Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Vox Pops

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Vox Pops

Postby kiloran » September 23rd, 2019, 5:11 pm

Snorvey wrote:And you (tradesman type) Sir?

Nie obchodzi mnie to. Opuszczam tę piekielną dziurę i zabieram ze sobą umiejętności murarskie

:D
Love it! And done without Google Translate, I'm sure.

--kiloran

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » September 24th, 2019, 9:38 am

Couldn't agree with your sentiment more Snorvey.

It almost makes me think an intelligence test before being able to take part in a referendum wouldn't be a bad thing.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 24th, 2019, 12:37 pm

Leothebear wrote:Couldn't agree with your sentiment more Snorvey.

It almost makes me think an intelligence test before being able to take part in a referendum wouldn't be a bad thing.

Now if only at the time of the referendum you had to correctly answer the question - what is the Irish Border problem? It would have reduced the number of voters to zero, and consequently the referendum result would have been a non scoring draw.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 24th, 2019, 1:58 pm

Snorvey wrote:It didn't even have to be as complicated as that.

Do you have tattoos? Yes? Ban them.

Bearing in mind the number of fingers an toes you have, can you add 12 + 9 (obviously East Angular residents have an advantage here)? If not, ban them.

Remain win by 17.4 million votes

Naughty! ;)

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » September 24th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Snorvey wrote:
Bearing in mind the number of fingers an toes you have, can you add 12 + 9 (obviously East Angular residents have an advantage here)? If not, ban them.

Firm but fair Snorvey, firm but fair.

Absolutely agree with you re vox pop: the absolute worst is, "oooh why don't they all just get on with it?" What a lazy, meaningless thing to say. Don't you think if they could get on with it, they would get on with it? They can't get on with it, because they don't agree. Just repeating "get on with it" doesn't make them any more likely to get on with it. Very easy and lazy to say, very difficult to do.

I think I finally lost it with May when she thought that by endlessly repeating "let's just get on with it" she would endear herself to the" people".

Gina Miller for PM!!!

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 27th, 2019, 9:26 pm

I was struck by one answer I heard on a vox pop the other day: "And you sir, what do you think?"; "Well, I'm not really interested in politics usually. All they ever seem to do is argue with each other."

Why yes! If only everyone agreed with everyone else, how much better and simpler politics would be. :)

But hang on. If everyone agreed with everyone else... why would we ever need "politics"? :?

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » October 1st, 2019, 10:12 pm

Hang on a minute there Snorvs

The BBC has apologised after accidentally showing an interview with a random member of the public who does not support Brexit.

The young reporter responsible for the error, Nikki Hollis, said: ”I’m so sorry. I haven’t had much experience of finding angry Brexiters repeating the same tabloid cliches for the billionth time.

“I’d seen a guy who looked just the ticket. White, bald, middle-aged, muttering angrily to himself. He looked like just the sort of person who had legitimate concerns about the EU.

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/bbc-accidentally-interviews-remain-voting-member-of-public-20190606186329

But then back to the normal fare, "... just get out of Brexit ..."
Traffic noise. Unidentified woman: “If they were reflecting the views of the people they would get on with it but I don’t think they ever will to be honest. It’s been what, three years, since we voted Out and we’re still waiting, they’re just sitting on their bums, in my eyes – just get out of Brexit would be the best for Britain.”

Although fair play to the Guardian, perhaps they've been reading TLF, as this is from an article dated only a few days ago. A good read too. Is the rise of the unscientific vox pop a fresh take on news or just plain laziness?

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » October 2nd, 2019, 10:03 am

Snorvey wrote:First up we have Mr Bigot, market vendor/flower seller. Cash only.

'Ah fink we shood get aht of Euro. Take back control -y' na what a' mean'...

I wouldn't argue with him - he's sitting third in the Men's Hammer at the World Championships just now. Although he appears to be French...

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf- ... on/summary

StepOne

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » October 2nd, 2019, 10:24 am

I have always assumed that the media record several vox pop opinions , then edit and filter and only broadcast those that produce the pre-determinded controversial views that form the editorial mandate. News management is now endemic. Journalists consider themselves as "Opinion Formers " ,regarding the public as being unable to reach an independent decision without guidance , which seems to be , increasingly , the case.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » November 22nd, 2019, 3:41 pm

My friend from down south was pounced upon by a BBC interviewer looking for the point of view of "the woman in the street". Unfortunately she is a Brexiteer and once this became clear the interviewer interrupted her at every opportunity. He suddenly pounced with "it seems you can't give me an answer as to why you want to leave" to which she sweetly replied "of course I can but you seemed to be enjoying the sound of your own voice so much I thought it rude to interrupt". Luckily her husband had captured the moment on his phone because for some unfathomable reason the BBC didn't broadcast it.

R6

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » November 22nd, 2019, 5:02 pm

Snorvey wrote:......and another thing is when they interview an 'expert' who clearly has a vested interest in the subject.

<insert name of think tank / paid lobbyist talking head here>

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » November 22nd, 2019, 5:47 pm

Snorvey wrote:
It didn't even have to be as complicated as that.

Do you have tattoos? Yes? Ban them.

Not likely that the Prome Minister would Bar his wife from having a vote...

Bh

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”