Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Making the bed

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Making the bed

Postby Howyoudoin » July 8th, 2019, 9:53 pm

Do you have as much trouble with you gf/wife over making the bed every day?

When I was single, I had a double bed, with a duvet. Took 5 seconds to make the bed.

Now i'm married, I haven't been able to get it right as she has so many different covers and cushions I don't know what she wants it to look like when she comes home?

Just me, or do other blokes tell their wives 'stuff it, do it yourself?'

HYD

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Making the bed

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 8th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:Do you have as much trouble with you gf/wife over making the bed every day?
When I was single, I had a double bed, with a duvet. Took 5 seconds to make the bed.

Now i'm married, I haven't been able to get it right as she has so many different covers and cushions I don't know what she wants it to look like when she comes home?

HYD

You made your bed when you were single? :shock:

And you're now trying to make your wife's bed? :shock: :shock:

AiY

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » July 8th, 2019, 10:43 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:Do you have as much trouble with you gf/wife over making the bed every day?

HYD

You made your bed when you were single? :shock:

And you're now trying to make your wife's bed? :shock: :shock:

AiY

It’s not my Wife’s bed. It belongs to us both.

Not sure what point you are trying to make? Is it that you’ve never made the bed, whether you’ve been single or in a relationship?

HYD

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » July 8th, 2019, 11:08 pm

Get up, fluff pillows, fold back duvet-------done!
That's the easy part, pouring enough coffee down his throat to bring him into the land of the living, well that's the hard part.

R6

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » July 8th, 2019, 11:18 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Get up, fluff pillows, fold back duvet-------done!
That's the easy part, pouring enough coffee down his throat to bring him into the land of the living, well that's the hard part.

R6

Hmmm.

I think we’re more suited than we are to our other halves . . .

HYD

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 9th, 2019, 6:39 am

I am afraid that when it comes to differing expectations of how things should be done then my own attitude is ,"if you want it done in a particular way then you have to do it yourself". This applies both ways.

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 9th, 2019, 6:59 am

While we are on the subject, I have managed to get away without having the seventeen cushions on the bed scenario at home but often come across the problem in hotels. My question is, what are you supposed to do with the damn things when you get into bed? I just sling them on the floor but of course in a hotel I don't have to worry about collecting them up and rearranging them in the morning.

In your own home where do the cushions live at night? Do they have a special little bed of their own?

John

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » July 9th, 2019, 7:33 am

redsturgeon wrote:While we are on the subject, I have managed to get away without having the seventeen cushions on the bed scenario at home but often come across the problem in hotels. My question is, what are you supposed to do with the damn things when you get into bed? I just sling them on the floor but of course in a hotel I don't have to worry about collecting them up and rearranging them in the morning.

In your own home where do the cushions live at night? Do they have a special little bed of their own?

John

There’s a chair for cushions and covers.

There’s also a chair for my clothes that have been worn but are not dirty enough for the laundry basket.

HYD

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 9th, 2019, 7:41 am

I no longer have to worry about a wife, but when I did we were supremely practical and simply made sure that the pillows were fluffed up and the duvet folded well back in order to air the bed. The bed would then be made up by lunchtime, but for a bed we used every day, no decorative cushions. What is the point? I have followed this guidance.

OTOH in the guest bedroom, we had and still have cushions galore, why I do not know. My wife favoured what you might call a well furnished look so I suppose that was it. She though was in charge. I dare not touch it as I certainly did not know what was required.

Dod

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » July 9th, 2019, 7:45 am

I feel like making a bed stops the area you just slept on from breathing. Better to leave it.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 9th, 2019, 8:36 am

redsturgeon wrote:While we are on the subject, I have managed to get away without having the seventeen cushions on the bed scenario at home but often come across the problem in hotels. My question is, what are you supposed to do with the damn things when you get into bed? I just sling them on the floor but of course in a hotel I don't have to worry about collecting them up and rearranging them in the morning.

John

Put them in the shower? Out of the way?

didds

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » July 9th, 2019, 9:19 am

We have a duvet which gets pulled back across the bed at some stage in the morning after the bed is aired. This works well and is as it should be but.........we also have another cover which has the sole purpose of being decorative. This is used when we have guests/visitors, so are the extra pillows and cushions which match the bedcover.

Sometimes the visitors like the plumber may need access to the bedroom but this rarely happens. That doesn't matter, if someone is coming the decorative items are essential apparently.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » July 9th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:.
I haven't been able to get it right as she has so many different covers and cushions I don't know what she wants it to look like when she comes home?

