Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Advice for ASDA online shopping

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Advice for ASDA online shopping

Postby Clariman » April 1st, 2020, 3:17 pm

When my late mother was unable to shop about 5 or 6 years ago, I used ASDA online shopping for her, which worked well. With the advent of Covid-19, a 90+ year old who we shop for, and my mild asthma, we decided to minimise supermarket shopping visits. The ASDA website has struggled in recent weeks but now seems much more stable, with a log-in queuing system in operation from time to time. I set up weekly delivery slots from today to 15th April, which I was very fortunate to get. Now they are only taking bookings for a period of 14 days and they are booked up for our local store.

A couple of important bits of info on the way their website works.

As with most online supermarkets, online shopping comes from staff picking your order in your local store, rather than from a central warehouse. Therefore, you are dependent on what is on the shelves when you order gets picked. Remember that fact, but it is not as simple as that. Their online shopping website does a stock-check when you place your order. This makes sense if you were shopping for same delivery but is daft when you are placing an order for a few days out. So unless it is available when you place your order AND available when they come to pick it, then you won't get it. That's OK because you can choose alternatives at the time of order which, fingers crossed, will be available when its picked. If something is not available at the time of picking then the ASDA employee will try to find a suitable substitution, so they at least know what you want when the pick it.

Now here is the really tricky bit you need to watch out for. If ordering a week in advance then there is a fair chance that you will want to tweak your order, to add in a few things you have run out of or remove things that you've got plenty of. BE VERY CAREFUL!. If you amend your ASDA order, it will do a stock check again - and all those carefully chosen items in your basket may now be out of stock. If they are out of stock and you confirm your amended order, the out of stock items will be removed from your shopping, so when your order comes to get picked they won't even know that you even wanted them in the first place and you most certainly won't get them.

The moral of this story:
  • Do your utmost to select the right items when you make your original order and choose your own suitable replacements for items that are not available - then and there.
  • If you want to amend or add to your order then weigh up whether you are better to go with what you already have or risk losing items already selected. You can do a what-if by clicking on Amend order and seeing what items are now out of stock. If those losses outweigh what you are planning to add in, then leave it and cancel out of the Amend process. There is a fair chance they will be in stock again when your order is picked.
  • If you really need to amend your order, then take a note of what you are about to lose and then add in suitable alternatives before completing your order. This is VERY laborious so only if you have to.

Our first order arrived today. Here is the outcome:
  • Arrived within the 1 hour delivery window specified. Excellent
  • Items were brought to our door but were not bagged up. We had to remove them from the large trays they were packed in and bag them up to take into the kitchen. The ASDA website said they would be delivered in plastic bags. Also the delivery driver helped us to pack them into our bags so we were not necessarily 2 meters apart. However, it only took a few minutes and that was way less close contact than being in a supermarket
  • Of 62 items ordered, 44 were exactly as ordered, 12 were substitutes and 6 unavailable
  • Of the 12 substitutes, 10 were fine, 1 we can use but not great, 1 of no use so will give to a food bank.
  • Of the 6 unavailable items, my wife deemed flour a necessity so made a quick trip the village shop and got some :) .
  • Of the 6 unavailable items, I deemed the 12 pack of Cadbury Cream Eggs a necessity but Mrs C did not return from the village shop with any :x
  • The milk had use-by dates of more than a week so pleased about that
  • The fresh fruit was not that great. One of the pack of 4 lemons was mouldy, bananas a bit too ripe and bruised but OK.
  • Online supermarket shopping has caused more arguments in our house than anything else for years. See below.
Arguments
Mrs C likes to see what she is buying and to pick up what looks good at the time. She found it difficult to handle online food shopping and was very dubious about it. So when we started losing items that we had previously put in, you can imagine how that went down. And the process was laborious doing it together. I like to shop with a list, so that makes online quite easy. She prefers to wander round. Without a list, I was trying to go through the different categories methodically, whereas she would say "oh do they have [insert random item from another category]?" There must have been at least 6 occasions where she said that she'd just go out to the supermarket right now rather than stick with the online shopping.

Have we done the right thing? I hope so. It significantly cut down on contact with other people .... and was pretty close to cutting down on contact between us! :lol:

Clariman

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Advice for ASDA online shopping

Postby XFool » April 1st, 2020, 3:28 pm

Hmm...

What a palaver! I think I'll stick with Sainsbury's 'Pensioner's Happy Hour'. ;)

I now have THREE (effectively useless) online supermarket shopping accounts. When this is all over they'll be the first thing for the chop!

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » April 1st, 2020, 3:45 pm

FWIW Tesco works the same way, and currently unavailable items get removed from your basket every time you amend it, which I agree seems daft.

I mentioned it on another thread, but note that Asda recurring delivery slots are not valid on bank holidays. So, since I foolishly chose Mondays, I'll get no delivery on Easter Monday, and will have to wait two weeks between deliveries.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » April 1st, 2020, 3:47 pm

XFool wrote:I now have THREE (effectively useless) online supermarket shopping accounts.

