Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Buckie Substitute?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Buckie Substitute?

Postby scotia » August 5th, 2019, 11:40 am

You have probably noticed me complaining about Buckfast Tonic Wine - stuffed full of alcohol and caffeine - the favourite tipple of Scottish Yobs. Guaranteed to produce anti social behaviour. Our community tidied up an old (disused) railway station, and in the process removed piles of broken Buckie bottles. We still get unwanted additions - apparently after consuming the brew, our Yobs are incapable of placing it in the nearby litter bins - its apparently much easier to hurl the empty bottle down into the old station. So we continue to clear up. This weekend there was a broken Buckie bottle, and a "Dragon Soop" can. This "Soop" was a new feature, but it appears to be another alcohol and caffeine mix. Looking on the bright side - its alcoholic content is less than Buckie, and its in a non-breakable can. So should I be pleased that it may usurp Buckie's crown, or should I be astonished that the drinks industry is so irresponsible to market such a concoction?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Buckie Substitute?

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 5th, 2019, 11:46 am

scotia wrote:You have probably noticed me complaining about Buckfast Tonic Wine - stuffed full of alcohol and caffeine - the favourite tipple of Scottish Yobs. Guaranteed to produce anti social behaviour. Our community tidied up an old (disused) railway station, and in the process removed piles of broken Buckie bottles. We still get unwanted additions - apparently after consuming the brew, our Yobs are incapable of placing it in the nearby litter bins - its apparently much easier to hurl the empty bottle down into the old station. So we continue to clear up. This weekend there was a broken Buckie bottle, and a "Dragon Soop" can. This "Soop" was a new feature, but it appears to be another alcohol and caffeine mix. Looking on the bright side - its alcoholic content is less than Buckie, and its in a non-breakable can. So should I be pleased that it may usurp Buckie's crown, or should I be astonished that the drinks industry is so irresponsible to market such a concoction?

It doesn't do the monks at Buckfast any credit that they profit from the stuff, given its well known effects. Also known as 'wifebeater' apparently.

RC

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 5th, 2019, 11:53 am

Seems like an obvious case for introducing a deposit on the Buckie bottles. There'll always be somebody who's skint enough to collect them up.

BJ

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » August 5th, 2019, 12:03 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:It doesn't do the monks at Buckfast any credit that they profit from the stuff, given its well known effects. Also known as 'wifebeater' apparently.

RC

I thought that "wifebeater" is Stella
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... e%20beater
"2. Slang name in Britain for a Belgian lager, Stella Artois, mostly because of the name, Stella, after Stella Kowalski, the victim of a beating from her husband, Stanley, in the aforementioned Tennessee Williams' play, "A Streetcar Named Desire," but also because of the high alcohol content which could possibly lead one to wife beating were he so pre-disposed."

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 5th, 2019, 12:13 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Seems like an obvious case for introducing a deposit on the Buckie bottles. There'll always be somebody who's skint enough to collect them up.
BJ

I think it would need a substantial deposit. Buckie is not cheap - it wasn't affected by the Scottish minimum alcohol pricing. So the Yobs are not actually hard pressed for cash. Maybe a fiver deposit per bottle would have some effect.
But Buckfast is a well known offender. However it now looks like other drinks' manufacturers are jumping on the same Alcohol plus Caffeine bandwagon - when it is demonstrably clear that it causes social problems.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 5th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Why is alcohol and caffeine a problem?

Don't the best evening meals involve a glass of wine or beer with the main course, followed by a coffee?

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 5th, 2019, 12:27 pm

sunnyjoe wrote:I thought that "wifebeater" is Stella

I'm sure the terminology works equally well with Buckie - and its not restricted to man on woman violence. E.G.:-
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scot ... e-13508480
The "Thug" in this case is female, fuelled by Buckie. On release (after 8 years in jail), it looks like Dragon Soop is now a favourite tipple.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”