Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Resurrection of the KKk?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Resurrection of the KKk?

Postby WrenChasen » November 8th, 2016, 10:14 am

Last night I heard a seemingly educated and pleasant American (an accountant at a hospital near Detroit) describing the area where he lives. It all sounded quite idyllic until he said, "I'm proud to tell ya that we're 95 percent white and when Trump gets in we're gonna make that 100 percent".

He was serious, totally sickeningly serious.

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Re: Resurrection of the KKk?

Postby wheypat » November 8th, 2016, 11:12 am

It's common attitude. Several years ago I was working there a lot (about 40 weeks a year) and was giving serious consideration to moving there for the duration of the project. I had a look at the housing market and the realtors I spoke with all said, almost as the first thing, "You'll want a nice white neighbourhood" - this was before we'd even discussed budget. Never heard that in the UK.

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Postby WrenChasen » November 8th, 2016, 12:04 pm

I've only taken holidays in the US and I suppose, like most holidaymakers, the political issues surrounding race didn't cross my mind at the time. Last night's conversation was like being hit with a brick. As far as I'm aware I've never met a member of the KKK, but suddenly I recalled those old films where nice, sauve, professional whites put on weird robes and murdered innocent black people.

If this is why people will vote for Trump, I despair of the American nation.

It's bad enough a country that size could only produce the sorry spectacle of Trump and Clinton as serious contenders for the White House.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 8th, 2016, 12:29 pm

A mate of mine lives with his US wife and family in Ohio. They are both fairly liberal , but I've been surprised how 'pro gun' some of their friends are on Facebook. My friends is always trying to argue the gun control case (and failing) - the 'right to bear arms (or arm bears?) seems to be central to an American identity

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Postby wheypat » November 8th, 2016, 1:28 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:A mate of mine lives with his US wife and family in Ohio. They are both fairly liberal , but I've been surprised how 'pro gun' some of their friends are on Facebook. My friends is always trying to argue the gun control case (and failing) - the 'right to bear arms (or arm bears?) seems to be central to an American identity

It can't just be me that sees the irony of guns for all - Trump loves this. But not at his rallies or anywhere near him, of course :lol:

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 8th, 2016, 2:07 pm

wheypat wrote:It's common attitude. I had a look at the housing market and the realtors I spoke with all said, almost as the first thing, "You'll want a nice white neighbourhood" - this was before we'd even discussed budget. Never heard that in the UK.

Neighbourhoods and areas that are mostly white and asian are often considered more desirable not because of racism itself, but rather that there is close correlation between that and things like low crime and good schools. So much so that you can often predict a lot about an area from its ethnic demographics.

For instance, troubled Detroit, MI is about 90% black and hispanic, while nearby Ann Arbor, MI is about 80% white and asian. That single factor drives almost all the quality of life factors. That's why it's common for realtors to give demographic breakdowns to prospective buyers - it's really a shorthand for a variety of issues that go beyond race.

kodokan

Postby kodokan » November 8th, 2016, 4:40 pm

Lootman wrote:That's why it's common for realtors to give demographic breakdowns to prospective buyers - it's really a shorthand for a variety of issues that go beyond race.

Not in my experience it isn't. I've bought houses in Arizona and Ohio, and realtors in both states make it firmly clear that they cannot in any way answer or drop hints about the future neighbors, their race, whether it's a 'nice area for families', or anything else that can be construed as 'are they like us?' They would lose their realtor license for doing so.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 8th, 2016, 4:48 pm

kodokan wrote:
Lootman wrote:That's why it's common for realtors to give demographic breakdowns to prospective buyers - it's really a shorthand for a variety of issues that go beyond race.

Not in my experience it isn't. I've bought houses in Arizona and Ohio, and realtors in both states make it firmly clear that they cannot in any way answer or drop hints about the future neighbors, their race, whether it's a 'nice area for families', or anything else that can be construed as 'are they like us?' They would lose their realtor license for doing so.

I'd guess that's a State-by-State thing, because when I was looking to buy property in Oregon, my realtor had demographic breakdowns by County and City all printed out and ready to go. Maybe AZ and OH banned such practices?

In any event, Wikipedia has demographic percentages from the 2010 ACS, which asked more questions about race and ethnicity than any other topic. The data is there if you want to be influenced by it.

Another factor that correlates to race is the tax base. Heavily black cities like Detroit, Chicago. Memphis. St. Louis and Baltimore have high taxes so, again, those with money and options prefer to live outside them where, as it happens, the people are much whiter.

And so the cycle continues.

kodokan

Postby kodokan » November 8th, 2016, 8:46 pm

Lootman wrote:
I'd guess that's a State-by-State thing, because when I was looking to buy property in Oregon, my realtor had demographic breakdowns by County and City all printed out and ready to go. Maybe AZ and OH banned such practices?

In any event, Wikipedia has demographic percentages from the 2010 ACS, which asked more questions about race and ethnicity than any other topic. The data is there if you want to be influenced by it.

Another factor that correlates to race is the tax base. Heavily black cities like Detroit, Chicago. Memphis. St. Louis and Baltimore have high taxes so, again, those with money and options prefer to live outside them where, as it happens, the people are much whiter.

And so the cycle continues.

Must be state-based, as many things in the US are. The City Data website is another endlessly fascinating repository of all the information about race, income and educational level in your zip code that you could possibly require.

RowdyReptile
Lemon Slice

Postby RowdyReptile » November 9th, 2016, 11:55 pm

I have been lurking here and wondering if I should post or not.

Resurrection of the Klan? Really? I know Trump is an orange faced blowhard, but he isn't a Klansman.

There are more people in the US that claim alien abduction than are members of the Klan. I hope that statistic calms your fears.

Regards,

RR

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 10th, 2016, 12:30 pm

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 10th, 2016, 3:32 pm

RowdyReptile wrote:
There are more people in the US that claim alien abduction than are members of the Klan.

RR

That's not an entirely convincing argument ! ;)

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Postby WrenChasen » November 10th, 2016, 3:41 pm

RowdyReptile wrote:Resurrection of the Klan? Really? I know Trump is an orange faced blowhard, but he isn't a Klansman.

There was an element of tongue-in-cheek in my OP; Trump hadn't been elected and in common with a lot of people I didn't really expect him to succeed. So much for expectation.

There are more people in the US that claim alien abduction than are members of the Klan. I hope that statistic calms your fears.

As I understand it, no member of the Klan would openly admit his (or her?) involvement. Secrecy is its watchword.

God help any American who is currently anything but white, healthy, heterosexual and financially independent.

tonyreptiles
2 Lemon pips

Postby tonyreptiles » November 10th, 2016, 6:31 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:A mate of mine lives with his US wife and family in Ohio. They are both fairly liberal , but I've been surprised how 'pro gun' some of their friends are on Facebook. My friends is always trying to argue the gun control case (and failing) - the 'right to bear arms (or arm bears?) seems to be central to an American identity

I'm quite good friends with a couple in Florida. Quiet, kind, unassuming people without a malicious bone on their body. The kind of squidgy livberal folk who'd vote for Bernie Sanders.

I'd been on a road trip and stopped off with friends in South Carolina, where part of the day's entertainment had been to go out into the swamps and shoot guns. It was entertaining, but a little disconcerting for a mild mannered Brit like me. I was taken aback by the way the folk I was with took gun ownership and the shooting trip to be just a normal way to spend a Saturday. I commented on this when I reached my buddies in Florida. I sat wit them in their home office to explain how weird I found the fact that everyone had a gun, and surely, not everyone in the USA was so trigger-happy.

At which point, both he and his wife reached under their desks to retrieve a pair of the most massive hand-cannons I''d ever seen.

Yup.

Them 'Mericans like their guns alright.

TR

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Postby wheypat » November 10th, 2016, 6:51 pm

tonyreptiles wrote:
Them 'Mericans like their guns alright.

TR

Yep, I was working in Missouri and mentioned that I'd never seen a gun in the flesh as it were. When 2 of my colleagues reached into their suits and extracted handguns. And a lady took one out of her handbag.

They were for protection, of course. And then they offered to take me down the range, to let some off. I declined.

RowdyReptile
Lemon Slice

Postby RowdyReptile » November 11th, 2016, 11:21 pm

WrenChasen wrote:

As I understand it, no member of the Klan would openly admit his (or her?) involvement. Secrecy is its watchword.

Yes, very secret until they dress up in bed sheets and wear those dunce caps.

God help any American who is currently anything but white, healthy, heterosexual and financially independent.

I appreciate the concern.

RR

RowdyReptile
Lemon Slice

Postby RowdyReptile » November 11th, 2016, 11:23 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:

I am just trying to help here. This is 2016, not 1916. We had a real racist in the White House then. Just saying.

RR

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Postby WrenChasen » November 12th, 2016, 11:41 am

RowdyReptile wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:
This is 2016, not 1916. We had a real racist in the White House then.
RR

History has a habit of repeating itself. 8-)

The next four years are going to be interesting - in every sense of the word.

RowdyReptile
Lemon Slice

Postby RowdyReptile » November 13th, 2016, 8:12 pm

History has a habit of repeating itself. 8-)

The next four years are going to be interesting - in every sense of the word.

Interesting is one way of putting it. Another sense of that word of course is down right scary. Freaking Donald Trump! Honestly. The US has gone completely nuts.

RR

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 13th, 2016, 9:45 pm

RowdyReptile wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:

I am just trying to help here. This is 2016, not 1916. We had a real racist in the White House then. Just saying.

RR

I was only commenting on the " more people in the US ... claim alien abduction" bit, as the figure is surprisingly high from memory (Bill Bryson mentions it in one of his books (1 million ?)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”