Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,Walkeia,genou,Anonymous,Fluke, for Donating to support the site

50 years old

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice
Posts: 941
Joined: June 4th, 2018, 7:58 pm
Has thanked: 288 times
Been thanked: 278 times

50 years old

#256469

Postby Howyoudoin » October 7th, 2019, 10:54 pm

Apparently, if you promise your family and friends that you will do the Couch to 5K by the end of the year, it’s binding.

Seeing as I’ve made that promise, can anyone confirm? I would especially like to hear from those who say ‘No’.

Thanks,

HYD

didds
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2170
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:04 pm
Has thanked: 888 times
Been thanked: 319 times

Re: 50 years old

#256475

Postby didds » October 7th, 2019, 11:31 pm

go do it.

what could be bad about it?

didds
(who will complete his 50th parkrun next Saturday, aged 57, start 0900, Melksham, having done C25K Summer 2018)

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2050
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 2:22 am
Has thanked: 337 times
Been thanked: 603 times

Re: 50 years old

#256488

Postby vrdiver » October 8th, 2019, 12:15 am

Howyoudoin wrote:Apparently, if you promise your family and friends that you will do the Couch to 5K by the end of the year, it’s binding.

Seeing as I’ve made that promise, can anyone confirm? I would especially like to hear from those who say ‘No’.

Thanks,

HYD

Which year? What calendar? Seriously, you need to find a decent weasel to represent you!

Actually, I second didds: go for it. Unless there are "real" reasons why it would be a bad idea they are fun and motivating. You never know if a 5k will lead to a 10k and a half marathon!

VRD

moorfield
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1559
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 1:56 pm
Has thanked: 330 times
Been thanked: 371 times

Re: 50 years old

#256498

Postby moorfield » October 8th, 2019, 7:01 am

vrdiver wrote:
Actually, I second didds: go for it. Unless there are "real" reasons why it would be a bad idea they are fun and motivating. You never know if a 5k will lead to a 10k and a half marathon!



+1 do it, with someone else if possible. There are plenty of good 5k podcasts for it and you may surprise yourself how well you progress through it. In my case 5k did lead onto running 10k s.

didds
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2170
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:04 pm
Has thanked: 888 times
Been thanked: 319 times

Re: 50 years old

#256513

Postby didds » October 8th, 2019, 8:48 am

vrdiver wrote:[
Actually, I second didds: go for it. Unless there are "real" reasons why it would be a bad idea they are fun and motivating. You never know if a 5k will lead to a 10k and a half marathon!


Funny you say that....

didds

didds
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2170
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:04 pm
Has thanked: 888 times
Been thanked: 319 times

Re: 50 years old

#256515

Postby didds » October 8th, 2019, 8:54 am

moorfield wrote:+1 do it, with someone else if possible.


if you are concerned about "motivation" aka mojo... deffo find a partner, and preferably not a member of you family. Only because a family member is more likely to be swayed by the same reason as you to not go out! LOL. If its a friend then between the two of you one will be fine to go out and you'll "have" to go with them with you social contract you have :-)

Though a family member is better than no parrtner obviously if you are so inclined.

C25K even inspired me to write a poem and how distracting I found the process!


"Couch To 5K - ADHD on a hot afternoon

I push through the gate
by the path there's bay
I've rested as told
Now this is the day
wearing lycra so tight
I'm told it looks gay
past sheep in the fields
all grazing on hay
birds fly overhead,
a lark, and a jay,
in shadows of trees
the cattle do lay
the voice in my ear
tells me what I may
do next, in the plan
past horses that neigh
the voice then asks me
If I am O-kay
and to push on now
to make my work pay
the app on my phone
continues to play
the kite overhead
is looking for prey
"Oh God its so hot"
beneath the sun's ray
so no pain no gain
that is what they say
I long for some cool
a refreshing spray
of water, would do me
as I make my way
to home at the end
...
of running five K"

