Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

At least now I have a name for my condition...

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
neversay
Lemon Slice

Re: At least now I have a name for my condition...

Postby neversay » September 19th, 2019, 6:39 pm

By coincidence today Google popped up a flashback video to when my son was a toddler and anxious about walking over a playground obstacle course without holding my hand. I forwarded it to him as a reminder of how we confront our anxieties and later look back on it as growth.

Now you have me worried that I should have labelled his early anxiety disorder, brought in a team of therapists and perhaps considered medication. I'm now anxious that I failed him as a parent.

There are some people with serious anxiety that need serious help. The majority though need your old man's boot. I guess that makes me old fashioned and irrelevant in this new woke world of victimhood.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 19th, 2019, 8:18 pm

neversay wrote:By coincidence today Google popped up a flashback video to when my son was a toddler and anxious about walking over a playground obstacle course without holding my hand. I forwarded it to him as a reminder of how we confront our anxieties and later look back on it as growth.

Now you have me worried that I should have labelled his early anxiety disorder, brought in a team of therapists and perhaps considered medication. I'm now anxious that I failed him as a parent.

There are some people with serious anxiety that need serious help. The majority though need your old man's boot.

So how do you tell the one from the other?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 20th, 2019, 12:42 am

XFool wrote:
neversay wrote:There are some people with serious anxiety that need serious help. The majority though need your old man's boot.

So how do you tell the one from the other?

It's a bit like when people say they have the "flu" when at worst they might have a bad cold, because they've never really experienced flu

If you know a child that really suffers with an anxiety disorder you are unlikely to mistake it for anything else
- you're not going to use the term lightly
- and it's likely to make your blood boil when others do, even though it's more often down to blissful ignorance than anything else

- sd

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 20th, 2019, 8:43 am

I've seen a child vomit through fear/disquiet etc. ie a sever physcial reaction to being upset.

Should the parent have insisted they went to school that day?

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 20th, 2019, 8:45 am

Just because we never understood or appreciated something before, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

We used to stick kids up chimneys and down coal mines too.

didds

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » September 20th, 2019, 9:25 am

didds wrote:I've seen a child vomit through fear/disquiet etc. i.e. a severe physical reaction to being upset.
Should the parent have insisted they went to school that day? didds

I guess there's degrees but fundamentally education is about preparing you for adulthood and the world of work. If you enjoy your work, you're very fortunate, for most I think it's a matter of need and self-discipline. This requires an element of compulsion and I do get the impression that the discipline element has been eroded.

We hear plenty about what schools/parents can't do but very little about what is allowed. I imagine being suspended for many would be a dream come true. Whatever the truth, I don't get the impression that many think today's society is a more agreeable place to be, in fact I read many comments of late, saying how fortunate people feel to have lived when they did, because they feel the future is looking very grim !

Sussexlad

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » September 20th, 2019, 9:47 am

Sussexlad wrote:We hear plenty about what schools/parents can't do but very little about what is allowed. I imagine being suspended for many would be a dream come true. Whatever the truth, I don't get the impression that many think today's society is a more agreeable place to be, in fact I read many comments of late, saying how fortunate people feel to have lived when they did, because they feel the future is looking very grim !

Sussexlad

Go back ten, twenty, thirty or more years and you will read the same comments. The reality is that, on the whole, we are richer, healthier, and safer today than we have ever been.

DM

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 20th, 2019, 10:07 am

XFool wrote:So how do you tell the one from the other?

There may be two distinctions to be made here.
Firstly, a questionable distinction in the subject. Kids are (and jolly well should be) very good at putting on an act.
Second, in the observer. Are you part of the Zeitgeist that calls everything a medical condition, or are you a Snorvey who sees First World Problems?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 20th, 2019, 10:32 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
XFool wrote:So how do you tell the one from the other?

There may be two distinctions to be made here.
Firstly, a questionable distinction in the subject. Kids are (and jolly well should be) very good at putting on an act.
Second, in the observer. Are you part of the Zeitgeist that calls everything a medical condition..

Not really familiar with that "Zeitgeist". Apart possibly from the Comments section of The Telegraph online. ;)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 20th, 2019, 10:52 am

I think there may be a possible 'issue' (!) where some people are inclined to take a particular instance of something - from say a news story - and then generalise it to a larger population, using nothing more than their own prejudices.

But hey! That's just my opinion. ;)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”