Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Come and give us your Unpopular Opinion....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Come and give us your Unpopular Opinion....

Postby swill453 » May 21st, 2021, 7:50 pm

Great British Railways, and the new GB News morning programme to be called Great British Breakfast, makes me want to puke...

Scott.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 21st, 2021, 8:22 pm

Most white wine tastes like battery acid
A lot of expensive whiskies are undrinkable (particularly the iodine/phenolic ones)
British chocolate is generally awful
'Crocs' shoes look ridiculous on adults
Very expensive new-build houses look really trashy
Restaurant wine is a massive rip-off
I like wood burning stoves, and don't care about the 'pollution'
Nobody really needs a massive 4WD/SUV
Rugby is boring, F1 a close second
Sunbathing is boring
'Gotten' is a perfectly reasonable English word
Gilts are poor value at the moment
The Range Rover Evoque is really ugly
Farmed salmon is tasteless
Most trout tastes of mud
Beyond a certain point, money spent on speaker cables is wasted
Likewise hi fi separates in general
A pierced navel has never made a woman look more attractive
John Lennon wasn't the most talented Beatle
Ringo is a good drummer, and was ideal for the band he was in
Some craft beers are awful, and you'd be better off with a well-kept London Pride
Kindles are a poor second to real books

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 21st, 2021, 10:12 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Most white wine tastes like battery acid.....
..... Kindles are a poor second to real books

I agree with nearly all your list. Except you should avoid dry white wine.
So if we agree, is your opinion really 'unpopular'?
With whom?

V8

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » May 21st, 2021, 10:36 pm

Football is boring - unless you're working class. In which case it is more fun than listening to The Archers.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 21st, 2021, 10:46 pm

88V8 wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Most white wine tastes like battery acid.....
..... Kindles are a poor second to real books

I agree with nearly all your list. Except you should avoid dry white wine.
So if we agree, is your opinion really 'unpopular'?
With whom?

V8

Unpopular with the majority, taste setters, Instagram influencers (shudder)

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 21st, 2021, 10:48 pm

Champagne is like fizzy battery acid.

(Not that I have tried battery acid, I am just assuming that it tastes as bad as white wine.)

Julian F. G. W.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 21st, 2021, 11:15 pm

Good quality dry cider actually tastes like champagne but better

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 22nd, 2021, 12:08 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:Good quality dry cider actually tastes like champagne but better

I don't drink much cider although I have occasionally tried a few different ones. I did notice, when working behind the cider bar at a summer beer festival, that those drinking it tend to be much younger than the average real ale drinker, usually buy pints rather than smaller measures, and many of the females display huge amounts of cleavage.

Julian F. G. W.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » May 22nd, 2021, 12:18 am

jfgw wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Good quality dry cider actually tastes like champagne but better

I don't drink much cider although I have occasionally tried a few different ones. I did notice, when working behind the cider bar at a summer beer festival, that those drinking it tend to be much younger than the average real ale drinker, usually buy pints rather than smaller measures, and many of the females display huge amounts of cleavage.
That wasn't the Chelmsford Beer Festival by any chance was it Julian? C.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 22nd, 2021, 12:20 am

jfgw wrote:Champagne is like fizzy battery acid.

I rather dislike champagne. Our opinion may not be unpopular at all: perhaps the reason people show enthusiasm is because they don't want to spoil occasions of the kind where it's served.

Ruth Ball has a chapter on the origins of champagne, where she describes bemused winemakers responding to demand from English upper-class twits.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 22nd, 2021, 12:25 am

jfgw wrote:

Julian F. G. W.

And no doubt complain mercilessly that your gaze keeps drifting down when conversing with them....

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 22nd, 2021, 1:02 am

Mike4 wrote:
jfgw wrote:

Julian F. G. W.

And no doubt complain mercilessly that your gaze keeps drifting down when conversing with them....

Unless she's a tall woman, you have to look down just to look at her.

Come to think of it, I can't recollect any tall woman I've known dressing to emphasise her cleavage. I wonder if there's a connection?

