Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Resurrection of the KKk?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
RowdyReptile
Lemon Slice

Re: Resurrection of the KKk?

Postby RowdyReptile » November 13th, 2016, 10:02 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
I was only commenting on the " more people in the US ... claim alien abduction" bit, as the figure is surprisingly high from memory (Bill Bryson mentions it in one of his books (1 million ?)

Hey man, I am just trying to help out here. The Klan have about as much influence today as a bag of dirt. I know the statistic I gave you is amazing, but true.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/03/01/far-m ... n-the-kkk/

Here is another statistic from the link, but you will have to help me out to know if it is true....

The number of adherents to the Jedi religion — a faith inspired by Star Wars — is 175,000 in the United Kingdom alone.

The Klan only has 3000.

The Klan? Really? You cannot be serious. You can forgive the Germans for their nazi past, but why do you people dig up these tired old fossils like the Klan to crap on the US?

RR

Grumpi
Lemon Pip

Postby Grumpi » November 16th, 2016, 2:29 pm

The number of adherents to the Jedi religion — a faith inspired by Star Wars — is 175,000 in the United Kingdom alone.

Many People in the UK put down Jedi as their religion on census and other forms either in an attempt at levity or as a mild protest at being asked what they think of as an intrusive question.

Whereas I doubt many people would confess to membership of the KKK if it wasn't true and if they were not proud of it - even jestingly.

RowdyReptile
Lemon Slice

Postby RowdyReptile » November 18th, 2016, 12:06 am

Grumpi wrote:

Many People in the UK put down Jedi as their religion on census and other forms either in an attempt at levity or as a mild protest at being asked what they think of as an intrusive question.

Whereas I doubt many people would confess to membership of the KKK if it wasn't true and if they were not proud of it - even jestingly.

Well obviously it is levity to claim Jedi as a religion. Either that or there are a lot of Star Wars geeks in the UK.

Yes, I imagine it is true that Klan membership is not something people in the US would admit. All I am trying to do is say that the Klan has no real influence in the US anymore, and it won't even with Trump as President. If you want, you should look at the Southern Poverty Law Centers site, as they seem to be active in tracking hate groups. They estimate Klan membership at anywhere between 5 to 8 thousand. That is out of a population of over 300 million. I am not sure of their methodology, but if you are really that concerned, take a look and let us all know.

https://www.splcenter.org/

And specifically...

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate ... -klux-klan

I am not going to defend Trump, but this narrative that links him to the Klan is idiotic imho. In fact, I think that the Democrats have done themselves a disservice by constantly, over the decades, labeling all their political opponents as racists, bigots, misogynists and homophobes. It seems that these are the only arrows they have in their quiver. Very tiring and boring. The Republicans aren 't better, mind you, as they trot out their particular crap again and again against their opponents.

My only purpose in responding here is to allay those in the UK who have fears about a Klan resurgence. It ain't going to happen. But with some of what you see in the news, I can understand why you would think there is a Klansman behind every shrub in the US just waiting to pop out and take over the country. :roll:

I am just trying to calm your fears.

RR

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”