Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Police and Crime Commissioner Elections

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Police and Crime Commissioner Elections

Postby EssDeeAitch » July 16th, 2019, 11:33 am

We have an election for the Police & Crime Commissioner here in sunny Northumberland on Thursday and as yet, I have only received a flyer from the Lib Dems. I do not know the Lib Dem candidate but at least I now know his name and what he will promise - it is the abolition of the post of Police & Crime Commissioner. A very laudable aim in my opinion but I may well be wrong on that.

So I asked the local Lib Dems what the stated opinion of the current Chief Constable was and they replied straight away saying that the Chief would not make any political statements so no guidance there. Nonetheless, it's a vote for the Lib Dems from me on the basis that they have a plan, have stated what it is and have bothered to communicate that to me.

But what if the current Chief Constable really appreciates and wants a Commissioner as it aids him in his duties and benefits the police in a myriad of ways?

From those two giants of UK politics (Cons and Lab if there is any doubt, but I am willing to be persuaded otherwise) nothing whatsoever.

Why is life so complicated or am I overthinking this?

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Re: Police and Crime Commissioner Elections

Postby Rhyd6 » July 16th, 2019, 5:11 pm

I've never really figured out what Police and Crime Commissioners are supposed to do - other than receive hefty pay packages courtesy of the taxpayer. When there was an election here in North Wales we didn't receive any material explaining who they were etc. and any info I gleaned was from local newspapers and odds and ends on the web. Since he's been elected there's barely been a mention of him in the papers or other news outlets, in fact he may not exist he's so under the radar. Maybe he's a figment of someone's imagination.

R6

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 16th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:I've never really figured out what Police and Crime Commissioners are supposed to do - other than receive hefty pay packages courtesy of the taxpayer. When there was an election here in North Wales we didn't receive any material explaining who they were etc. and any info I gleaned was from local newspapers and odds and ends on the web. Since he's been elected there's barely been a mention of him in the papers or other news outlets, in fact he may not exist he's so under the radar. Maybe he's a figment of someone's imagination.

R6

Well they replaced to old Police Authorities, to improve transparency. Apparently!

Slarti

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » July 16th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:I've never really figured out what Police and Crime Commissioners are supposed to do - other than receive hefty pay packages courtesy of the taxpayer. When there was an election here in North Wales we didn't receive any material explaining who they were etc. and any info I gleaned was from local newspapers and odds and ends on the web. Since he's been elected there's barely been a mention of him in the papers or other news outlets, in fact he may not exist he's so under the radar. Maybe he's a figment of someone's imagination.R6

Ours has a web site where you can find exactly what they are up to including budgets and exact details of any expenditure over £500.
I am not aware of many Government departments with such transparency.

The support for victims of crime and the national fraud initiative are worth the money.
The former releases police from that role and the latter might be able to nip-in-the-bud at least some of the widespread scammers and hackers.

https://www.thamesvalley-pcc.gov.uk/about-us/
The website includes information on all PCC commissioned support services as well as a service directory for victims to find other organisations in their area to help them cope and recover from the impact of crime. It enables victims or third parties to refer directly to the PCC services regardless of whether they have reported the crime to the police and also has a Victims Code section which should victims decide to report the crime, explains their rights and entitlements from organisations such as the Police and Crown Prosecution Service.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 17th, 2019, 9:39 am

supremetwo wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:I've never really figured out what Police and Crime Commissioners are supposed to do - other than receive hefty pay packages courtesy of the taxpayer. When there was an election here in North Wales we didn't receive any material explaining who they were etc. and any info I gleaned was from local newspapers and odds and ends on the web. Since he's been elected there's barely been a mention of him in the papers or other news outlets, in fact he may not exist he's so under the radar. Maybe he's a figment of someone's imagination.R6

Ours has a web site where you can find exactly what they are up to including budgets and exact details of any expenditure over £500.
I am not aware of many Government departments with such transparency.

Essex has one too, I've just found, but you have to know to go and look for it.

Perhaps Rhyd6's area has one as well publicised as mine?

Slarti

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”