Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Come and give us your Unpopular Opinion....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Come and give us your Unpopular Opinion....

Postby kiloran » July 31st, 2020, 5:54 pm

Snorvey wrote:Just wait until the hacking of car software becomes a major industry

To what end?

Some malicious, just to cause cars to crash or go to the wrong destination for the fun(?) of it, some as ransomware (pay up or your car will not work), some paid-for apps to override speed limiter, some state-sponsored terrorism to shut down transport, etc.

--kiloran

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 31st, 2020, 6:01 pm

kiloran wrote:
Snorvey wrote:Just wait until the hacking of car software becomes a major industry

To what end?

Some malicious, just to cause cars to crash or go to the wrong destination for the fun(?) of it, some as ransomware (pay up or your car will not work), some paid-for apps to override speed limiter, some state-sponsored terrorism to shut down transport, etc.

--kiloran

Thanks for the Thank, Snorvey, but I think a Thank for such a depressing thought is..... well, depressing. Or have I given you some ideas for developing your software skills :lol:

--kiloran

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 31st, 2020, 6:38 pm

Snorvey wrote:In my opinion, automated cars can't come soon enough.

As a classic car enthusiast, I would say exactly the opposite. Cars are too cosseting, too easy to drive (badly). All driver aids should be eliminated, including power steering and syncromesh.

V8

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 1st, 2020, 10:48 am

Snorvey wrote:
Imagine not having to deal with a young bonehead travelling at 85mph in a 30mph zone.
Imagine not having to deal with a drunk driver that thought she was 'alright to drive because she'd only had half the bottle of Prosecco'

Doesn't seem too hard to imagine if I'm honest. Not sure I have ever had to deal with any of those. Am I the exception or are they particular common things to deal with elsewhere?

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 1st, 2020, 12:17 pm

Snorvey wrote:Dog owners, I know you're a bit thick (that's my (probably) unpopular opinion) but saying a rather weak 'sorry' after your scabby dug has ran out in front of my bike isn't really helpful.

The dog clearly needs better training to attack from the rear and puncture your back tyre. :)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 1st, 2020, 12:36 pm

88V8 wrote:As a classic car enthusiast, I would say exactly the opposite. Cars are too cosseting, too easy to drive (badly). All driver aids should be eliminated, including power steering and syncromesh.

V8

Re-start the Model T production line. That should cure the feeling of being cosseted among classic car enthusiasts. :)

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 1st, 2020, 1:22 pm

88V8 wrote:As a classic car enthusiast, I would say exactly the opposite. Cars are too cosseting, too easy to drive (badly). All driver aids should be eliminated, including power steering and syncromesh.

V8

Yes, lets include pneumatic tyres and hydraulic brakes whilst we're about it.

RC

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 1st, 2020, 8:13 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:

Yes, lets include pneumatic tyres and hydraulic brakes whilst we're about it.

And self-starters. Thereby eliminating 95% of women drivers.

The obligatory Model T is not a bad idea. It's quite, ahhh, different, to drive: See https://modeltfordfix.com/how-to-drive-a-model-t-ford/

That would certainly uncrowd the roads. And do wonders for the viability of public transport.

V8

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 1st, 2020, 11:08 pm

88V8 wrote:And self-starters. Thereby eliminating 95% of women drivers.
V8

I see what you mean :)

If you are pushing downwards on the crank with either hand and this happens you will break your arm, hand, wrist or all three.

RC

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 2nd, 2020, 3:01 am

88V8 wrote:The obligatory Model T is not a bad idea. It's quite, ahhh, different, to drive: See https://modeltfordfix.com/how-to-drive-a-model-t-ford/

My father worked on Model Ts as an apprentice in a garage in the 1920s - and gave me a description of their eccentricities. :)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 2nd, 2020, 11:06 am

scotia wrote:
88V8 wrote:The obligatory Model T is not a bad idea. It's quite, ahhh, different, to drive: See https://modeltfordfix.com/how-to-drive-a-model-t-ford/

My father worked on Model Ts as an apprentice in a garage in the 1920s - and gave me a description of their eccentricities. :)

I should also have added that he drove solid-tyre Albion trucks - and said they were OK if you didn't exceed 20mph - which was just about all that the Albion managed.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 2nd, 2020, 11:01 pm

Snorvey wrote:The electric assist bicycle is the new post virus sub 10 mile vehicle. The government just needs to put in the correct infrastructure

And prevent rain, ice, snow and general low temperatures.

V8

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 3rd, 2020, 12:43 am

88V8 wrote:
Snorvey wrote:The electric assist bicycle is the new post virus sub 10 mile vehicle. The government just needs to put in the correct infrastructure

And prevent rain, ice, snow and general low temperatures.