(c) Ian Diddams 2018

skewwy
Posts: 20
Joined: November 16th, 2016, 12:38 pm
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: 50 years old

#256516

Postby skewwy » October 8th, 2019, 8:58 am

The only argument against it, is if you are coming from a base of having done no exercise for a few years and are overweight. If that is the case, as it was for me 3 years ago, then personally I would look to lose some weight first combined with walking (say 10k steps a day) for 2 or 3 months. Any sort of running (I know the couch to 5k involves a fair amount walking as well initially) from a such a starting point 'could' put necessary strain on your knees, it is just not worth the risk.
If this is not your starting point then unfortunately you have no get out clause - who will have to do it! :D

sg31
Lemon Slice
Posts: 690
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 289 times
Been thanked: 233 times

Re: 50 years old

#256526

Postby sg31 » October 8th, 2019, 9:29 am

Many years ago I was overweight and gasping after climbing stairs. For some daft reason I decided that if I could run 5 miles I'd be 'fit enough'. I started by walking round the block (about a quarter of a mile) really quickly,after a week I could jog that distance really slowly.

Progression was surprisingly rapid, the more I did the faster I progressed. Within a month I was doing 3 miles a couple of weeks later it was 5 miles. From slob to 5 miles in 6-7 weeks. I couldn't stop, I was enjoying it. 10 mile race not long after and a full marathon within 6 months (3 hours 42min), that was one of my proudest moments.

Go for it.....but learn when to stop.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3825
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 429 times
Been thanked: 635 times

Re: 50 years old

#256534

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 8th, 2019, 9:58 am

Howyoudoin wrote:Apparently, if you promise your family and friends that you will do the Couch to 5K by the end of the year, it’s binding.

Seeing as I’ve made that promise, can anyone confirm? I would especially like to hear from those who say ‘No’.

Thanks,

HYD

The question is one for your friends&family. The answer depends on what price both you and they hold you to, and whether you want to pay it.

Do they give a toss?
Do you want to be able to face them without squirming?
Do you have the brass neck to Boris on them?

If you can't find an answer you can live with, try a dead cat.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Slice
Posts: 993
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:12 am
Has thanked: 479 times
Been thanked: 248 times

Re: 50 years old

#256550

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 8th, 2019, 10:55 am

sg31 wrote:
Progression was surprisingly rapid, the more I did the faster I progressed. Within a month I was doing 3 miles a couple of weeks later it was 5 miles.
Go for it.....but learn when to stop.


I can relate to that, it was the same for me. I had to give up running due to a knee injury which prompts me to suggest to anyone thinking of taking it up that getting a decent pair of running shoes is a must. Humans are designed to run and run long distances.

Most mammals can sprint faster than humans — having four legs gives them the advantage. But when it comes to long distances, humans can outrun almost any animal. Because we cool by sweating rather than panting, we can stay cool at speeds and distances that would overheat other animals. On a hot day, the two scientists wrote, a human could even outrun a horse in a 26.2-mile marathon.


https://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/health/27well.html

An otherwise healthy 50 yr. old ought to be able to run just 5k with a little practise. Keeping fit is an investment in your future health, why wouldn't you want to do that?

RC

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1155
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 4:00 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 154 times

Re: 50 years old

#256555

Postby brightncheerful » October 8th, 2019, 11:16 am

Despite going to gym almost every week since the late 1980s, I don't remember when I was 50 being as fit as I feel now, 20 years on.

For the past 8 months, once a week almost every week I have been doing circuit training. The class is run by different instructors depending upon their rota. Usually, there are about a dozen of us, but sometimes the max of 16 . I am amongst the older participants. Occasionally there are some younger women, rarely any younger men. At a guess I'd put the average age around mid-fifties. Of one particular instructor, it is said she acts as a reminder we're not 20 any more.

Unlike others in the class, I go to the gym for an hour before circuit training. In the early weeks, I found the ct hard-going. Mainly the exercises I do at the gym are to my requirements, whereas with ct it's all-round exercise. Parts of my body have never experienced such exercising before. I was told that my lack of oomph could be due to muscle memory fatigue, or something. I looked it up on wiki and discovered that I could wear myself out.

