Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Beer

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Beer

Postby Rhyd6 » August 20th, 2019, 11:48 am

We're going to Dorset for a holiday soon, we'll be staying near Beaminster and wondered if anyone has any recommendations for local beers. Palmers seems to be the most local (Bridport) but wondered if there are any other micro breweries delivering anything interesting.

R6

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Re: Beer

Postby dionaeamuscipula » August 20th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:We're going to Dorset for a holiday soon, we'll be staying near Beaminster and wondered if anyone has any recommendations for local beers. Palmers seems to be the most local (Bridport) but wondered if there are any other micro breweries delivering anything interesting.

R6

Palmers is pretty ubiquitous in the Bridport/Beaminster area. I've not been around that area so much in recent years, so I'm not aware of anything microbrewery-ish. The brewery has a shop and you can do a tour, although I have never done it.

Bridport has a regular farmers market and some of the local cider etc producers had stalls there the last time I visited.

Pubs you might like include The Anchor in Seatown (right on the beach, with obvious consequences); West Bay in West Bay; George in Chideock; Spyways Inn in Askerswell; Marquis of Lorne in Nettlecombe; Loders Arms in Loders/Uploders. These are all eaty/drinky pubs rather than drinky/drinky (and my knowledge of these is a few years old now). There are many others, I've not been in the Beaminster pubs.

There is also a vineyard IIRC on the Beaminster-Bridport road which does tours/tastings, never been, they are World Championship medals winners. Watch out for the llamas.

DM

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » August 20th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Worth sticking your nose into The Oak at Dewlish, who ordinarily have two or three good beers on:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Rev ... gland.html

rabbit
Lemon Pip

Postby rabbit » August 27th, 2019, 5:21 pm

You could try Piddle! Not as bad as it sounds, it's a microbrewery near Dorchester, named after a local river.

http://www.piddlebrewery.co.uk

Have a good holiday! 8-)

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » August 27th, 2019, 5:56 pm

I'd check out:
https://www.beeradvocate.com/place/directory/0/GB/ for beer from local towns, and
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... gland.html

Before travelling to a new place (at home and abroad) I usually skim those sites to form a short-list of various places that should fit well into our trip, oh and some local beers to look out for if I get to see them.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 27th, 2019, 10:30 pm

Not really local, being c 30 miles to the west of Beaminster, but I must put in a good word for the Otter Brewery

Nice 'traditional' beer made by a family-run firm - not a heavily-hopped hipster IPA in sight!

https://www.otterbrewery.com/beer/

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 28th, 2019, 11:18 am

Thanks for your suggestions, we shall do our best to sample all of them :D

R6

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 28th, 2019, 12:10 pm

if you've android/iphone grab the "untappd" [ no "e"] app - then in the area check out the local bars and beers that are trending.

The CAMRA good beer guide app FREE version will list GBG listings for wherever you are - although as my son always says the GBG doesn't necessarily really list the best pubs in a town but the least worst ;-) [ we are both local active CAMRA members on our local committee :-) ]

Or if you've a FB account join the "real ale twats - Viz" group[ and ask recommendations in there - its a lighht heatred group but does revolve around drinking real ale!

And whatever you find report back here :-)

didds

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”