Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Support Bubbles

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Support Bubbles

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 10th, 2020, 5:19 pm

What a brilliantly confusing message.

Should I bubble with cummings or gowings? Hmmm ...

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Support Bubbles

Postby didds » June 10th, 2020, 5:31 pm

Im sure the eventual paper etc from the vabinet office will explain better - but yet again we get this scenario whereby Bojo burbles something incomprehensible that could mean several thiongs or nothing and then we all wait two rio three days to find out what it actually meant. or not meant,.

So I'd hope that it not only includes single occupancy househoplds needing some respite form the long term loneliness, but also multi occupancy households that have similar needs - a single oparent with a young child aside form having each other isnt getting the stimulation of a shared household etc either. For example.

Roll on Friday maybe.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 10th, 2020, 5:51 pm

A fine setting for the old story of a philanderer, clandestinely forming support bubbles with a mistress for each night of the week.

Or perhaps bring it up to date, and give it a female protagonist. Or a random mix of sexes. Or species. Whoops, OK, maybe not that one. :o

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 10th, 2020, 8:52 pm

BBC : People living alone can stay at one other household from Saturday by forming a "bubble"

that sounds like the single person can stay over at a family house, but a family cannot stay over at the single persopn's house.

Am I beign too literal? is this just [expletive deleted] reporting by the BBC? Or is this verbatim from what johnson burbled?

didds

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 11th, 2020, 1:22 am

didds wrote:Or is this verbatim from what johnson burbled?

Here's what the man burbled:
TheGreatHandshakerGeneral wrote:We will allow single adult households, adults living alone, or single parents with children under 18 to form a support bubble; a support bubble with one other household.
All those in a support bubble will be able to act as if they live in the same household; meaning they can spend time together inside each other's homes and do not need to stay two metres apart.
I want to stress that support bubbles must be exclusive; meaning that you can't switch the household you are in a support bubble with or connect with multiple households... and if any member of the support bubble develops symptoms all members of the bubble will need to follow the normal advice on household isolation.

so yes it appears that the plan is if you are on your own and lonely you can choose a household to grace with your presence
- but not the other way around

- sd

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 11th, 2020, 3:06 am

servodude wrote:so yes it appears that the plan is if you are on your own and lonely you can choose a household to grace with your presence

- sd

Lots of single people around.

Alice goes to stay with Bob.
Bob goes to stay with Charlie.
Charlie goes to stay with Di.
[...]
Zac goes to stay with Alice.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 11th, 2020, 3:14 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:so yes it appears that the plan is if you are on your own and lonely you can choose a household to grace with your presence

- sd

Lots of single people around.

Alice goes to stay with Bob.
Bob goes to stay with Charlie.
Charlie goes to stay with Di.
[...]
Zac goes to stay with Alice.

he did say "support bubbles must be exclusive"
- but i suppose he didn't say for how long

- sd

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » June 11th, 2020, 7:47 am

didds wrote:BBC : People living alone can stay at one other household from Saturday by forming a "bubble"

that sounds like the single person can stay over at a family house, but a family cannot stay over at the single persopn's house.

Am I beign too literal? is this just Manure reporting by the BBC? Or is this verbatim from what johnson burbled?

didds

Further from the BBC, time can be spent at either house...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51506729

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 11th, 2020, 8:17 am

servodude wrote:
he did say "support bubbles must be exclusive"
- but i suppose he didn't say for how long

- sd

and presumably on a total trust basis. No doubt where everybody uses their common sense. Which clearly doesnt exist for some.

didds

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » June 11th, 2020, 8:22 am

The rules are getting too numerous and are badly explained. People will ignore them and make their own up to suit themselves.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 11th, 2020, 8:22 am

didds wrote:and presumably on a total trust basis. No doubt where everybody uses their common sense. Which clearly doesnt exist for some.

We need to wait until a member of the government pushes the boundaries of the rules, before we're told what we could have done if we used "common sense".

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 11th, 2020, 8:25 am

swill453 wrote:
didds wrote:and presumably on a total trust basis. No doubt where everybody uses their common sense. Which clearly doesnt exist for some.

We need to wait until a member of the government pushes the boundaries of the rules, before we're told what we could have done if we used "common sense"

Indeed. So if Dominic Cummings had been driving a bubble car, his family could have gone anywhere they wanted? ;)

BJ

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 11th, 2020, 8:59 am

bungeejumper wrote:Indeed. So if Dominic Cummings had been driving a bubble car, his family could have gone anywhere they wanted? ;)

BJ

especially if it was with Michael Buble.

didds

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 11th, 2020, 9:17 am

didds wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Indeed. So if Dominic Cummings had been driving a bubble car, his family could have gone anywhere they wanted? ;)

BJ

especially if it was with Michael Buble.

didds

If we've reached that level; when I first saw the post title I thought it was going to be about a destitute chimp

-sd

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 11th, 2020, 9:21 am

didds wrote:especially if it was with Michael Buble.

