Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Electric shavers any suggestions please.

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Electric shavers any suggestions please.

Postby swill453 » October 29th, 2019, 4:46 pm

bungeejumper wrote:The problem with a blade shave (which I much prefer) is that the dozy half hour between wake-up and breakfast is really not a good time to be facing death or mutilation by cold steel. That being the case, I'd rather take my chances with a single blade (basic throwaway bic) than with anything that looks as though it might remove my nose in five separate slices.

I use a five-blade (having upgraded from a 3 a few years back) and find it much safer than anything I've used before. You can whack it at your face at any angle and pressure with no qualms. And it shaves pretty well too.

With frequent resharpening (actually re-aligning) I find each blade lasts 3-5 months (though I admit to only shaving about every 3rd day).

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 29th, 2019, 5:08 pm

swill453 wrote:I use a five-blade (having upgraded from a 3 a few years back) and find it much safer than anything I've used before. You can whack it at your face at any angle and pressure with no qualms. And it shaves pretty well too.

Oddly, I find that the gaps between the five blades get clogged up pretty fast with bits of bristle, and after that it's just skating across my face instead of doing any actual cutting. (And it's probably ruined unless I can somehow dislodge the jammed-in hairs and flush them away under the tap.)

Still, as mentioned, I do have the bristles of a warthog, so maybe that's just my problem, and mine alone? ;)

I do keep a £10 Philips shaver in the car for real emergencies - it uses two AA batteries which will last for maybe six shaves before they're spent. And yes, it jams when confronted with the unnatural terrors of my chin. :(

Still, it's been nice chatting. Must go. Only 48 unshaven hours left till Hallowe'en, and all those children out there to frighten. :mrgreen:

BJ

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » October 29th, 2019, 5:31 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Oddly, I find that the gaps between the five blades get clogged up pretty fast with bits of bristle, and after that it's just skating across my face instead of doing any actual cutting. (And it's probably ruined unless I can somehow dislodge the jammed-in hairs and flush them away under the tap.)

I have that problem with many razors, depending on the design of the junction of the head and the handle. The best ones I find are from Cornerstone, easy access to get rid of those clogs with a blast from the tap. They stay sharp for 2 weeks with a shave every day.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 29th, 2019, 5:34 pm

sunnyjoe wrote:I have that problem with many razors, depending on the design of the junction of the head and the handle. The best ones I find are from Cornerstone, easy access to get rid of those clogs with a blast from the tap. They stay sharp for 2 weeks with a shave every day.

I use Gillette Fusion, and find it clears fine with tapping it on the sink in some warm water.

Scott.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » October 29th, 2019, 6:57 pm

swill453 wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:The problem with a blade shave (which I much prefer) is that the dozy half hour between wake-up and breakfast is really not a good time to be facing death or mutilation by cold steel. That being the case, I'd rather take my chances with a single blade (basic throwaway bic) than with anything that looks as though it might remove my nose in five separate slices.

I use a five-blade (having upgraded from a 3 a few years back) and find it much safer than anything I've used before. You can whack it at your face at any angle and pressure with no qualms. And it shaves pretty well too.

With frequent resharpening (actually re-aligning) I find each blade lasts 3-5 months (though I admit to only shaving about every 3rd day).

Scott.

How do you resharpen/re-align?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 29th, 2019, 7:11 pm

nimnarb wrote:How do you resharpen/re-align?

Rub the blades backwards on some denim for a few strokes. Acts like a barber's strop. Keeps a blade going for many times longer.

See here for example https://www.razorsbydorco.co.uk/communi ... ving-hack/

Scott.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » October 30th, 2019, 1:24 am

panamagold wrote:However, being the tight-wad that Iam, I use these and get a consistently 'good' shave and no complaints.

Well you've got a complaint from me! I hate disposable anythings, but disposable razors must be near the top of the list.

The USA population dumps 2 billion disposable razors every year, and that's a hell of a lot of crap going into landfill. Surely it's worth some minor inconvenience to avoid being part of that problem?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 30th, 2019, 9:14 am

<Devil's advocate mode>
Clitheroekid wrote:The USA population dumps 2 billion disposable razors every year, and that's a hell of a lot of crap going into landfill.

No it isn't. Two billion sounds a lot if you say it quickly, but it equates to around 20 razors a year for every US adult male. They weigh 5 to 10 grammes each, so that's less plastic than a takeaway carton, I should guess, and a lot less than a month's worth of plastic straws. The steel in the razor will be less than 2 grammes, at least for a single-blade, so that's, ermmm, maybe an ounce per man per year. (Teaspoon? Box of paperclips? A couple of AA batteries?) America has considerably bigger landfill problems than that.
Surely it's worth some minor inconvenience to avoid being part of that problem?

Agreed, it is. But does ordering a new electric razor all the way from China every five years solve that problem?

</Devil's advocate mode>

The environmental problem, as explained by this nicely balanced Huff Post article, is not so much that the volume of waste is a problem, but that your super-macho modern five-blade cartridge razor contains an unrecyclable mix of plastic, rubber, steel and god knows what else. (Keep it simple, guys.) Actually, I'd doubt that a dead electric shaver is worth disassembling for recycling either, for very much the same reasons. I'd be amazed if they don't go into landfill, although I'd be very happy to be wrong.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 0953deb7de

BJ

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » October 30th, 2019, 10:56 am

Clitheroekid wrote:
panamagold wrote:However, being the tight-wad that Iam, I use these and get a consistently 'good' shave and no complaints.

Well you've got a complaint from me! I hate disposable anythings, but disposable razors must be near the top of the list.

The USA population dumps 2 billion disposable razors every year, and that's a hell of a lot of crap going into landfill. Surely it's worth some minor inconvenience to avoid being part of that problem?

This coming from somebody who is heavily invested in Petrofac.

From the company's own web site:

We provide integrated services across the oil and gas asset life cycle in 29 countries worldwide. ... We are a leading international service provider to the oil and gas production and processing industry. We help our clients unlock the full value of their energy assets. (My underline).

Oh, and remind me of all these vacations you tell us about on here where you jet off to destinations far and wide every year.

For the record, when I load up the 17 year old Ford F150 to the gunnels for a trip to the déchetterie the heads of the razors end up in the meteaux and the handles in the plastique. There could even be a chance that some of the recycled stuff I've had around my face and other parts has ended up in some of the Chinese imports you have purchased and now use!

Either, let him/her who has never sinned cast the first stone or if not relevant or appropriate may I suggest you sign-up to the Harry and Megan Windsor appreciation society.

I have always noted your commitment and the knowledgable advice you deliver on this site which I know is very much appreciated, but please less of the holier than thou lectures. Leave that to the two aforementioned above.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”