Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

50 years old

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Smautf

Re: 50 years old

Postby Smautf » October 17th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:Apparently, if you promise your family and friends that you will do the Couch to 5K by the end of the year, it’s binding.

Seeing as I’ve made that promise, can anyone confirm? I would especially like to hear from those who say ‘No’.

Thanks,

HYD

I've just turned that dispiriting age myself, and you have my sympathy.

I did a Couch to 5K programme around 3 years ago for no particular reason, other than a vague sense that it was time to use it or lose it !

It was a fair bit of effort at first, but you will be surprised at how quickly you can progress. A couple of weeks was enough to shave literally minutes off my initial times.

I now run three times a week and I really enjoy it, despite having no history or particular aptitude as a runner.

I've done the odd Park Run (maybe a dozen) and one big organised 10K event, just to see what it was like, but, really, I just like the act of running itself. For me, it's about time on my own with my thoughts, out in the open. No headphones, no special clothes (although I echo comments about getting decent footwear - I over-pronate and found that stability shoes with a custom footbed were well worth the investment) - just space and rhythm. After a bit of experimentation, I've decided that my favourite time to run is around 7am.

I bought a cheap-ish Garmin GPS watch back in January, and Strava now tells me that I have done 98 runs and 600 km since I got it. All of which sounds like a lot of effort, but also generates a lot of quiet satisfaction.

As others have said, go for it - what have you got to lose ?

Chris

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » October 17th, 2019, 2:01 pm

swill453 wrote:
The OP's doing the "Couch to 5k" which does exactly that. For example the NHS version starts with 60 second runs separated by 90 second walks, for 20 minutes.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/c ... k-by-week/

Scott.

I would say that is far too much to start with for someone who is unfit. HYD will know how fit he is but he's older than I was when I started (30). I started with 300 yards walking and jogging and built up from there to running a marathon. If things go well the first day it's easy to increase it the next day but 4 or 5 days off with sore legs will lose the enthusiasm of actually starting.

The most important bit of running is actually going out of the front door.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 17th, 2019, 2:06 pm

sg31 wrote:
swill453 wrote:
The OP's doing the "Couch to 5k" which does exactly that. For example the NHS version starts with 60 second runs separated by 90 second walks, for 20 minutes.

Scott.

I would say that is far too much to start with for someone who is unfit. HYD will know how fit he is but he's older than I was when I started (30). I started with 300 yards walking and jogging and built up from there to running a marathon.

60 second runs for a beginner is probably a lot less than 300 yards.

Or did you mean 300 yards total?

Scott.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » October 17th, 2019, 3:07 pm

sg31 wrote:
swill453 wrote:

Scott.

I would say that is far too much to start with for someone who is unfit. HYD will know how fit he is but he's older than I was when I started (30). I started with 300 yards walking and jogging and built up from there to running a marathon. If things go well the first day it's easy to increase it the next day but 4 or 5 days off with sore legs will lose the enthusiasm of actually starting.

The most important bit of running is actually going out of the front door.

Agree that running for a minute after 20 years of sitting the sofa is just not possible. Never mind repeating that 10 times in a half hour period, three times a week. The only way I’ve made it work is to jog as slowly as possible without actually walking.

HYD

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » October 17th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:
Agree that running for a minute after 20 years of sitting the sofa is just not possible. Never mind repeating that 10 times in a half hour period, three times a week. The only way I’ve made it work is to jog as slowly as possible without actually walking.

HYD

If you are going to do it then you need to find a way that you are happy with, and capable of doing. However "jogging as slowly as possible without actually walking" isn't either really doing it, or adjusting your body to learning how to jog, let alone run.

You might be better off transitioning from "20 years of sitting..." to simply walking, to walking faster, to walking with a very occasional short (but proper) jog even if that just lasts 5-10 seconds. Build that up slowly to longer and more frequent jogs. If that takes weeks, months or years so be it. You will be healthier for it.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » October 17th, 2019, 4:26 pm

dealtn wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:

HYD

If you are going to do it then you need to find a way that you are happy with, and capable of doing. However "jogging as slowly as possible without actually walking" isn't either really doing it, or adjusting your body to learning how to jog, let alone run.