HYD

If this was at work I'd say, if not employee incompetence, it looks like a training issue; when a staff member is unable to do a task correctly check they have been supplied with the correct resources, instruction, tools etc. So now is your chance to ask for those tools to enable you to do the job properly. Now might be a time to document the task and perhaps take photos of what is expected.

"stuff it do it yourself," will not wash, it indicates a breakdown in employee relations and perhaps time for arbitration or disciplinary proceedings.

When I was growing up my mother wanted the milk decanted from bottles into the milk jug and the jug to be washed between loadings. My father and I would point out that as she was the only one who cared about the milk being in the jug she was welcome to put it in there as we were happy enough with bottles.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » July 9th, 2019, 5:44 pm

"I am afraid that when it comes to differing expectations of how things should be done then my own attitude is ,"if you want it done in a particular way then you have to do it yourself". This applies both ways."

I am not afraid. When it comes to differing expectations of how things should be done then my own attitude is "if you want it done in a particular way then please show me how you would like me to do it so i can try and get it right in future." This applies both ways, albeit Mrs Bnc is not as adept since for the most part my particular way isn't as efficient or neat as hers - except when i really do know what I'm doing in which case she doesn't interfere!

We used to make bed together - by which I mean change the sheets, pillow cases and duvet cover - but since Mrs Bnc has been out of action - the last time she offered to help me fold the sheets I tugged gently at my end the force of which at her end hurt her neck: she said I don't know my own strength, I said you don't know your own weakness - I have made the bed without her help.

As for making the bed every day (not changing the sheets, etc), I do that mostly as Mrs Bnc still isn't strong enough. I roll down the duvet to air the sheets and just occasionally I remember to roll it up again before the evening. Or if my luck's in and Mrs Bnc wants to lie on the bed for a rest during the day I simply tidy the duvet and pillows and left her tidy up in her own time.

A consequence of us making the bed together previously and since then Mrs Bnc showing me how to do it properly when I got it wrong, I now get it right every time* and a lot quicker and easier for me as well. *Unless I'm overtired in which case it either takes me longer to get it right or I make the terrible mistake (which I forgive myself to making) of putting the duvet cover on wrongly so that the buttoned edge is pointing upwards not down or there is not enough duvet pushed and pulled on one side (Mrs Bnc's usually) to fill the cover.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 9th, 2019, 5:56 pm

brightncheerful wrote:"I am afraid that when it comes to differing expectations of how things should be done then my own attitude is ,"if you want it done in a particular way then you have to do it yourself". This applies both ways."

I am not afraid. When it comes to differing expectations of how things should be done then my own attitude is "if you want it done in a particular way then please show me how you would like me to do it so i can try and get it right in future." This applies both ways, albeit Mrs Bnc is not as adept since for the most part my particular way isn't as efficient or neat as hers - except when i really do know what I'm doing in which case she doesn't interfere!

We used to make bed together - by which I mean change the sheets, pillow cases and duvet cover - but since Mrs Bnc has been out of action - the last time she offered to help me fold the sheets I tugged gently at my end the force of which at her end hurt her neck: she said I don't know my own strength, I said you don't know your own weakness - I have made the bed without her help.

As for making the bed every day (not changing the sheets, etc), I do that mostly as Mrs Bnc still isn't strong enough. I roll down the duvet to air the sheets and just occasionally I remember to roll it up again before the evening. Or if my luck's in and Mrs Bnc wants to lie on the bed for a rest during the day I simply tidy the duvet and pillows and left her tidy up in her own time.

A consequence of us making the bed together previously and since then Mrs Bnc showing me how to do it properly when I got it wrong, I now get it right every time* and a lot quicker and easier for me as well. *Unless I'm overtired in which case it either takes me longer to get it right or I make the terrible mistake (which I forgive myself to making) of putting the duvet cover on wrongly so that the buttoned edge is pointing upwards not down or there is not enough duvet pushed and pulled on one side (Mrs Bnc's usually) to fill the cover.

All of which sounds very complicated to me.

Dod

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » July 9th, 2019, 6:52 pm

All of which sounds very complicated to me.

One person's 'complicated' is another person's 'easy-peasy'! :)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 9th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Making a bed is really not that difficult.

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 10th, 2019, 11:31 am

redsturgeon wrote:Making a bed is really not that difficult.

Great. How are you with IKEA flatpack instructions?

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 10th, 2019, 12:50 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Making a bed is really not that difficult.

Great. How are you with IKEA flatpack instructions?

BJ

I am the king of IKEA flatpack assembly!

A cordless driver with allen key bits is the secret!

John

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”