The ct has become easier over the months bur no less demanding: the different instructors set different circuit exercises for us. Sometimes I can do the exercises comfortably, mostly it's hard graft. Generally, I cannot manage all the repetitions expected, at least not without pausing and using valuable time. The ct 45 minutes is not non-stop. After each circuit (which might begin with 10 repetitions of one exercise in a timed period leading up to 4 exercises in a longer time), we are 'allowed; to rest and replenish, drink water etc. I say 'allowed' because it's not compulsory. I worked out of the 60 seconds for resting, it takes me about 30 seconds to walk from where I was at the end of the exercise to where we rest.

One thing I have discovered is that I cannot run, at least not at the pace others seem to manage. When I play badminton, quickly moving around the court is not something I'm renewed for. As for running during circuit training, whenever we are to run from one end (width) of the sports hall to another and back again, I am about half way across one width by the time all the others have finished the lot. To avoid being left behind at the start of the each exercise I now have dispensation to run only one width.

Since July I have lost about half-a-stone in weight. Nothing to do with with the c/t, all to do with finally kicking the addiction of eating yoghurt (natural only. but overdoing it) and 2 or 3 packets of carob-coated raisins every weekend. (I don't drink milk and rarely eat cheese and I consider yoghurt a junk food so do not know what possessed me to become an addict.) The first time I did c/t after my holiday in August, I found I wasn't as breathless when running and was delighted to manage almost a full circuit of the warm-up before breathless.

Months of c/t are working wonders for household management. I can now stretch from one side to the other when cleaning the shower tray. The last time I had to move our sofa across two rooms I needed help: this time I did it on my own. When cleaning the car and polishing the doors I squat alongside without pain in my legs. I don't feel quite as nervous when climbing to the top of our three steps step-ladder. When sliding a large suitcase off the top of a wardrobe I can balance the tipping end with one finger, rather than the palm of my hand. The list of uses grows.

A few in the class are obviously good at running and it shows: they talk about doing marathons. Although my inability to run is shared by a man I chat with in the gym whilst he waits for me to finish light weightlifting - and for reassurance I assume an instructor tells me that different people have different abilities - a side of me would like to be able to run, at least keep up with the others. Whether that will happen I have no idea. In the meantime, I console myself during c/t by being able to do the triceps and squat and star jumps repetitions easily.

skewwy
Posts: 20
Joined: November 16th, 2016, 12:38 pm
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: 50 years old

#256562

Postby skewwy » October 8th, 2019, 12:13 pm

brightncheerful wrote:Despite going to gym almost every week since the late 1980s, I don't remember when I was 50 being as fit as I feel now, 20 years on.

For the past 8 months, once a week almost every week I have been doing circuit training. The class is run by different instructors depending upon their rota. Usually, there are about a dozen of us, but sometimes the max of 16 . I am amongst the older participants. Occasionally there are some younger women, rarely any younger men. At a guess I'd put the average age around mid-fifties. Of one particular instructor, it is said she acts as a reminder we're not 20 any more.

Unlike others in the class, I go to the gym for an hour before circuit training. In the early weeks, I found the ct hard-going. Mainly the exercises I do at the gym are to my requirements, whereas with ct it's all-round exercise. Parts of my body have never experienced such exercising before. I was told that my lack of oomph could be due to muscle memory fatigue, or something. I looked it up on wiki and discovered that I could wear myself out.

The ct has become easier over the months bur no less demanding: the different instructors set different circuit exercises for us. Sometimes I can do the exercises comfortably, mostly it's hard graft. Generally, I cannot manage all the repetitions expected, at least not without pausing and using valuable time. The ct 45 minutes is not non-stop. After each circuit (which might begin with 10 repetitions of one exercise in a timed period leading up to 4 exercises in a longer time), we are 'allowed; to rest and replenish, drink water etc. I say 'allowed' because it's not compulsory. I worked out of the 60 seconds for resting, it takes me about 30 seconds to walk from where I was at the end of the exercise to where we rest.

