Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Can you solve this mystery?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Can you solve this mystery?

Postby redsturgeon » June 10th, 2020, 9:20 am

sunnyjoe wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
Clitheroekid wrote:Was it one of your children, or perhaps a friend, who had a key to the house and was trying to teach you a lesson about your casual approach to security? The equivalent of leaving a note saying, "If I could do this so could a burglar".

Chap I knew as a student was very good at picking locks. He could do most of the locks students used for our trunks or our bikes in about 20 seconds.

Party trick: he would write "Get a better lock" on a piece of paper, put the lock through it (proving the lock had been opened), then re-attach the lock.

The Lock Picking Lawyer channel makes it seem easy (I'm sure it normally isn't)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6r ... igLoZOh6FQ

It is relatively easy to pick locks when you know how and have the right tools.

I bought myself a kit and was surprised how simple most locks are to pick

John

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 10th, 2020, 9:54 am

redsturgeon wrote:I bought myself a kit and was surprised how simple most locks are to pick

John

Should this post perhaps be moved to Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)/ Side hustle ideas?

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » June 10th, 2020, 10:04 am

OK - thanks for all who joined in.

The police stated that this was a very professional 'criminal' warning. Whilst there was no evidence of a break-in (finger prints were taken) and despite mortise and yale locks someone was sending us a message that we were totally unprotected. Apart from some very ordinary friction in our work at senior levels there was nothing else my wife and I could identify as a possible causation apart from a local dispute over a parking accident (very minor). There was a possibility that the miscreants had targeted the wrong home. Indeed, there were a couple of unsavoury characters living close bye - however unless the 'enforcers' were only given an address they surely would have seen the names on the passports etc and concluded that they were in the wrong apartment.

Anyway - there was no follow-up.

T7

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 10th, 2020, 11:27 am

terminal7 wrote:The police stated that this was a very professional 'criminal' warning. Whilst there was no evidence of a break-in (finger prints were taken) and despite mortise and yale locks someone was sending us a message that we were totally unprotected. Apart from some very ordinary friction in our work at senior levels there was nothing else my wife and I could identify as a possible causation apart from a local dispute over a parking accident (very minor). There was a possibility that the miscreants had targeted the wrong home.

Not nice at all. I think you've been remarkably relaxed about this - it would have driven many people to complete paranoia. And the knowledge that, if they'd done it once they could do it again, would be pretty scary. Any parent with kids would have been climbing the walls with worry.
Indeed, there were a couple of unsavoury characters living close bye - however unless the 'enforcers' were only given an address they surely would have seen the names on the passports etc and concluded that they were in the wrong apartment.

Unsavoury characters would have grabbed the cash, at the very least. After all, it wasn't as though you'd left it out as "painted bait", it was in the drawer.

We installed a simple CCTV system about seven years ago, on the advice of the police, after I got some pretty horrible threats from somebody who had already done time for an assault with a baseball bat. :| He never came back, but we've felt safer ever since. We also helped to jail a couple of jewel thieves, after our cameras picked them up on their motorbike as they drove past the house. The police were ever so grateful.

BJ

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 10th, 2020, 11:45 am

terminal7 wrote:
The police stated that this was a very professional 'criminal' warning. Whilst there was no evidence of a break-in (finger prints were taken) and despite mortise and yale locks someone was sending us a message that we were totally unprotected.

I think it was a prank from someone you know, who's never admitted it and who now probably never will..

One of you left your keys somewhere accessible for a period of time, and someone decided to pinch them and perform a prank, and then when you got the police involved they bottled it and have never mentioned it again. Alcohol may have been involved..

More likely than criminal activity given the specific circumstances of the items on your bed, in my opinion..

It must be quite something to have to go through though..

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 10th, 2020, 4:00 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:More likely than criminal activity given the specific circumstances of the items on your bed, in my opinion..

I think there may be something you are not telling us. How do you know what was on the bed? :-)

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » June 10th, 2020, 9:51 pm

More likely than criminal activity given the specific circumstances of the items on your bed, in my opinion

Ah ha - I never mentioned the BED! How did you know the items were actually on the bed?

Itsallaguess did it!!!

Call the fuzz - you're going down.

T7

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » June 10th, 2020, 11:02 pm

redsturgeon wrote:It is relatively easy to pick locks when you know how and have the right tools.

One of my friends is a locksmith by profession. Frequently attends lockouts. He tells me the hardest part about opening Yale locks is distracting the customer so they don't see how easy it is.

Gryff

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 11th, 2020, 11:38 am

gryffron wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:It is relatively easy to pick locks when you know how and have the right tools.

One of my friends is a locksmith by profession. Frequently attends lockouts. He tells me the hardest part about opening Yale locks is distracting the customer so they don't see how easy it is.

Gryff

Yes. I've seen a locksmith open somebody's front door Yale (to the surprise of their son - and the locksmith - who was already inside!). They definitely don't like you seeing what they are doing and it is very quick.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 11th, 2020, 11:56 am

terminal7 wrote:

Well if you really want the contents of your sock-drawer to come out in court, then who am I to deny you that...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 11th, 2020, 11:59 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
terminal7 wrote:

Well if you really want the contents of your sock-drawer to come out in court, then who am I to deny you that...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Justice Cocklecarrot has seen it all before.

Noone else is watching.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”