Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Swine Fever

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
neversay
Lemon Slice

Swine Fever

Postby neversay » November 4th, 2019, 10:18 pm

Tthe Swine Fever outbreak in China and Asia is massive but hardly making the news here in the UK:

"As many as half of China’s pigs, an estimated 300 million, have died of the virus or been exterminated in the last 13 months. The disease has spread to more than 50 countries, including Vietnam, Laos, South Korea, the Philippines and East Timor."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenroberts ... k-exports/

A quarter of the world's pig population is expected to die. Just imagine if it was a human transmissible virus.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Swine Fever

Postby bungeejumper » November 5th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Indeed. So it's a bit of an awkward moment for America to start a trade war that would otherwise seem to offer US pig producers an unmissable export opportunity. ;)

Reuters (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKCN1UI02I) says that US farmers are getting ready to cash in on the opportunity. The only trouble is, they'll first have to stop using the growth drugs that are banned in China, just as they are in Europe.

The report says that the EU currently supplies two thirds of China's pigmeat imports. I expect Donald will find a way of insisting that the Chinese import ban is all Europe's fault. :roll:

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 5th, 2019, 2:06 pm

So accelerate the trade deal with Blighty under which we adopt US food safety standards. Then import US pigs en masse to Belfast, shift them across that open border to Dublin (labelled as locally grown), and then they're EU produce. Simple. So long as those pesky EU folks don't insist on a backstop against exactly that kind of thing.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 5th, 2019, 2:12 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:So accelerate the trade deal with Blighty under which we adopt US food safety standards.

Mmmm yummy growth hormones to go with our chlorinated chicken! There's something to look forward to. :roll:

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » November 5th, 2019, 2:44 pm

neversay wrote:Tthe Swine Fever outbreak in China and Asia is massive but hardly making the news here in the UK:

"As many as half of China’s pigs, an estimated 300 million, have died of the virus or been exterminated in the last 13 months. The disease has spread to more than 50 countries, including Vietnam, Laos, South Korea, the Philippines and East Timor."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenroberts ... k-exports/

A quarter of the world's pig population is expected to die. Just imagine if it was a human transmissible virus.

My bold. Like Swine Flu you mean?

It was just something that was on the news to me until the Wife of a guy I was friends with on TMF got it and died. That brought it home a bit.

HYD

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » November 5th, 2019, 3:25 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:My bold. Like Swine Flu you mean?

It was just something that was on the news to me until the Wife of a guy I was friends with on TMF got it and died. That brought it home a bit.

HYD

Quite. Only a matter of time before we get another food-chain related infection that has a slow gestational period like CJD... or is it already underway?

Not a tin-foil hat person but my OP was that 300 million pigs dying, yet hardly causing a stir in the news, is perhaps a 'canary'.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 5th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Snorvey wrote:It's also worth pointing out that 'Global Pandemic. Influenza. Sars. Deadly pox' has a healthy (for want of a better word) lead in my End of the World pole.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=16302

Yes but that was entitled Name your preferred catastrophe.

I didn't understand why so many chose the slow impending death by Global Pandemic. Influenza. Sars. Deadly pox..

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 5th, 2019, 5:35 pm

I wouldn't have thought it's a particularly hard job to replace half the Chinese pig stock, even if it is 300 million. Each of the remaining sows can probably reproduce a couple of dozen piglets in a few weeks or months, so not too difficult to manage.

Scott.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”