One thing I have discovered is that I cannot run, at least not at the pace others seem to manage. When I play badminton, quickly moving around the court is not something I'm renewed for. As for running during circuit training, whenever we are to run from one end (width) of the sports hall to another and back again, I am about half way across one width by the time all the others have finished the lot. To avoid being left behind at the start of the each exercise I now have dispensation to run only one width.

Since July I have lost about half-a-stone in weight. Nothing to do with with the c/t, all to do with finally kicking the addiction of eating yoghurt (natural only. but overdoing it) and 2 or 3 packets of carob-coated raisins every weekend. (I don't drink milk and rarely eat cheese and I consider yoghurt a junk food so do not know what possessed me to become an addict.) The first time I did c/t after my holiday in August, I found I wasn't as breathless when running and was delighted to manage almost a full circuit of the warm-up before breathless.

Months of c/t are working wonders for household management. I can now stretch from one side to the other when cleaning the shower tray. The last time I had to move our sofa across two rooms I needed help: this time I did it on my own. When cleaning the car and polishing the doors I squat alongside without pain in my legs. I don't feel quite as nervous when climbing to the top of our three steps step-ladder. When sliding a large suitcase off the top of a wardrobe I can balance the tipping end with one finger, rather than the palm of my hand. The list of uses grows.

A few in the class are obviously good at running and it shows: they talk about doing marathons. Although my inability to run is shared by a man I chat with in the gym whilst he waits for me to finish light weightlifting - and for reassurance I assume an instructor tells me that different people have different abilities - a side of me would like to be able to run, at least keep up with the others. Whether that will happen I have no idea. In the meantime, I console myself during c/t by being able to do the triceps and squat and star jumps repetitions easily.



Good point about running not being for everyone. I go to the gym three times a week for an hour in strength conditioning/circuit workouts with trainers, again mostly women and middle aged men. I feel good, strong and fit... but still can't run very well (and don't enjoy it)- and have now resigned myself to that, and don't really mind. Lycra not my thing anyway!

sg31
Lemon Slice
Posts: 690
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 289 times
Been thanked: 233 times

Re: 50 years old

#256568

Postby sg31 » October 8th, 2019, 12:41 pm

I hated running at school, if we had to do cross country runs I was in the group that ran to the first bend then walked the rest of the way. If I was playing football, rugby or tennis I would play all day because the running had a purpose.

When I started running at a much older age I found I liked running for it's own sake. To keep it interesting I'd do one session of 'sprinting' up the steepest hill in the area, 200yards up, jog back, repeat to reqired number. Sometimes it was sprint a set distance, jog for the same distrance, repeat for 5 miles. there are a lot of variations that can be introduced.

At the end of the day, do something if you find it enjoyable, don't kill yourself, be happy.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1036
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:25 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 202 times

Re: 50 years old

#256598

Postby dionaeamuscipula » October 8th, 2019, 2:59 pm

All the voices say the same things, its really annoying.

Make sure your phone doesn't turn itself off after 10 minutes.

Treadmill does not equal road

Don't do it, running is really bad for you.

DM

(don't take all of this seriously)

Slarti
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2941
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:46 pm
Has thanked: 643 times
Been thanked: 492 times

Re: 50 years old

#256601

Postby Slarti » October 8th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:Apparently, if you promise your family and friends that you will do the Couch to 5K by the end of the year, it’s binding.


The Couch?

The thing that that you sit on? :shock:


I understand each each, but that makes no sense at all.

Slarti

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1036
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:25 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 202 times

Re: 50 years old

#256608

Postby dionaeamuscipula » October 8th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Slarti wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:Apparently, if you promise your family and friends that you will do the Couch to 5K by the end of the year, it’s binding.


The Couch?

The thing that that you sit on? :shock:


I understand each each, but that makes no sense at all.