You might be better off transitioning from "20 years of sitting..." to simply walking, to walking faster, to walking with a very occasional short (but proper) jog even if that just lasts 5-10 seconds. Build that up slowly to longer and more frequent jogs. If that takes weeks, months or years so be it. You will be healthier for it.

I already walk between 5,000 and 10,000 steps a day, so walking isn’t a problem.

Running on the other hand . . .

As mentioned before I don’t think asking someone (who is completely unfit) to run for one minute, 9 times in half an hour is achievable. But I guess I’ll soon find out. I’ve only be following my own routine at the moment, which is obviously a lot more relaxed than the official app.

HYD

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » October 17th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:
dealtn wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:

HYD

I already walk between 5,000 and 10,000 steps a day, so walking isn’t a problem.

As mentioned before I don’t think asking someone (who is completely unfit) to run for one minute, 9 times in half an hour is achievable. But I guess I’ll soon find out. I’ve only be following my own routine at the moment, which is obviously a lot more relaxed than the official app.

HYD

HYD, I started by going round the block which was just a few hundred yards. Walk quickly and break into a jog for a short distance, If you can jog for 10 yards that's great. Walk a bit then jog again. Don't end up gasping for air, just get round the course. See how your legs are, if they are ok have a days rest then go again.

The second time try to jog a little more each time. Carry on like that, one day on, one day off. You will surprise yourself. In a couple of weeks you will be running more than walking, a week later you will jog the whole distance.

You can do it. Trust me, you really can, it just take the will power to go outside the front door. That's the hard part.

Good luck.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 17th, 2019, 6:22 pm

I found that one of the biggest beneficial influences on my jogging was to make sure that I found a good album to listen to.

I'm not a massive Muse fan, but Origin of Symmetry and Black Holes & Revelations are my go-to jogging albums, and I find that they really keep me going at a good, steady pace. I never listen to them at any other time, but I love them for jogging-music...

Obviously great care is needed when running with headphones on, especially near roads and if crossing junctions. I'm lucky in that my normal route doesn't cross too many roads, and I do tend to prefer quieter times to get out anyway, but for me the thought of running without music would put me off ever putting my trainers on again...

As a few people have already said, the single biggest blocker to this type of exercise is that front door....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » October 17th, 2019, 8:23 pm

sg31 wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:
dealtn wrote:

HYD

HYD, I started by going round the block which was just a few hundred yards. Walk quickly and break into a jog for a short distance, If you can jog for 10 yards that's great. Walk a bit then jog again. Don't end up gasping for air, just get round the course. See how your legs are, if they are ok have a days rest then go again.

The second time try to jog a little more each time. Carry on like that, one day on, one day off. You will surprise yourself. In a couple of weeks you will be running more than walking, a week later you will jog the whole distance.

You can do it. Trust me, you really can, it just take the will power to go outside the front door. That's the hard part.

Good luck.

sg 31,

Your reply is almost spot on for where I find myself at the moment. I know that I have a lot of work to do before the New Year but it’s good to know I’m not a lost cause yet.

Thanks,

HYD

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » October 17th, 2019, 8:34 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I found that one of the biggest beneficial influences on my jogging was to make sure that I found a good album to listen to.

As a few people have already said, the single biggest blocker to this type of exercise is that front door....

I have no interest in listening to music whilst I ‘run’. But perhaps that because I’m not able to do that for more than 30 Secs.

As far as the front door goes, I can manage that. I’m just still at the stage of saying ‘Hey Neighbour, you haven’t seen me, right?’, rather than ‘Hey Neighbour, do you know I’ve run 38 miles in the last week? You don’t care? Alrighty then.’

HYD

djbenedict
2 Lemon pips

Postby djbenedict » October 17th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Nothing complex about this. Fitness (and unfitness) are adaption processes. If you want to get fitter, you will have to get out of breath a bit, etc. That stimulates your body to change. If you don't get out of breath a bit, etc., your body won't change. The end. Don't listen to anyone who makes it more complicated than that, and btw, supplements are a scam.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 17th, 2019, 9:01 pm

I'm normal weight and do a lot of walking, but absolutely hate running
I've tried a few times but within a minute or so my ankles/knees etc are aching. Dunno about 'feeling great' - it has always made me feel hot, sick, and unwell. I can happily keep walking for miles, and often do as I don't drive