Boob-Lay, as I believe it's pronounced? Not a name I'd have wanted to struggle through school with. Although still easier to bear than Ed Balls's poor sister Ophelia. :?

BJ

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » June 11th, 2020, 10:50 am

servodude wrote:

TheGreatHandshakerGeneral wrote:We will allow single adult households, adults living alone, or single parents with children under 18 to form a support bubble; a support bubble with one other household.
All those in a support bubble will be able to act as if they live in the same household; meaning they can spend time together inside each other's homes and do not need to stay two metres apart.
I want to stress that support bubbles must be exclusive; meaning that you can't switch the household you are in a support bubble with or connect with multiple households... and if any member of the support bubble develops symptoms all members of the bubble will need to follow the normal advice on household isolation.

so yes it appears that the plan is if you are on your own and lonely you can choose a household to grace with your presence

- sd

That's not how I read it. It says you can spend time together inside each other's homes, so one of my children and their spouse and teenage family could visit me and we could get as close as we wish and I could visit them and do the same. Trouble is I have 2 children, both with families, so which would I pick? And since I don't know who they would have been spending time with or what activities they would have engaged in prior to visiting me and I am supposed to be self-shielding being in the highly vulnerable group and am only allowed out to go for a walk with one person (same one every time), keeping a distance of 2m apart, I'm not inclined to let either family into my house, especially as they may now be going shopping etc., though I am quite happy for them to visit me and keep to my large garden, especially if they do a bit of work in it. Who makes up these idiotic rules? I shall continue to follow my own, using basic common sense, and won't be going anywhere.

It doesn't say those in the bubble must be and stay in the same area so surely there must be a risk of reigniting infection in areas where the infection rate has considerably reduced if people can come from an area where it is still rife and mingle without restraint and vice versa. What may be reasonably safe in one area would not be in another and unless the population has more sense than the policymakers, there is a risk of a second wave which would make all the previous sacrifices pointless.

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » June 11th, 2020, 11:09 am

The bubble is not an option for those self-shielding

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 11th, 2020, 11:16 am

Bouleversee wrote:
servodude wrote:

- sd

That's not how I read it. It says you can spend time together inside each other's homes, so one of my children and their spouse and teenage family could visit me and we could get as close as we wish and I could visit them and do the same. Trouble is I have 2 children, both with families, so which would I pick? And since I don't know who they would have been spending time with or what activities they would have engaged in prior to visiting me and I am supposed to be self-shielding being in the highly vulnerable group and am only allowed out to go for a walk with one person (same one every time), keeping a distance of 2m apart, I'm not inclined to let either family into my house, especially as they may now be going shopping etc., though I am quite happy for them to visit me and keep to my large garden, especially if they do a bit of work in it. Who makes up these idiotic rules? I shall continue to follow my own, using basic common sense, and won't be going anywhere.

It doesn't say those in the bubble must be and stay in the same area so surely there must be a risk of reigniting infection in areas where the infection rate has considerably reduced if people can come from an area where it is still rife and mingle without restraint and vice versa. What may be reasonably safe in one area would not be in another and unless the population has more sense than the policymakers, there is a risk of a second wave which would make all the previous sacrifices pointless.

To my reading the pre-requiste for a bubble is a group with a single adult (kids under 18 of any number) (that might be you?!) It can form a larger group (said bubble) with one other household (no constraints on that household) to the exclusion of all other groups.
Any other co-kid management policies are probably handled independently
- special circumstances, or membership of the Bullingdon Club notwithstanding
- this does not affect your statutory rights
- widdle
- look something needs done and this is jolly well something

;)
-sd

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 11th, 2020, 11:18 am

robbelg wrote:The bubble is not an option for those self-shielding

If it's a big thick bubble it might be?
- damn that's us back to Michael Jackson

-sd

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 11th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Bouleversee wrote: Who makes up these idiotic rules?

What's so idiotic?

Do we want to be gradually relaxing, or not? And if so, do we want rules, or do we want no rules?

There is no compulsion for anyone to "relax" further than they want to.

At some point, hopefully soon, we need to get to a place where individuals can choose for themselves the full extent of how much of their normal civil liberties they previously took for granted they wish to take part in. Those that wish to remain either fully, or partially, locked down can continue to do so. That is their choice to make based on their requirements and their assessment of how they see the risks to themselves, incorporating the likely behaviours of others.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”