Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Steffers0,Anonymous,CryptoPlankton,GrahamPlatt,Walkeia, for Donating to support the site

You haven’t been on holiday until . . .

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice
Posts: 960
Joined: June 4th, 2018, 7:58 pm
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 282 times

You haven’t been on holiday until . . .

#258986

Postby Howyoudoin » October 19th, 2019, 4:44 pm

. . . you’ve been on holiday with a family aged 1 to 71 who have never been on holiday abroad before.

Those who have seen my other thread about those who give most will understand where I’m coming from.

For people who live in Crimea, it’s not easy to move about, mostly because of the average wage, but also because of Visa restrictions etc.

To see my Wife’s family enjoying this holiday in Turkey is, I imagine, like watching your kids enjoy their first holiday.

They’re all in the pool at the moment. They live on the coast in Crimea but NOONE has a private pool. Just fantastic.

HYD

Dod101
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4102
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 797 times
Been thanked: 1444 times

Re: You haven’t been on holiday until . . .

#259005

Postby Dod101 » October 19th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:. . . you’ve been on holiday with a family aged 1 to 71 who have never been on holiday abroad before.

Those who have seen my other thread about those who give most will understand where I’m coming from.

For people who live in Crimea, it’s not easy to move about, mostly because of the average wage, but also because of Visa restrictions etc.

To see my Wife’s family enjoying this holiday in Turkey is, I imagine, like watching your kids enjoy their first holiday.

They’re all in the pool at the moment. They live on the coast in Crimea but NOONE has a private pool. Just fantastic.

HYD


We have something in common then. I do not have a private pool either.

Dod

Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice
Posts: 960
Joined: June 4th, 2018, 7:58 pm
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 282 times

Re: You haven’t been on holiday until . . .

#259006

Postby Howyoudoin » October 19th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:. . . you’ve been on holiday with a family aged 1 to 71 who have never been on holiday abroad before.

Those who have seen my other thread about those who give most will understand where I’m coming from.

For people who live in Crimea, it’s not easy to move about, mostly because of the average wage, but also because of Visa restrictions etc.

To see my Wife’s family enjoying this holiday in Turkey is, I imagine, like watching your kids enjoy their first holiday.

They’re all in the pool at the moment. They live on the coast in Crimea but NOONE has a private pool. Just fantastic.

HYD


We have something in common then. I do not have a private pool either.

Dod


And nor do I.

For Christ Sake.

HYD

stewamax
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1034
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 2:40 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 198 times

Re: You haven’t been on holiday until . . .

#259063

Postby stewamax » October 20th, 2019, 10:18 am

Where I live in Rutland, houses with pools appear to be a rarity. But Google satellite view is surprisingly revealing: tell-tale rectangular patches of blue everywhere, even in the more déclassé areas. To HYD's point, when I was young immediately post-war, it was an exciting novelty to be invited to swim in one of the few private pools in the neighbourhood. A rising standard of living later made it commonplace.

<tongue_in_cheek>
My pool – at least the larger of my open-air pools – is not private either. With true public spirit, mild condescension and a mere hint of patronage I open it to the better sort of proletariat in January and February evenings.
</tongue_in_cheek>

Rhyd6
Lemon Slice
Posts: 599
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:01 pm
Has thanked: 444 times
Been thanked: 281 times

Re: You haven’t been on holiday until . . .

#259099

Postby Rhyd6 » October 20th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Well done HYD. There is something very heartwarming watching people enjoying something they've never experienced before. We have an outdoor pool - well it's an extremely large duck pond with an island in the middle :D Most people my age and their children have learned to swim in our duck pond. Dad used to let us make a fire and cook spuds, mum used to supply the odd home made drop scone and we thought we were in heaven. This summer we hosted a birthday party for a friends son. He was 11 and it was his last party before his group split up as they've gone to different schools. They kayaked on the pond, had a go at clay pigeon shooting, quad biking and learning to drive my Aggie. They stayed (camped) in the shed (2 static caravans joined together) and collected eggs for their breakfast. They all said it was the best party ever. Luckily our eldest grandson and his wife are both teachers and both sporty so other than the driving they supervised activities but with a light hand. Oh to be 11 again and enjoy things so wholeheartedly.

R6

stewamax
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1034
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 2:40 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 198 times

Re: You haven’t been on holiday until . . .

