Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Security for online transactions

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Security for online transactions

Postby swill453 » October 29th, 2019, 5:27 pm

todthedog wrote:local branch of nationwide are now saying that verification might be possible by card reader next year, up till then of course security or lack of it will be down to the customer if the customer lacks a mobile phone or connection to receive their texts. Such forward planning!

The specific security test that the "text to mobile phone" is checking is "Is the person doing the transaction in possession of the registered mobile phone".

One would have thought that it's not beyond the bounds of technology to come up with a way of verifying this fact when the phone doesn't have a mobile signal but is connected to the Internet by other means (wifi).

I know this probably isn't very easy to do securely, but surely it's not impossible?

Scott.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » October 29th, 2019, 5:42 pm

todthedog wrote:Oh well good try.

local branch of nationwide are now saying that verification might be possible by card reader next year, up till then of course security or lack of it will be down to the customer if the customer lacks a mobile phone or connection to receive their texts. Such forward planning!

But if the customer loses the phone or has the phone nicked and hacked or its number cloned, there is nothing to stop a thief receiving the code and proceeding with a fraudulent transfer.

Must apply to many who only use a smart phone for all their transactions.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 29th, 2019, 5:51 pm

supremetwo wrote:But if the customer loses the phone or has the phone nicked and hacked or its number cloned, there is nothing to stop a thief receiving the code and proceeding with a fraudulent transfer.

Must apply to many who only use a smart phone for all their transactions.

There's usually more than one security factor in play though. For an online purchase usually the CVV code is required as well.

It's never 100% secure though.

Scott.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » October 29th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Oh. I didn't think it did.
Sorry.
Maybe there is an alterative from your supplier.
Also Vodafone sell a mobile booster?

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 29th, 2019, 6:31 pm

swill453 wrote:One would have thought that it's not beyond the bounds of technology to come up with a way of verifying this fact when the phone doesn't have a mobile signal but is connected to the Internet by other means (wifi).

I know this probably isn't very easy to do securely, but surely it's not impossible?

There is a method, and it exists now!

As I posted above, Amex will be sending a push notification to the Amex app if you have it installed on your phone, which will obviously use WiFi. Only if you don't have the Amex app will they send you a verification code, and even then they say they will do this "by text and/or email".

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/bene ... u/safekey/

This technology using an authenticator on your phone (and using WiFi) is perfectly standard as anyone using Microsoft or Google 2FA will tell you (and I hope that is everyone here - and if you are not, then turn on 2FA now!).

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 29th, 2019, 6:39 pm

stooz wrote:Also Vodafone sell a mobile booster?

for several years, until Vodafone improved their coverage, we used a Vodafone Sure Signal box that connected to our broadband router, and provided us with a Vodafone (3G ?) Signal. However, it was not always reliable, and my first box died.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 29th, 2019, 10:32 pm

scotia wrote:
stooz wrote:Also Vodafone sell a mobile booster?

for several years, until Vodafone improved their coverage, we used a Vodafone Sure Signal box that connected to our broadband router, and provided us with a Vodafone (3G ?) Signal. However, it was not always reliable, and my first box died.

I have a similar device from EE and it works very well. However they stopped issuing them to residential customers several years ago when WiFi calling became available on more phones so the need for them dropped away.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”