Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

50 years old

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Re: 50 years old

Postby Howyoudoin » October 10th, 2019, 7:59 pm

It's interesting that the thread was hijacked by people who have no interest in engaging with my OP, they only wanted to talk about how much exercise they do and how many miles they cover a week.

That's my experience in real life too. Horrible people these runner types.

HYD

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 10th, 2019, 9:36 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:It's interesting that the thread was hijacked by people who have no interest in engaging with my OP, they only wanted to talk about how much exercise they do and how many miles they cover a week.

HYD

If you wish to do it then do it.

If not, don't.

If you decide to do it then there has been some good advice here.

Start slowly, stop when it hurts, start again when it stops hurting. Repeat.

John

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » October 10th, 2019, 11:17 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:It's interesting that the thread was hijacked by people who have no interest in engaging with my OP, they only wanted to talk about how much exercise they do and how many miles they cover a week.

HYD

If you wish to do it then do it.

If not, don't.

If you decide to do it then there has been some good advice here.

Start slowly, stop when it hurts, start again when it stops hurting. Repeat.

John

Brilliant advice. Thanks John.

HYD

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » October 11th, 2019, 8:06 am

Howyoudoin wrote:That's my experience in real life too. Horrible people these runner types.

Exactly, smug unhelpful scroundrels!

8-)

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » October 12th, 2019, 10:11 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:That's my experience in real life too. Horrible people these runner types.

I think a lot of people who take their exercise very seriously tend to be somewhat self-obsessed generally - the `my body is a temple' type.

I find the same when I'm cycling. Although I enjoy cycling I do it because I enjoy pottering round on a bike, not to take exercise or get fit. I wear normal clothes and my bike's a fairly heavy old hybrid. I sometimes pass people of a similar type going the other way, and 9 times out of 10 we greet each other with a smile, but that never happens with `serious' Lycra-clad cyclists, who generally look as though they're in pain, crouched over their bars and peering through their alien style goggles.

Likewise, if I'm cycling along a country lane I'll often be greeted by walkers, but never by joggers / runners, who have the same expression of bravely borne pain on their haggard faces.

Of course I understand that people who are exercising hard are bound to be focused on their exercise rather than social niceties, but I often find their attitudes reflected in the rest of their life - people who take their exercise regimes seriously also seem to take their life very seriously as well. They tend to be rather puritanical, and to look down on those of us who don't constantly aspire to better ourselves (by their standards) as being frivolous, and doomed to an early grave.

I take no medication or supplements at all, and I'm very grateful that I don't have any aches and pains despite being in my mid 60's, eating and drinking exactly what I want, and only taking exercise as a side effect of doing something I enjoy, such as cycling or walking. I strongly believe that by far the biggest threat to health is stress, and that being happy and contented with one's life is far more important than any amount of abstention or vigorous exercise.

I'm also deeply sceptical of the health supplement industry, which I believe is almost exclusively based on little or no scientific evidence and which targets people who are in pain, and therefore vulnerable, with lies and made up pseudo-science.

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » October 13th, 2019, 3:55 pm

I'm too fat really.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » October 16th, 2019, 5:02 pm

tjh290633 wrote:The one form of exercise I can recommend is horizontal, with the eyes closed. ...

I would be wary of doing it with eyes closed - your partner might feel insulted! ;-)

Gengulphus

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » October 16th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:Apparently, if you promise your family and friends that you will do the Couch to 5K by the end of the year, it’s binding.

Seeing as I’ve made that promise, can anyone confirm? I would especially like to hear from those who say ‘No’.

No, it's not binding, other than possibly in very special circumstances.

But there is a price to be paid for not doing it. How big that price is I cannot tell you - it depends on how much of a reputation you have among your family and friends as someone who keeps their promises, and how much you value keeping that reputation...

Gengulphus

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » October 16th, 2019, 5:16 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:Apparently, if you promise your family and friends that you will do the Couch to 5K by the end of the year, it’s binding.

Seeing as I’ve made that promise, can anyone confirm? I would especially like to hear from those who say ‘No’.

But there is a price to be paid for not doing it. How big that price is I cannot tell you - it depends on how much of a reputation you have among your family and friends as someone who keeps their promises, and how much you value keeping that reputation...

Gengulphus

There could also be another price. HYD's long term health, but that's his call to make. ;)

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » October 16th, 2019, 5:18 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:. I sometimes pass people of a similar type going the other way, and 9 times out of 10 we greet each other with a smile, but that never happens with `serious' Lycra-clad cyclists, who generally look as though they're in pain, crouched over their bars and peering through their alien style goggles.

You live in a different part of the world to me then- come to Northumberland, very friendly place. It is considered rude for one cyclist not to acknowledge another (recreational or "serious"). Alien style goggles? You must mean sunglasses I suppose :geek:

And I can think of an activity that give tremendous pleasure but contorted faces would suggest pain so maybe cyclists are in a state of ecstasy?

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » October 16th, 2019, 5:40 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:

I think a lot of people who take their exercise very seriously tend to be somewhat self-obsessed generally - the `my body is a temple' type.

I find the same when I'm cycling. Although I enjoy cycling I do it because I enjoy pottering round on a bike, not to take exercise or get fit. I wear normal clothes and my bike's a fairly heavy old hybrid. I sometimes pass people of a similar type going the other way, and 9 times out of 10 we greet each other with a smile, but that never happens with `serious' Lycra-clad cyclists, who generally look as though they're in pain, crouched over their bars and peering through their alien style goggles.

Likewise, if I'm cycling along a country lane I'll often be greeted by walkers, but never by joggers / runners, who have the same expression of bravely borne pain on their haggard faces.

This is a big generalisation! I'm a keen runner and a keen walker (locally and in my travels).

I'm sociable to anyone about when I run or walk.

Another thing you might want to bear in mind, is that *most* people when running in a public place, often deliberately hold a low profile and avoid eye contact with others. Unfortunately this is usually quite justifable. Why? Because of the abuse lots of runners get from moronic motorists.

Does anyone remember the case of "fat-shamed" jogger got revenge on a moron van driver?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/peop ... 05661.html

Lots of other tales of aggro
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ize-runner

FWIW I used to road on roadside, but as it's horrid on my way, I drive to local wood and drove. But despite my wonderfully graceful figure even I used to get a share of random beebed horns, and shouts, "Oh look there's a jogger out, I'll take the pi$$, and try to freak him out".

So less generalisation and more rationalisation please!
Matt

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » October 16th, 2019, 8:02 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:So less generalisation and more rationalisation please!

Umm... Be careful what you ask for - you might get it! ;-}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalization_(psychology)

Gengulphus

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » October 17th, 2019, 9:05 am

Gengulphus wrote:

Gengulphus

I’m definitely doing it. Got myself a hand me down Versa, which helps to keep me interested and spent circa £100 on relevant clothing and footwear.

I still hate it though. I don’t think I’ll ever be more than a very reluctant jogger.

HYD

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » October 17th, 2019, 9:55 am

My only advice, which you probably know, is the importance of stretching before and after your run. It can prevent injury and aching for days afterwards.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 17th, 2019, 9:56 am

Leothebear wrote:My only advice, which you probably know, is the importance of stretching before and after your run. It can prevent injury and aching for days afterwards.

Hmm, definitely after, but stretching before warming up isn't a great idea.

Scott.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » October 17th, 2019, 10:47 am

Howyoudoin wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:

Gengulphus

I’m definitely doing it. Got myself a hand me down Versa, which helps to keep me interested and spent circa £100 on relevant clothing and footwear.

I still hate it though. I don’t think I’ll ever be more than a very reluctant jogger.

HYD

You really don't need any sophisticated kit. I wear cheapo shorts, a t-shirt or running vest, and £26 minimalist running shoes. Admittedly I've a v. light waterproof top too for crappy days, and leggings+beanie+gloves for when it's freezing.

The only essential thing is you!

Matt

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 17th, 2019, 11:02 am

I jogged at one third of that age. Didn't enjoy it, and found the shaking up from pounding the tarmac felt neither pleasant nor healthy. OK, I expect a bit of technique and fancy footwear might've helped with that, but those kinds of things assume a budget. Much rather 100 miles on a bike than three running.

And that's from someone who loves walking, and insists on a decent dose of it every day!

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » October 17th, 2019, 12:40 pm

The big problem when you are starting out is aching in the legs for a few days after running. Warming down helps with that but the best advice is to take it easy and don't do too much. Just a gentle jog for a couple of hundred yards. If you are ok after that increase the distance a bit. Keep increasing slowly until you get to know your body.

It might seem slow progress but as you increase the distance you will find progress soon mounts up.

I was going to say 'have fun' but that's a bit of a stretch when you start out. Just do it, the sense of satisfaction when you reach your target distance makes up for the effort expended.

I'm just starting lifting weights again after 4 years off. I did a very light schedule the first day, never even broke into a sweat....I couldn't walk down the stairs this morning. Very undignified having to go down sideways one step at a time, I was glad there was only my wife there to laugh at me.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 17th, 2019, 12:54 pm

sg31 wrote:The big problem when you are starting out is aching in the legs for a few days after running. Warming down helps with that but the best advice is to take it easy and don't do too much. Just a gentle jog for a couple of hundred yards. If you are ok after that increase the distance a bit. Keep increasing slowly until you get to know your body.

It might seem slow progress but as you increase the distance you will find progress soon mounts up.

The OP's doing the "Couch to 5k" which does exactly that. For example the NHS version starts with 60 second runs separated by 90 second walks, for 20 minutes.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/c ... k-by-week/

Scott.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 17th, 2019, 12:56 pm

sg31 wrote:I'm just starting lifting weights again after 4 years off .... I was glad there was only my wife there to laugh at me.

And now there's the whole of lemonfool to laugh at you. Or should that be with you?

p.s. Was the weight greater or lesser than your wife?

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”