Only three? I have seven!

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 1st, 2020, 3:53 pm

XFool wrote:Hmm...

What a palaver! I think I'll stick with Sainsbury's 'Pensioner's Happy Hour'. ;)

It is a palaver. However, we're not old enough for Pensioner's slot :cry:

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 1st, 2020, 4:02 pm

Stompa wrote:
XFool wrote:I now have THREE (effectively useless) online supermarket shopping accounts.

Any use? 8-)

This morning, in 'Pensioner's Happy Hour' I actually scored loo paper. The full nine rolls!

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 1st, 2020, 4:22 pm

i was very fortunate to get a recurring slot with asda about a month ago.

so far the service has been good.

so we havnt needed to go to any shops , which at our age is very beneficial .

:)

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » April 1st, 2020, 4:39 pm

XFool wrote:
Stompa wrote:

Any use? 8-)

Two of them have been.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » April 1st, 2020, 5:26 pm

It is very apparent that unless your surgery has identified you as a 'clinically extremely vulnerable person' you will be unable to get a preference for a slot from anyone despite age. We have online accounts with two supermarkets but because they have not been used for 2 years you have to re-register. The re-registration process takes you initially via the govt website - and hence if the govt has not classified you a 'clinically extremely vulnerable person' the process comes to a halt. I am 74 and my wife 70 - this in itself does not qualify you though some websites give the impression that you are second tier after the truly vulnerable - though in effect this does not appear to work because their registration lines inform you 'too busy . . .' or basically close down your application as not eligible.

Hence, we would have to queue at oldies hour at the nearest supermarket if we need a weekly shop. Frankly I do not want to expose myself (sorry if this sounds a bit off) to anyone outside my household (stop the sniggering). It seems the likelihood of getting a delivery from any supermarket has passed us by. Fortunately my son undertakes a 7/10 day mercy mission with the staples - left on the doorstep. We augment from niche local suppliers who all appear to be setting up home deliveries. We had a delivery in 30 mins yesterday from a local fishmonger. We could see from our window a young man on a bicycle making the delivery. In fact he did actually remind me of Oliver Twist.

T7

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » April 1st, 2020, 6:20 pm

terminal7 wrote:Hence, we would have to queue at oldies hour at the nearest supermarket if we need a weekly shop.

We are both mid-seventies, but healthy, so we don't qualify as high risk. We used to (before the coronavirus scare) use online ordering from Sainsburys - but that has become impossible. It looks like the ASDA online system is performing better than other retailers - my wife has managed to set up click and collect orders by logging in after midnight. - and I think others have had that experience.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » April 1st, 2020, 7:24 pm

scotia wrote:
terminal7 wrote:Hence, we would have to queue at oldies hour at the nearest supermarket if we need a weekly shop.

We are both mid-seventies, but healthy, so we don't qualify as high risk. We used to (before the coronavirus scare) use online ordering from Sainsburys - but that has become impossible. It looks like the ASDA online system is performing better than other retailers - my wife has managed to set up click and collect orders by logging in after midnight. - and I think others have had that experience.

I have bagged two Asda slots so far, one a click and collect I got by logging in at 2.30am, and the second a delivery slot by logging in a week later, at 1.30am. :roll:

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » April 2nd, 2020, 12:10 pm

Hmmm, I've just found myself unable to amend an Asda order. It looks like they've changed the way it works, there's a notice saying:

Coronavirus update
You can amend your order in the 2 days before it’s due. The cut off time is 10pm.
This helps us manage demand so we can serve everyone. You can help by only amending your order once and only if urgent

which, since my delivery is due on Monday, presumably means I can only amend it on Saturday & Sunday.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » April 2nd, 2020, 5:51 pm

Stompa wrote:Hmmm, I've just found myself unable to amend an Asda order. It looks like they've changed the way it works, there's a notice saying:

Coronavirus update
You can amend your order in the 2 days before it’s due. The cut off time is 10pm.
This helps us manage demand so we can serve everyone. You can help by only amending your order once and only if urgent

which, since my delivery is due on Monday, presumably means I can only amend it on Saturday & Sunday.

Strangely I find that, despite that notice being displayed in the app, amending prior to the 2 days does still seem to be possible. Though not in a browser as there is no 'Amend' button.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » April 3rd, 2020, 12:23 pm

Carried out our first click and collect at Asda today. We received a message on our phone which allowed us to respond - saying that we were on the way (we live a few miles away). A google map application showed us the way, and provided an estimate of the arrival time. On arrival, we found the click and collect bays empty, and as soon as we stopped, we saw an ASDA employee wheeling out our order - all already packed in bags, which we lifted into the boot of our car, and returned home.
An excellent service, and a most impressive piece of IT.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » April 4th, 2020, 2:20 pm

I was completing an order on the Asda website today when I noticed a message at the top of the screen saying:

"You have a Recurring Slot reserved by today. Place a shop or skip this slot" (where 'skip this slot' was a link)

Does anybody know what 'by today' is supposed to mean in this context?

Thanks

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”