#259153

Postby stewamax » October 20th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Kids will remember that type of activity long after the latest gizmos are forgotten and gathering dust.
My father acquired lots of army surplus equipment when WW2 ended. My pool was an RAF dinghy with chubby sides that smelled strongly of warm rubber and filled with water, and my play tent was a red bell-tent that I think was for use with the dinghy. The dinghy inflator looked a concertina.
My twin sister and I played throughout several summers with these; and the sun was of course always shining!

Dod101
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4102
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 797 times
Been thanked: 1444 times

Re: You haven’t been on holiday until . . .

#259183

Postby Dod101 » October 20th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:. . . you’ve been on holiday with a family aged 1 to 71 who have never been on holiday abroad before.

Those who have seen my other thread about those who give most will understand where I’m coming from.

For people who live in Crimea, it’s not easy to move about, mostly because of the average wage, but also because of Visa restrictions etc.

To see my Wife’s family enjoying this holiday in Turkey is, I imagine, like watching your kids enjoy their first holiday.

They’re all in the pool at the moment. They live on the coast in Crimea but NOONE has a private pool. Just fantastic.

HYD


We have something in common then. I do not have a private pool either.

Dod


And nor do I.

For Christ Sake.

HYD

Let me just clarify where I am coming from. You said 'They live on the coast in Crimea but NOONE (which I take to mean no one) has a private pool.' I thought it was perfectly reasonable to say that neither do I. You seem to take exception to that.

Dod

Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice
Posts: 960
Joined: June 4th, 2018, 7:58 pm
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 282 times

Re: You haven’t been on holiday until . . .

#259347

Postby Howyoudoin » October 21st, 2019, 8:24 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
We have something in common then. I do not have a private pool either.

Dod


And nor do I.

For Christ Sake.

HYD

Let me just clarify where I am coming from. You said 'They live on the coast in Crimea but NOONE (which I take to mean no one) has a private pool.' I thought it was perfectly reasonable to say that neither do I. You seem to take exception to that.

Dod


I’m guessing that 99% of people on TLF do not have a private pool.

The point of my original post seems to have gone right over your head.

HYD

Dod101
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4102
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 797 times
Been thanked: 1444 times

Re: You haven’t been on holiday until . . .

#259366

Postby Dod101 » October 21st, 2019, 10:13 pm

HYD

No it hasn't but the construction of you original post caused me to be slightly amused and my comment was originally intended to be somewhat tongue in cheek. That seems to have escaped you.

Dod

Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice
Posts: 960
Joined: June 4th, 2018, 7:58 pm
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 282 times

Re: You haven’t been on holiday until . . .

#259371

Postby Howyoudoin » October 21st, 2019, 10:27 pm

Dod101 wrote:HYD

No it hasn't but the construction of you original post caused me to be slightly amused and my comment was originally intended to be somewhat tongue in cheek. That seems to have escaped you.

Dod


Perhaps you can point me to what amused you in my OP?

Having read your posts here and elsewhere it would be great if I was able to ‘block’ you. Unfortunately, that option seems unavailable to me, so I can only appeal to the better side of your nature not to reply to any of my posts ever again.

HYD

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3843
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 430 times
Been thanked: 639 times

Re: You haven’t been on holiday until . . .

#259381

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 22nd, 2019, 12:29 am

I have better than a pool, I have a river. :mrgreen:

Sadly not a private swim spot. I have to go up or down river for that. :oops:

(and I'm mildly bemused that you should consider it remarkable that none of your wife's folks has a private pool, or that you should be offended by Dod posting the blindingly obvious followup to that).

Dod101
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4102
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 797 times
Been thanked: 1444 times

Re: You haven’t been on holiday until . . .

#259390

Postby Dod101 » October 22nd, 2019, 8:00 am

Howyoudoin wrote:
Dod101 wrote:HYD

No it hasn't but the construction of you original post caused me to be slightly amused and my comment was originally intended to be somewhat tongue in cheek. That seems to have escaped you.

Dod


Perhaps you can point me to what amused you in my OP?

Having read your posts here and elsewhere it would be great if I was able to ‘block’ you. Unfortunately, that option seems unavailable to me, so I can only appeal to the better side of your nature not to reply to any of my posts ever again.

HYD


I will be happy to respond to your request and wish you well.

Dod


Return to “Beerpig's Snug”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests