Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

What do you think voting turnout will be in today's election?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: What do you think voting turnout will be in today's election?

Postby scotia » December 13th, 2019, 5:13 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Another factor may be that the rational part of a teen’s brain isn’t fully developed and won’t be until age 25 or so.

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclop ... entID=3051

Could I remind you of William Ewart Gladstone, who entered parliament as a High Tory (later called a Conservative) at the age of 23 and served as a minister under Peel, but clearly his brain required considerably more time to become rational - since he finally became a Liberal at 50. His continuing journey leftwards in the Liberals included four spells as Prime Minister - and he introduced many reforms. He eventually (as PM at age 82) persuaded the Commons to pass an Irish Home Rule Bill, but this was blocked by the Lords. I suppose history is littered with "if only".

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » December 13th, 2019, 5:15 pm

dealtn wrote: It is a pub after all.

However, you need to be careful when extrapolating from data about better educated to also adjust for age. It has long been agreed an established link exists between age and voting intention, that in simple terms demonstrates a propensity to move down the spectrum from "red" to "blue" as voters age. This isn't considered controversial.

There is also a well known and accepted fact that opportunities for further education exist much more for the younger generation than they did for the current retirees, and especially so for the "fairer" gender. It can be argued that "student loans" and "austerity" have reversed this trend slightly over say the last decade, or at least since the Blair government's push for further and higher education.

As a result it is not scientifically the case that Labour supporters are "better educated" than those supporting alternative parties. It will be interesting, from a psephology perspective to track the path of todays "better educated" young and middle age voters as they progress through the age spectrum in a "blue" direction.

I think I provided evidence that supported my assertion.

As you say, this is a pub, so I think I should get a round in for going off on one. What's yours?

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » December 13th, 2019, 5:52 pm

We have a chair upon which William Ewart Gladstone parked his btm. He was an acquaintance of my GGGrandfather who was a blacksmith. Apparently he shod WEGs horse many a time. (No that is not a euphamism).

R6

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 13th, 2019, 5:59 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:We have a chair upon which William Ewart Gladstone parked his btm. He was an acquaintance of my GGGrandfather who was a blacksmith. Apparently he shod WEGs horse many a time. (No that is not a euphamism).

R6

Its a small world. My grandfather, as a boy, shook hands with William Ewart Gladstone - and told us the tale many times.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 13th, 2019, 9:53 pm

My father knew Lloyd George (or was it vice versa?)

John

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 13th, 2019, 11:07 pm

redsturgeon wrote:My father knew Lloyd George (or was it vice versa?)

John

Could be vice versa...... I once knew a George Lloyd

--kiloran

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”