a bridge - today shrewd taxation moves

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Yesterday a bridge - today shrewd taxation moves

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 3rd, 2019, 9:18 pm

Boris Johnson has announced a radical scheme to tax children's pocket money. A rate of 50% will be charged on anything above £7 per week.

Jeremy Corbyn, in a bid to keep labour supporters onside has promised unemployment benefit for any child not receiving pocket money in the sum of £7 per week.

And news just coming in is that Jeremy Hunt is said to be considering limiting the size of a child's bedroom to protect over development.

How much pocket money should we give our kids?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48790576
One survey suggests that 84% of British parents give notes and coins to their children, typically an allowance - including some discretionary spending - of £7 a week

My daughter is 12 and has a bank account and we put a small amount in there each month. She has a debit card and she's learning to use it. She's bought some clothes. She also gets a little pocket money from her Grandma in cash. I've also shown her how to check her receipts and make sure she never leaves a shop without one. She is allowed to go to the local supermarket and get little odds and ends. We haven't quite allowed her to run riot around Murder Hell on her own just yet though. I suppose at some point I need to teach her about commercial phone apps - but I'm still in dinosaur mode on them.

We don't ask her to earn her pocket money. She's expected to empty and fill the dishwasher and keep her rooms tidy and clean. And we do try to impress on her the need not to squander her education. She does well at school. But is lamentable with the dishwasher :roll:

AiY

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Re: Yesterday a bridge - today shrewd taxation moves

Postby Watis » July 4th, 2019, 8:46 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Boris Johnson has announced a radical scheme to tax children's pocket money. A rate of 50% will be charged on anything above £7 per week.

Jeremy Corbyn, in a bid to keep labour supporters onside has promised unemployment benefit for any child not receiving pocket money in the sum of £7 per week.

And news just coming in is that Jeremy Hunt is said to be considering limiting the size of a child's bedroom to protect over development.

How much pocket money should we give our kids?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48790576
One survey suggests that 84% of British parents give notes and coins to their children, typically an allowance - including some discretionary spending - of £7 a week

My daughter is 12 and has a bank account and we put a small amount in there each month. She has a debit card and she's learning to use it. She's bought some clothes. She also gets a little pocket money from her Grandma in cash. I've also shown her how to check her receipts and make sure she never leaves a shop without one. She is allowed to go to the local supermarket and get little odds and ends. We haven't quite allowed her to run riot around Murder Hell on her own just yet though. I suppose at some point I need to teach her about commercial phone apps - but I'm still in dinosaur mode on them.

We don't ask her to earn her pocket money. She's expected to empty and fill the dishwasher and keep her rooms tidy and clean. And we do try to impress on her the need not to squander her education. She does well at school. But is lamentable with the dishwasher :roll:

AiY

Rooms? Rooms!

Do you live in a mansion?

As a child I only ever had one room to call my own.

Watis

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”