Slarti


https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/get-inspired/43501261

Rhyd6
Lemon Slice
Posts: 592
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:01 pm
Has thanked: 433 times
Been thanked: 279 times

Re: 50 years old

#256633

Postby Rhyd6 » October 8th, 2019, 5:56 pm

I didn't understand it either. I often see runners going along the path on our bottom field and they never look happy. The dog is always pleased to see them and accompanies them as far as the road, so far she's managed to beat them all. I walk about 5 miles most days and am reasonably fit so that'll do me. If you take up jogging try and join a group so that you won't be lonely, as I've mentioned those on their own look to be miserable beggars. Godd luck whatever you decide.

R6

nimnarb
Lemon Slice
Posts: 440
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 4:10 pm
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 157 times

Re: 50 years old

#256665

Postby nimnarb » October 8th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Tell you what has worked for me. Everyday, usually in the evening and then make sure you don't eat anything after.....I run on the spot until I have reached around 5-8 miles or my watch tells me that I have achieved 1000 calories. Bloody hard work and mind over matter.. sometimes it takes me 10 mins to reach a mile, sometimes 20 mins(stopping, resting, messing about) and when I really am in the mood, under 7 mins.

It helps with watching a film at the same time and not stopping until said film has finished(usually about 90 mins) and if its a good one, your mind somehow is taken off the matter in hand which is hard and no piece of cake. To start with, it was difficult to say the least and then gets progressively easier. Anyway, from 194lbs down to 147lbs in about 3 months. The last 7 lbs took quite a while but was determined to get there and reach this target. Very much though up to you, one has to want to do this. So just been away for 3 weeks and stuffed myself with great food and drink(which was my intention) and now up to 165lbs so put on 18 lbs in that time. Now I know I can do this again, so will just start afresh to reach that previous level but it does involve very little sugar(certainly no chocolates, cake etc) and a steely determination.

Did I or do I feel better at 147? Not sure, Heart rate down substantially and more consistent. Trousers fit again(but cant put phone in pocket as they fall down) but always hungry as I do like my food. Although, when I did eat a fair bit(as a treat) at 147-155 lbs felt stuffed, uncomfortable and could hardly move. Think 147 was too much, 11 stones is fine for me. But nearer 14 stones certainly wasn't. I like my food and drink, so virtually for 2-3 months, keeping my calorie intake basically at between 500-1000 calories a day was very difficult and running like a madman possessed, not easy at all. Also 20 push-ups everyday and used some light weights. But wanted to see if I could do this, without a gym, a trainer, a machine etc. And, it can be done. Do I want to continue, time will tell.....possibly, but not as intense.

Dod101
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4057
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 787 times
Been thanked: 1427 times

Re: 50 years old

#256675

Postby Dod101 » October 8th, 2019, 9:02 pm

I must say that in my late 70s I feel sorry for the younger people and at the same time reasonably fit in comparison. I walk 3/4 miles most days and if not make it up with 6/7 miles on alternate days. I have no problem doing that with no breaks and of course do my garden and household stuff as well. I could not/would not attempt to run/jog as I have had both hips replaced but I can walk almost indefinitely, subject to eating!

Exercise seems to make no difference to my weight which is slightly more than I would like but it certainly helps blood pressure and general well being. At 50 I used to walk in shorts and teeshirt up the Peak in Hong Kong from mid levels in a temperature of about 32C and humidity of 90%. No idea how I did it.

Dod

Leothebear
Lemon Slice
Posts: 393
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:18 pm
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 134 times

Re: 50 years old

#256677

Postby Leothebear » October 8th, 2019, 9:12 pm

Come off the couch slowly mate. All these sanctimonious advisors don't mention the knee and other injuries acquired by sudden exercise. I find walking swiftly uphill (at first exhausting) is a good way to slide into some kind of shape. But I for one don't get aroused by being knackered.
Good luck.
LTB


Return to “Beerpig's Snug”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], MSN [Bot] and 13 guests