Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

The People versus The People

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

The People versus The People

Postby Clitheroekid » April 3rd, 2020, 4:49 pm

I was amused to see that a firm of Florida lawyers have taken it upon themselves to represent the people of the USA in a class action against the people of China for allowing the `Chinese Virus' to pollute America's golden shores - https://www.scribd.com/document/4515945 ... inst-China

Assuming an average damages award of, say, $50k for each US citizen that would bring in around $1.7bn. At a typical contingency fee of 40% that's going to be one very profitable law firm! ;)

But you'd think in a multi billion dollar lawsuit they'd at least get their figures right - para 43 says that "the population of Florida is over 21,000" - I think they've missed 3 0's off the end.

And I'm amazed at how casual the allegations are compared to the requirements in English law for a formal statement of claim - "it has been reported in the media [Fakebook?] that some Chinese researchers are in the habit of selling their laboratory animals to street vendors after they have finished experimenting on them, instead of properly disposing of infected animals by cremation, as the law requires." I can just imagine the reaction of an average Queens Bench judge if he saw something like that in a court document.

It'll be interesting to see whether PRC come up with a settlement offer!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: The People versus The People

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 3rd, 2020, 4:56 pm

"the population of Florida is over 21,000" - I think they've missed 3 0's off the end.

-perhaps they meant the population of Florida under 65 ?

vandefrosty
Lemon Pip

Postby vandefrosty » April 4th, 2020, 12:56 am

Clitheroekid wrote:

Does anyone know the Mandarin translation of "Arkell v Pressdram"?

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 5th, 2020, 9:48 am

How does this work then?

I'm assuming there is no chance of this ever coming to fruition, but do the people who join up to be represented have to pay a retainer fee to be included?

Paul

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 5th, 2020, 9:57 am

Could be a fine precedent for all kinds of victims of US actions, negligence, or general arrogance. Maybe even starting at home with "native" americans (oh, and didn't the common cold, imported from Europe, devastate them when it was - for them - a novel coronavirus)?

People and places they've bombed. People and places their agents provocateurs have successfully plunged into civil war. Bhopal, and lesser disasters. Pacific islands disappearing under the waves ....

Of course these lawyers are in the business of stirring it. Bit like our own prime minister's turbulent priest speeches and language directed at his political opponents.

Now on the other hand, how about a class action against airlines for spreading this plague around the world?

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 5th, 2020, 10:48 am

On the other hand - and better documented - there is the little matter of 342 chests of tea still illegally detained in Boston Harbour...

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 5th, 2020, 10:54 am

Clitheroekid wrote:Assuming an average damages award of, say, $50k for each US citizen that would bring in around $1.7bn. At a typical contingency fee of 40% that's going to be one very profitable law firm! ;)

But you'd think in a multi billion dollar lawsuit they'd at least get their figures right - para 43 says that "the population of Florida is over 21,000" - I think they've missed 3 0's off the end.

Dropping three zeroes seems to be a common affliction amongst lawyers ... unless you're using the antiquated definition of billion where everyone else would say trillion nowadays. :D

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 5th, 2020, 10:55 am

Clitheroekid wrote:I was amused to see that a firm of Florida lawyers have taken it upon themselves to represent the people of the USA in a class action against the people of China for allowing the `Chinese Virus' to pollute America's golden shores - https://www.scribd.com/document/4515945 ... inst-China

Assuming an average damages award of, say, $50k for each US citizen that would bring in around $1.7bn. At a typical contingency fee of 40% that's going to be one very profitable law firm! ;)

And I'm amazed at how casual the allegations are compared to the requirements in English law for a formal statement of claim - "it has been reported in the media [Fakebook?] that some Chinese researchers are in the habit of selling their laboratory animals to street vendors after they have finished experimenting on them, instead of properly disposing of infected animals by cremation, as the law requires." I can just imagine the reaction of an average Queens Bench judge if he saw something like that in a court document.

I'm lead to believe that Hollywood has already approved a script for the film in which they show how the Chinese manufactured the virus in an effort to sabotage the USA's economy.

It's to be called

"How China Trumped the US"

Should make a few more bob than a class action lawsuit

AiYn'U

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » April 5th, 2020, 11:36 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Could be a fine precedent for all kinds of victims of US actions, negligence, or general arrogance. Maybe even starting at home with "native" americans (oh, and didn't the common cold, imported from Europe, devastate them when it was - for them - a novel coronavirus)?

Even worse than negligence in spreading novel diseases is the deliberate attempt to spread smallpox by giving blankets to Indians - at least one of which attempts is well documented.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”