Unfortunately a lot of my colleagues at work are running-bores and/or cycling-bores
Cycling perhaps, but how anyone could 'enjoy' a run after work is beyond me. I'm normally so knackered I just want to sit down and read. Some of the cretins even spend money travelling abroad to run marathons. Bloody idiots.
(Another reason I cant be [expletive deleted] trying running again- don't want to end up like them :)

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » October 17th, 2019, 9:09 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I'm normal weight and do a lot of walking, but absolutely hate running
I've tried a few times but within a minute or so my ankles/knees etc are aching. Dunno about 'feeling great' - it has always made me feel hot, sick, and unwell. I can happily keep walking for miles, and often do as I don't drive

Unfortunately a lot of my colleagues at work are running-bores and/or cycling-bores
Cycling perhaps, but how anyone could 'enjoy' a run after work is beyond me. I'm normally so knackered I just want to sit down and read. Some of the cretins even spend money travelling abroad to run marathons. Bloody idiots.
(Another reason I cant be [expletive deleted] trying running again- don't want to end up like them :)

I started running when I had an office job. The company organised a rugby match against another company and I wanted to play. I was a county class player at under 16 level but hadn't played since my early 20's. That was my motivation to start running. I didn't enjoy running to start with but the fitter I got the more addictive it became.

I think my body was craving the exercise

It's all about your motivation in the early stages. Most people will reach their goal if they can stay motivated

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 17th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Did you have any pain in the joints/shins? (the usual comment from friends is "oh you need proper running gear - these £120 trainers to start with")

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » October 18th, 2019, 6:41 am

Howyoudoin wrote:The only way I’ve made it work is to jog as slowly as possible without actually walking.

For some people, that's the best way, and all you need to do at first. You just need to make very gradual improvements.

Are you going to anywhere nice to do your jogging? e.g. a local park. I'm just saying that because if you are finding it hard to motivate yourself then a nice running environment is definitely beneficial. Also until you get more hardened into actually liking running, think about checking the weather forecasts, since we are heading into the wet time of the year, obviously try to time your jogs with less chance of getting soaked.

Matt

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » October 18th, 2019, 6:46 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:Did you have any pain in the joints/shins? (the usual comment from friends is "oh you need proper running gear - these £120 trainers to start with")

Which in my opinion is dangerous rubbish. You need to build up strength and flexibility. For me, regular leg stretch, joint movement exercises and certain weight training ones are beneficial.

IMHO super-duper padded trainers will just encourage bad style, and a weaker running body. It's you that's doing the exercise, not the shoes!

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 18th, 2019, 9:01 am

It seems many years since a pair of daps was all you needed to go running. It never seemed to do us any harm. There again, football boots were a different style from those used today, as were the leather balls.

TJH

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 18th, 2019, 9:54 am

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Did you have any pain in the joints/shins? (the usual comment from friends is "oh you need proper running gear - these £120 trainers to start with")

Which in my opinion is dangerous rubbish. You need to build up strength and flexibility. For me, regular leg stretch, joint movement exercises and certain weight training ones are beneficial.

IMHO super-duper padded trainers will just encourage bad style, and a weaker running body. It's you that's doing the exercise, not the shoes!

It seems to be generally agreed that running on hard surfaces is 'not good for the joints' and that decent trainers can help.
In the unlikely event I tried running again, most of my route is tarmac until I get down to the River Kennet, then it's grass towpath

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » October 18th, 2019, 10:05 am

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:

I started running in plimsolls, big mistake. It didn't take much running to find out that proper running shoes are beneficial. My first pair were cheap, Hi Tec, Silver Shadows, I think I paid £22 for them in the early 80's. Now they are £80 but I have googled around and they can be bought for under £40.

They got me through my first marathon. A friend who was in the forces told me they were issued as army kit. I don't know if that's still the case.

If you are running on soft surfaces like grass you can get away with normal trainers but pounding the roads does jar.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 18th, 2019, 10:12 am

Looks like Sports Direct do a 'Hi Tec Silver Shadow 2' for £22, so assume they are a Sports Direct special i.e. a lower grade with a similar name
I had loads of problems with Sports Direct 'Karrimor' walking boots, which were crap.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”