V8

..oh you want the English to ride them as well? ;)

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » August 4th, 2020, 3:47 pm

sunnyjoe wrote:Cyclists without a proper bell should get off and walk rather than sneaking up behind me and saying "excuse me" or tinkling their Christmas ornament. Cyclists riding at night without lights and reflective gear should just lie down in the road. The end will come just as surely.

When riding up a steep hill in front of a queue of cars unable to overtake safely, cyclists should be considerate to other road users. Stop, dismount and wait on the pavement or by side of the road until all vehicles have passed.

Otherwise all that happens is that cyclist doing utmost to keep moving every so often turns head around whereupon wobbles and car immediately behind brakes. In the case of inconsiderate behaviour last weekend it wasn't car behind but an articulated lorry.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 4th, 2020, 5:19 pm

I once had the "star letter" in the local paper. "Who are they trying to kill?"

The gist of it: they'd changed a road layout. From wide open, to having an island in the middle. Two lanes downhill (where a bike can do a similar speed to the cars), one lane uphill where anyone short of tour-de-france fit is going to be much slower.

Before the change, a car or even a bus or lorry, had ample space to pass a bike on that uphill.

After, a pinch point: no such space, though a bad driver might still try to squeeze past.

And to cap it all, new railings preventing an emergency escape to the pavement!

Conclusion: "is it any wonder if some cyclists use the pavement illegally and come into conflict with pedestrians"?

(for those with local knowledge, this was the A386 passing Derriford Hospital, and though memory is uncertain I think the change was part of the works that happened when they moved the road around that ill-considered airport).

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 4th, 2020, 5:51 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:(for those with local knowledge, this was the A386 passing Derriford Hospital, and though memory is uncertain I think the change was part of the works that happened when they moved the road around that ill-considered airport).

My unpopular opinion is that Plymouth airport should be reopened.

Rail and road links to Plymouth are pretty poor and, in the case of the train, subject to the state of the Dawlish seawall.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 4th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Lootman wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:(for those with local knowledge, this was the A386 passing Derriford Hospital, and though memory is uncertain I think the change was part of the works that happened when they moved the road around that ill-considered airport).

Rail and road links to Plymouth are pretty poor and, in the case of the train, subject to the state of the Dawlish seawall.

Whereas my opinion is (and was, even before that stretch got washed out to sea) is that what we need is a new and much-improved train line. Or even a re-opened old line: Exeter to Plymouth inland route via Okehampton and Tavistock, for the price of a few expensive yards of HS2 or Stonehenge tunnel. Developed-world infrastructure kind-of stops at Exeter.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 4th, 2020, 11:10 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Whereas my opinion is (and was, even before that stretch got washed out to sea) is that what we need is a new and much-improved train line. Or even a re-opened old line: Exeter to Plymouth inland route via Okehampton and Tavistock, for the price of a few expensive yards of HS2 or Stonehenge tunnel. Developed-world infrastructure kind-of stops at Exeter.

I agree with you about restoring the old SR route.

I know people who live in Plymouth and they use Newquay and Exeter airports. But it is a faff and every major UK city should have an airport, otherwise it is not a major UK city.

But isn't it ridiculous that the 180 miles from Paddington to Exeter takes 2 hours, and the 40 miles from Exeter to Plymouth takes 1 hour?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 4th, 2020, 11:41 pm

Lootman wrote:But isn't it ridiculous that the 180 miles from Paddington to Exeter takes 2 hours, and the 40 miles from Exeter to Plymouth takes 1 hour?

Exactly. It's very scenic on the coastal (and estuary) stretches, which may be great for holidaymakers, but not so useful for actually getting anywhere.

Exeter has the fast line to London, and the relatively fast line to Bristol, Brum, and destinations north/etc. Plymouth and Cornwall are kind-of stranded. The difference in our roads isn't quite so stark, but both the A30 and A38 west of Exeter are quite notorious.

As for airports, Bristol seems the least unpleasant, but in terms of travel it's nearly London.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 4th, 2020, 11:48 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Lootman wrote:But isn't it ridiculous that the 180 miles from Paddington to Exeter takes 2 hours, and the 40 miles from Exeter to Plymouth takes 1 hour?

Exactly. It's very scenic on the coastal (and estuary) stretches, which may be great for holidaymakers, but not so useful for actually getting anywhere.

Exeter has the fast line to London, and the relatively fast line to Bristol, Brum, and destinations north/?etc. Plymouth and Cornwall are kind-of stranded. The difference in our roads isn't quite so stark, but both the A30 and A38 west of Exeter are quite notorious.

As for airports, Bristol seems the least unpleasant, but in terms of travel it's nearly London.

The A30 inexplicably goes down to one lane each way somewhere near Bodmin. A recalcitrant farmer, perhaps?

Whilst the A38 near Ashburton, where they built the bypass on the old railway right-of-way, is routinely jammed with traffic.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”