Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Support Bubbles

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Support Bubbles

Postby Arborbridge » June 11th, 2020, 1:29 pm

didds wrote:BBC : People living alone can stay at one other household from Saturday by forming a "bubble"

that sounds like the single person can stay over at a family house, but a family cannot stay over at the single persopn's house.

Am I beign too literal? is this just Manure reporting by the BBC? Or is this verbatim from what johnson burbled?

didds

Why use the word "manure" about the BBC? - why the need to knock one of our best news organisations? - actually, in my view, one of our best organisations. I can only explain this if it is the usual British thing that we hate success so we have to knock it.

From what I read here, this "support burble" from Johnson wasn't miss reported by the BBC, so your unvoiced apology will be accepted.

Arb.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 11th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Seems like a sensible rule change to me.

It is unfortunate for those who have to choose between two equally close relatives or friends though.

As has been said many times, it is easier to lock down than to release the lock down in a sensible and progressive way.

John

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 11th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
didds wrote:BBC : People living alone can stay at one other household from Saturday by forming a "bubble"

that sounds like the single person can stay over at a family house, but a family cannot stay over at the single persopn's house.

Am I beign too literal? is this just Manure reporting by the BBC? Or is this verbatim from what johnson burbled?

didds

Why use the word "manure" about the BBC? - why the need to knock one of our best news organisations? - actually, in my view, one of our best organisations. I can only explain this if it is the usual British thing that we hate success so we have to knock it.

From what I read here, this "support burble" from Johnson wasn't miss reported by the BBC, so your unvoiced apology will be accepted.

Arb.

I think "manure" is an autocorrect by the site for "a common but impolite word"
I don't think the use of "5h17e reporting" would necessarily be an indictment of the BBC in this case
- more that the utterance sounded sufficiently inane as to have been misreported i.e garbled in the process rather than at the source

but then again perhaps the Fokkers are flying Messerschmitts and it was a dig at the BBC
- which would be a shame; as it's a jolly good thing in my book

-sd

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 11th, 2020, 1:51 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Seems like a sensible rule change to me.

It is unfortunate for those who have to choose between two equally close relatives or friends though.

As has been said many times, it is easier to lock down than to release the lock down in a sensible and progressive way.

John

It does seem like a step towards the right approach
- i do think it was explained very badly thought (is this thread evidence of that?)

I don't want to use that horrid phrase "common sense" in an un-ironic way, but there's a lot to be said for an approach that "minimises the surface area" of group's exposure while allowing interaction beyond a household; a sort of "ad-hoc extended family/household"
- i think this comes under that in my mind
- we had to do this when my parents were stuck with us in Australia; it was that or abandon them (or they could have moved in with us! but that would have been more fatal)

- sd

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 11th, 2020, 1:59 pm

servodude wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Seems like a sensible rule change to me.

John

It does seem like a step towards the right approach
- i do think it was explained very badly thought (is this thread evidence of that?)

I don't want to use that horrid phrase "common sense" in an un-ironic way, but there's a lot to be said for an approach that "minimises the surface area" of group's exposure while allowing interaction beyond a household; a sort of "ad-hoc extended family/household"
- i think this comes under that in my mind
- we had to do this when my parents were stuck with us in Australia; it was that or abandon them (or they could have moved in with us! but that would have been more fatal)

- sd

We actually did this just before lockdown with both a son and his girlfriend and a daughter coming back to our home to isolate with us. So instead of three households of 3, 2 and 1, we became one household of six and that has how it has stayed.

John

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 11th, 2020, 2:27 pm

redsturgeon wrote: instead of three households of 3, 2 and 1, we became one household of six and that has how it has stayed.

Isn't that the plot of about half a dozen 80's sitcoms? ;)
- that quote could be the opening voice over

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 11th, 2020, 2:30 pm

servodude wrote:
redsturgeon wrote: instead of three households of 3, 2 and 1, we became one household of six and that has how it has stayed.

