Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

The future of the planet.

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers

Is Snorvey right and it's too late?

Yes the planet is doomed.
7%
The planet will survive but the human race will not.
42%
No, man and the planet will be fine.
29%
Unsure - a lot depends on the most industrialised countries.
12%
None of the above (explain please).
10%

Total votes: 59

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: The future of the planet.

Postby scrumpyjack » October 2nd, 2019, 5:29 pm

I have a feeling that these figures conveniently ignore aviation - that's what Greta Thunderpants said anyway.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 2nd, 2019, 5:35 pm

swill453 wrote:
scotia wrote:Its interesting that the SNP are red hot on carbon-free energy generation, but the Scottish economy, in the event of independence, would be heavily dependent on crude oil exports. I'm not sure I can square that circle.

Without getting into the politics of it, my common sense would say the carbon release counts against whoever burns* it, rather than who takes it out of the ground.

* - or equivalent

Scott.

That's an interesting philosophy. Its like believing in prohibition, while owning a distillery!
It brings to mind the town of Wick which was, at one time, dry (veto polled ), but still operated a very successful whisky distillery.
:)

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 2nd, 2019, 5:41 pm

scotia wrote:
swill453 wrote:Without getting into the politics of it, my common sense would say the carbon release counts against whoever burns* it, rather than who takes it out of the ground.

* - or equivalent

Scott.

That's an interesting philosophy. Its like believing in prohibition, while owning a distillery!

It's not a philosophy, it's logic. Otherwise an oil-free country could buy and use limitless amounts and choke the planet with impunity.

(I'm ruling out the possibility that it's counted twice, which wouldn't make logical sense either).

Scott.

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » October 2nd, 2019, 7:07 pm

djbenedict wrote:Just to substantiate this point, there was a good article in The Economist recently, actually mostly about offshore wind, but with this illuminating figure:

This is the graph for the planet as a whole:

https://twitter.com/MaxCRoser/status/11 ... 5638384640

Currently the rate of increase in emissions might be falling (i.e. the 2nd derivative of cumulative emissions) which is potentially good news, but considering Indian and possible African demographics makes me wonder how long that will be the case for.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » October 2nd, 2019, 11:01 pm

scotia wrote:is that what you meant by offshoring the carbon output?.

That terminology typically refers to offshoring energy intensive industries like aluminium and steel production.
Or in some cases, all production. The idea generally being that the end consumer should be held responsible for all the energy, not necessarily the manufacturer.
It does make some sense. If the Poles burn filthy sulphurous coal to export electricity to Germany, who should be held responsible? But applies just as much to iPhones as energy.

Gryff

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » October 3rd, 2019, 7:09 am

That's the logic behind Carbon Taxes, which work like VAT, passing through to the consumer and giving a strong economic lever to reduce emissions. But they don't work unless implemented globally, and vested interests and lack of intergovernmental co-operation have stopped them, a key reason why we are doomed.

Money seems a much better universal limiter than morals and quotas to me.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 3rd, 2019, 9:48 am

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 11th, 2019, 1:32 pm

I recall many years ago being invited by a friend to join them for a skiiing holiday in Beaver Creek (near Vail, Colorado). He had been lent a vast ski chalet by a Canadian banker friend (who used to fly down to it in his private jet).

Anyway it really was an example of oil profligacy! There was a separate central heating system for the drive to ensure no one slipped on any ice. Other mansions on the road were owned be ex president Ford and by Oliver Stone the film director.

It really was a wonderful holiday but I dread to think what our carbon footprint was. At least we didn't go in a private jet.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 11th, 2019, 1:48 pm

skiiing holiday in Beaver Creek
Lucky you! A former colleague of mine lives in Glenwood Springs (west along the I-70) Having seen his photos the scenery looks fantastic

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 11th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Yes absolutely beautiful and much better looked after than Alpine resorts.

A couple of years after that I stayed at a ranch in Montana (Triple Creek). We went on a raft trip down the Bitterroot river and saw 1 person in 25 miles. Then we went up a mountain. Fantastic views and no sign of civilization anywhere as far as one could see in any direction. You couldn't do that in the Alps!

There are still some unspoilt places on this planet.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » November 11th, 2019, 9:37 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Yes absolutely beautiful and much better looked after than Alpine resorts.

A couple of years after that I stayed at a ranch in Montana (Triple Creek). We went on a raft trip down the Bitterroot river and saw 1 person in 25 miles. Then we went up a mountain. Fantastic views and no sign of civilization anywhere as far as one could see in any direction. You couldn't do that in the Alps!

There are still some unspoilt places on this planet.

You don't have to travel far. On my week's early summer fishing holiday in Assynt, I rarely see any human presence on the hill lochs that I frequent. There are signs of a bygone age - the ruins of Sheilings - habitations used in summer when tending cattle on the higher ground. And daylight lasts for more than 18 hours - with most of the remaining hours being twilight. But don't tell too many people :D

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”