Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit Card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,BusyBumbleBee,88V8,Anonymous,6Tricia, for Donating to support the site

World Record attempt

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice
Posts: 779
Joined: June 4th, 2018, 7:58 pm
Has thanked: 238 times
Been thanked: 215 times

World Record attempt

#237533

Postby Howyoudoin » July 18th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Image

Watis
Lemon Slice
Posts: 586
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 10:53 am
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 161 times

Re: World Record attempt

#237536

Postby Watis » July 18th, 2019, 2:15 pm

That's not a very positive reply.

Where's the encouragement to try again, perhaps with advice on how to memorise pi to at least 70 thousand places.

Here's what Michael is working towards: http://pi-world-ranking-list.com/index. ... ategory=pi

Watis

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Slice
Posts: 943
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:25 pm
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: World Record attempt

#237538

Postby dionaeamuscipula » July 18th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Watis wrote:That's not a very positive reply.

Where's the encouragement to try again, perhaps with advice on how to memorise pi to at least 70 thousand places.

Here's what Michael is working towards: http://pi-world-ranking-list.com/index. ... ategory=pi

Watis


How he wishes he could recollect pi easily today.

He needs a drink - alcoholic of course.

DM

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3637
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 410 times
Been thanked: 615 times

Re: World Record attempt

#237540

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 18th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Watis wrote:Where's the encouragement to try again, perhaps with advice on how to memorise pi to at least 70 thousand places.

Here's what Michael is working towards: http://pi-world-ranking-list.com/index. ... ategory=pi

But that would call for a whole life of pi.

Watis
Lemon Slice
Posts: 586
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 10:53 am
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 161 times

Re: World Record attempt

#237541

Postby Watis » July 18th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Now we're just going round in circles.

Watis

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3637
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 410 times
Been thanked: 615 times

Re: World Record attempt

#237545

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 18th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Watis wrote:Now we're just going round in circles.

Watis

OK, let's take this off at a tangent. Watis your angle on it?

PinkDalek
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4125
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 943 times
Been thanked: 1074 times

Re: World Record attempt

#237553

Postby PinkDalek » July 18th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:Image


Why would Guinness World Records be writing to Guinness World Records?

sunnyjoe
Lemon Pip
Posts: 77
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:11 pm
Has thanked: 265 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: World Record attempt

#237597

Postby sunnyjoe » July 18th, 2019, 5:32 pm

If the Indiana House of Representatives had passed this bill then pi would have been legislated as 3.2 which is even easier to remember than 3.11
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill

stevensfo
Lemon Slice
Posts: 681
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 8:43 am
Has thanked: 309 times
Been thanked: 146 times

Re: World Record attempt

#237643

Postby stevensfo » July 18th, 2019, 8:39 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
Watis wrote:That's not a very positive reply.

Where's the encouragement to try again, perhaps with advice on how to memorise pi to at least 70 thousand places.

Here's what Michael is working towards: http://pi-world-ranking-list.com/index. ... ategory=pi

Watis


How he wishes he could recollect pi easily today.

He needs a drink - alcoholic of course.

DM


The one I always remember is: How I need a drink, alcoholic of course, after all those chapters involving quantum mechanics.

A great party trick, and guaranteed to ensure you won't be invited again. :-)

The oldest I remember is star classification: Oh be a great girl, kiss me!

Not to blow my own trumpet but I made my own mnemonic in sixth form Biology: Pigs can't copulate on farms, their goolies shrink!

Phylum, Class, Cohort, Order, Family, Tribe, Genus, Species.

In over 40 years, I don't think any of these have ever been of any use whatsoever.


Steve

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Slice
Posts: 943
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:25 pm
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: World Record attempt

#237650

Postby dionaeamuscipula » July 18th, 2019, 9:32 pm

I tend to use the "recollect pi easily" one. I am also a whizz at parties. The "alcoholic of course" one I was reminded of by V C-M on Only Connect.

Despite its utter uselessness in all but certain school exams, BROM 4689 has stuck in my head for almost 50 years.

DM

dspp
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3634
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:53 am
Has thanked: 2659 times
Been thanked: 858 times

Re: World Record attempt

#237651

Postby dspp » July 18th, 2019, 10:00 pm

I was long ago taught some for resistor codes, which are definitely not repeatable in public in modern times. There are many variations of these, some of which are listed here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e ... _mnemonics

(which doesn't include the version I was taught)

- dspp

AndyPandy
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 210
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 11:46 pm
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: World Record attempt

#237660

Postby AndyPandy » July 18th, 2019, 10:32 pm

sunnyjoe wrote:If the Indiana House of Representatives had passed this bill then pi would have been legislated as 3.2 which is even easier to remember than 3.11
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill


As a kid I had one of the Guinness WR Annuals and they had recorded the most inaccurate defintion as belonging to China who declared Pi to be 3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liu_Hui%2 ... _algorithm (second sentence)

sunnyjoe
Lemon Pip
Posts: 77
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:11 pm
Has thanked: 265 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: World Record attempt

#237741

Postby sunnyjoe » July 19th, 2019, 12:11 pm

AndyPandy wrote:
sunnyjoe wrote:If the Indiana House of Representatives had passed this bill then pi would have been legislated as 3.2 which is even easier to remember than 3.11
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill


As a kid I had one of the Guinness WR Annuals and they had recorded the most inaccurate defintion as belonging to China who declared Pi to be 3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liu_Hui%2 ... _algorithm (second sentence)


Thanks for the interesting link. I remember being encouraged at school to use 22/7 as an approximation for pi which is good for nearly 3 decimal places. Subsequently I learned that the 4th root of 2143/22 is a good approximation of pi to nearly 9 decimal places

madhatter
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 234
Joined: November 12th, 2016, 9:25 pm
Has thanked: 264 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: World Record attempt

#237865

Postby madhatter » July 19th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Subsequently I learned that the 4th root of 2143/22 is a good approximation of pi to nearly 9 decimal places


You never know when that will come in handy do you?


Return to “Beerpig's Snug”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests