Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

What are you going to do with all that time you'll soon have?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: What are you going to do with all that time you'll soon have?

Postby bungeejumper » March 25th, 2020, 9:00 am

kempiejon wrote:Willie said "Perfect pitch: When you toss an accordion into the trash can and it hits a banjo."

Which reminds me of a favourite orchestral taunt for viola players, who are the butt of so many cruel jokes:

How do you reduce a viola player to tears? Detune one of her strings, but don't tell her which one. :lol:

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 25th, 2020, 9:43 am

I always associate banjos with the phrase "Squeal like a pig.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsC4kf6x_Q0

In which a group of Americans are heading for Aintree to watch the Grand National and take a wrong turn somewhere, with hilarious consequences

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » March 25th, 2020, 11:34 am

Q. What do you call a banjo player in a suit?

A. The accused

;)

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » March 25th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Well, the quiz was a great success, everyone enjoyed it and we're going to carry on. Thankfully for me OH is able to work magic with computers and everyone received their question and answer sheets in a timely manner. Several people have set up groups to do the quiz together which is always much more fun than trying to figure things out on your own. Hopefully this will keep my brain active and bring some enjoyment to people confined to home.

R6

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 26th, 2020, 12:45 pm

In your free time, you could digitise some old rainfall data

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52040822

--kiloran

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 28th, 2020, 5:11 am

<Chuckle>...

Source - https://twitter.com/marcambinder/status ... 94784?s=20

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 28th, 2020, 9:19 am

About 5 years ago I had a new bathroorm. The chap across the road had just started out on his own and fitted it for me. During the process I used their facilities one afternoon, and spotting a box of tiles in the corner and a part tiled surround commented to his wife "I see he's tiling your bathroom as well".

She muttered they'd been there 6 months as he ran out and had bought them to finish the job.

She's just texted and said he's finally finished it!

Paul

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 28th, 2020, 11:57 am

I'll be watching some cricket (link to Sports Bar):

'At Home with Cricket'
viewtopic.php?p=295076#p295076

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 4th, 2020, 11:40 am

Having strongly protested for years that things never got done at home largely due to the lack of free time that I had available, I can now categorically confirm that the actual reason is that I'm simply a lazy bugger....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 4th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Having strongly protested for years that things never got done at home largely due to the lack of free time that I had available, I can now categorically confirm that the actual reason is that I'm simply a lazy bugger....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I'm finding myself frustrated by unavailability of a lot of the things I want for home improvement. Ranging from Argos (out of stock on what I want) to Screwfix (available but not in my local branch, and both home delivery and "click and collect" whereby they'd ship to my local branch are suspended.

So not laziness at all. But I already knew I'm lazy. You just need more ingenuity in finding excuses. It'll come with practice.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 4th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Having strongly protested for years that things never got done at home largely due to the lack of free time that I had available, I can now categorically confirm that the actual reason is that I'm simply a lazy bugger....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I'm sure it's not laziness. You've probably been badly affected by that virus recently reported on the HYPTUSS: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22659

I've been similarly affected. The only known cure is a long period of rest.

--kiloran

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 4th, 2020, 12:56 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I'm finding myself frustrated by unavailability of a lot of the things I want for home improvement. Ranging from Argos (out of stock on what I want) to Screwfix (available but not in my local branch, and both home delivery and "click and collect" whereby they'd ship to my local branch are suspended.

So not laziness at all. But I already knew I'm lazy. You just need more ingenuity in finding excuses. It'll come with practice.

..... Or just spending too much time on forums?!

I am reigning in (rationing) my time on forums, and spreadsheets.

If you order stuff for home delivery, you then have the dilemma upon delivery of, - do I scrub or wash it down before opening!!

This morning I have been going through the filing cabinet and chucking out old or no longer relevant stuff. The shredder has been on meltdown. After 2 minutes of shredding it has to be left to cool down for 20 minutes. So the shredding is running in arrears. It's kept me warmer than sitting at the computer.

I am striving to be minimalistic, but losing the battle. Struggling to know what to do with too many family photos on every available shelf. Have previously incorporated half a dozen photos into one multi-photo frame on the wall, but don't want the walls inundated either. I keep glowering at all the wife's potted plants around the place. And that's not to mention ornaments..

I think a clear out of clothes cupboards and wardrobes next.

Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Postby Wuffle » April 4th, 2020, 1:06 pm

'This morning I have been going through the filing cabinet and chucking out old or no longer relevant stuff. The shredder has been on meltdown. After 2 minutes of shredding it has to be left to cool down for 20 minutes. So the shredding is running in arrears. It's kept me warmer than sitting at the computer.'

If you haven't driven anywhere for a fortnight then you probably have some CO2 credits in the bag. How about a small fire?
Loads of fun and warm.

W.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » April 4th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

As I said to Mrs Watis, if I've said I'll do something, then I'll do it - you don't have to remind me every six months.

Watis

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » April 4th, 2020, 8:10 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Locked down at home, or just deprived of that precious commute that used to swallow up four hours of your working day? How are you planning to spend the time for the next month or three?

Apart, of course, from trying to get a delivery slot from Ocado? Or a Skype appointment with your doctor?

Exercise has been mentioned by some posters. I've got gardening in mind, as long as my wife gives me permission to move the weeds around a bit. And a brand new box of art materials that are just waiting for a few weeks without time commitments. Who knows, I might even open that Yamaha keyboard tuition book I bought years ago, and fire up the mighty Wurlitzer in the grand-daughter's playroom.

Then again, I might just sit on the sofa and try my unpractised hand at box-set surfing. Whatever that is?

What's your poison likely to be?

BJ

I shall be playing even more bridge (online) as well as making use of my well stocked shelves of music and books. Might even get the garden straight!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: What are you going to do with all that time you've got now?

Postby bungeejumper » April 8th, 2020, 12:28 pm

As csearle asked on another thread:
Have I stumbled in on an edition of GQT?

Could be, could be. My whole life is turning into Gardeners' Question Time, with a goodly shot of Tommy Walsh just to make it more interesting. Patios have been repaired, paths and pavements jetwashed, forgotten cold frames nursed back to life, and all those jobs I've been meaning to do for years are queuing up to be done. Slowly..........

I can't decide whether I like that, or not. Although I'm just a little bit short of my threescore and ten, but still working a couple of days a month, I've stoutly refused to give in to the traditional old-codger daily discipline. (Get up, have breakfast, read paper, feed the birds, listen to the radio, have lunch, read the paper again, think about going to the garden centre, but go supermarket shopping instead because I can annoy more people that way.)

But this time is different. I'm finding I rather like not having to hurry about anything, not having any deadlines, not having to leave jobs half-done because I had other things I needed to do more urgently. I don't think I'd like to slip into this pattern permanently - because some people I know freely admit that they no longer know what day of the week it is (and some of them are in their thirties!) - but hey, as a holiday from the daily stresses it ain't so bad. ;)

Saw the first swallows on Monday - and that's about a month earlier than last year. I wouldn't have even noticed them if I hadn't been idly leaning on my spade at the time. So there you go, then, csearle, I'm turning into Springwatch as well. And then I'll hit my cello practice, and the neighbours will report me to the RSPCA for torturing the cat. It all helps to pass the time.

BJ

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » April 8th, 2020, 12:44 pm

I'm using up all the garden fertilizer I inherited from my dad. One packet of iron supplement was dated 1986, oh well iron doesn't go off

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 8th, 2020, 1:23 pm

A friend posted this on f/book;

"After years of wanting to clean the house but lacking the time, this week I discovered that wasn't the reason.."

I'm still staring at the piles of 'to be sorted' books and papers, and that IKEA bookcase ain't gonna build itself...

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 8th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Not the most cheerful of things to do perhaps, but I've been 'putting my affairs in order' for the benefit of my OH. I suddenly realised that should I get carted away to hospital my only real concern would be to minimise the difficulties that my demise would have on her. I will rest more easily when that is done.

RC

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 8th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Ah good point actually... I want to leave a fixed amount to my mum, and the balance to my sister - suspect if I pop me clogs 'intestate' it would automatically go to my mum (who would probably pass on a lot to sister anyway)

EDIT: just found this! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52215141
Last edited by AleisterCrowley on April 8th, 2020, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”