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » May 22nd, 2021, 10:40 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:Most white wine tastes like battery acid
A lot of expensive whiskies are undrinkable (particularly the iodine/phenolic ones)

Well - your points 3 -22 inclusive are popular opinions, at least in my book
But there is an abundance of good white wine (not necessarily the cheapest, unfortunately), and the peaty, smoky, iodiney Islay single malts are a national treasure - which is why Salmonds and Sturgeons must keep their fishy secessionist ideas to themselves

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 22nd, 2021, 11:43 am

Well, I did say 'most white wine' :)
I actually have a bottle of NZ Sauv. Blanc here ("The Ned") which can be OK
I've found that I prefer the German whites (Riesling etc) - and the best white wine I ever had was actually brought back from Germany, rather than being bought in the UK. I suspect they hang on to the good stuff...

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 22nd, 2021, 12:18 pm

Snorvey wrote:'Friends' was, is and will be utter, utter pish. A 'comedy' designed for wimmin' if there ever was one.

Any comedy where an actor can get a round of applause just for walking onto the set is irretrievably up its own @rse. And so is he.

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 22nd, 2021, 2:27 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Well, I did say 'most white wine' :)
I actually have a bottle of NZ Sauv. Blanc here ("The Ned") which can be OK
I've found that I prefer the German whites (Riesling etc) - and the best white wine I ever had was actually brought back from Germany, rather than being bought in the UK. I suspect they hang on to the good stuff...

Whereas many dry white wines are great, Sauvignon Blanc is disgusting sickly stuff. The Liebfraumilch of our times.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 22nd, 2021, 3:02 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:I've found that I prefer the German whites (Riesling etc) - and the best white wine I ever had was actually brought back from Germany, rather than being bought in the UK. I suspect they hang on to the good stuff...

Whereas many dry white wines are great, Sauvignon Blanc is disgusting sickly stuff. The Liebfraumilch of our times.

Tastes change, styles change, and anyway there are excellent wines to be had in nearly any category. I've had some excellent dryish NZ Sauvignons, but also some hideously sweet junk that had the brass nerve to sit beside them on the shelves as though they were the same thing. Huh. :(

It's been 40 years since German producers stopped churning out so much of the traditional Blue Nun-type Liebfraus and started making drier white wines for a younger generation, because the Riesling drinkers were dying off fast. The switchover was also prompted by a couple of adulteration scandals, including the Germans adding sugar and the Austrians opting for antifreeze (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_diet ... ne_scandal ). But there are still some very nice Moselles etc out there - you just have to find the good ones without insulting your taste buds with all the rest.

We apologise for this helpful interlude. Normal sourness will be resumed as soon as possible. In the meantime, notwithstanding my over-generous first sentence, chianti remains universally undrinkable, and rioja makes my guts revolt. Meths goes well with red meat, white spirit with fish.

BJ

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 22nd, 2021, 3:08 pm

csearle wrote:
jfgw wrote:

That wasn't the Chelmsford Beer Festival by any chance was it Julian? C.

It was indeed Sunny Chelmsford. I hope to be back there in the summer of 2022.

Julian F. G. W.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 22nd, 2021, 3:16 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
We apologise for this helpful interlude. Normal sourness will be resumed as soon as possible. In the meantime, notwithstanding my over-generous first sentence, chianti remains universally undrinkable, and rioja makes my guts revolt. Meths goes well with red meat, white spirit with fish.

BJ

I'm so glad you said that, as it aligns with my own experience. About the Chianti and Rioja I mean. Many, many years ago I drank a very pleasant glass of wine from a bottle with "Chianti" on the label and every since, and hoping to find a similarly good wine, I occasionally buy a Chianti or Rioja in the hope of finding that wine again. They are always undrinkable and I was beginning to wonder if my taste buds were corked.

Not sure about the meths with red meat though, I prefer a nice young diesel.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 22nd, 2021, 3:23 pm

bungeejumper wrote:It's been 40 years since German producers stopped churning out so much of the traditional Blue Nun-type Liebfraus and started making drier white wines for a younger generation, because the Riesling drinkers were dying off fast.

Riesling is, on the whole, a halfway-house between a sauvignon blanc and a nice white wine. Germans keep their good wine, export their crap to us.

When white wine is an option at an event, I'll check the label and accept anything-but-sauvignon-blanc. OK, chardonnay is a lottery whether it's any good, and quite a few whites can be distinctly bland - e.g. chenin blanc, pinot grigio - but there's nothing else in the UK market so actively disgusting as sauvignon blanc. Even champagne - vacuous vain poseur though it is - is better than that!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”