Isn't that the plot of about half a dozen 80's sitcoms? ;)
- that quote could be the opening voice over

Not forgetting the dog.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » June 11th, 2020, 2:53 pm

So will it be ok to attend a pool party? I can make lots of bubbles :D

Julian F. G. W.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 11th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Why use the word "manure" about the BBC? .

I didn't.

TLF did.

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 11th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Arborbridge wrote:

didds

The point being either

1) Johnson did come out with the line that gave the incredibly strong impression that only the single peron can stay at the multiple persons house
ie he said "People living alone can stay at one other household"
2) He didn't, but the site I read that he had instead wrote something that was wrong ie manure.
ie he didn't say "People living alone can stay at one other household" but the BBC (in this case, other sources may exist similarly) said he did.
Falsely.

simple really.

didds

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 11th, 2020, 3:27 pm

Snorvey wrote:An Aberdeen hotel is planning to set up transparent igloos to allow diners to eat outside while observing social distancing.

This is a great idea for Aberdeen Al fresco dining even at the best of times. I hope it comes with a nail gun to fix the thing to the ground.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/new ... ed-dining/

Love it!

"Can I book a Zorb for four at 7pm ?" :D

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 11th, 2020, 6:17 pm

A certain hotel near Pitlochry has "pods"

So far we have used the conventional dining room :)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 11th, 2020, 6:21 pm

Snorvey wrote:An Aberdeen hotel is planning to set up transparent igloos to allow diners to eat outside while observing social distancing.

This is a great idea for Aberdeen Al fresco dining even at the best of times.

How many nights a year is it warm enough to have dinner outside in Aberdeen?

I was there once in June and it was freezing.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 11th, 2020, 6:31 pm

Snorvey wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Pussy.

Absolutely. The coldest I ever felt was a hogmaney spent in Peterhead. I think I turned blue during first footing. It was so cold my eyes hurt.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 11th, 2020, 7:15 pm

Lootman wrote:

Some years ago my wife was at a conference down south, and was talking to the wife of a delegate who mentioned that her husband had been employed in Aberdeen for a short time - but they were now much relieved to have located back to southern parts. "Can you imagine a colder place than Aberdeen?" she said . "Well I come from Wick" was the response. :)

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » June 11th, 2020, 7:20 pm

I'm forever blowing bubbles . . .

T7

stop that sniggering at the back!

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 11th, 2020, 8:11 pm

didds wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

didds

The point being either

1) Johnson did come out with the line that gave the incredibly strong impression that only the single peron can stay at the multiple persons house
ie he said "People living alone can stay at one other household"
2) He didn't, but the site I read that he had instead wrote something that was wrong ie manure.
ie he didn't say "People living alone can stay at one other household" but the BBC (in this case, other sources may exist similarly) said he did.
Falsely.

simple really.

didds

Why read the media rather than the source for the facts?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/meeting-peo ... -household

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 11th, 2020, 9:37 pm

AF62 wrote:Why read the media rather than the source for the facts?

bnecause at the time I read everything it was about 20 minutes after the announcement and the gov website didnt have that info at that time. its that obvious really.

And the impact of this announcement was very important to us given a M-i-L living on her own 150 miles away. As I already explained.

didds

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 11th, 2020, 9:47 pm

didds wrote:

bnecause at the time I read everything it was about 20 minutes after the announcement and the gov website didnt have that info at that time. its that obvious really.

And the impact of this announcement was very important to us given a M-i-L living on her own 150 miles away. As I already explained.

didds

So if it wasn't published at the time then all the media could work with was BJ's burblings and the guy is incomprehensible at best of times!

BellaHubby
Lemon Pip

Postby BellaHubby » June 11th, 2020, 9:55 pm

didds wrote:

didds

Strikes me that the document, what Boris said, and what the BBC reported are pretty much in line
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... households

bh

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”