Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Wet led pubs & government 50% scheme

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Wet led pubs & government 50% scheme

Postby Lootman » July 11th, 2020, 2:12 pm

didds wrote:
Lootman wrote:Well, I for one like Wetherspoons pubs.

There, I've said it now.

Nowt wrong with that lootman. In our town we are lucky - we have several excellent pubs and WS isnt "needed" for me and my chums etc.

Other towns are not so lucky - often spoons is the only realistic option in some towns.

I think there is some snobbery out there about Spoons. But to me they are clean, spacious and you know what you are getting. They are also very good value for money. And even before the virus they always kept their toilets very clean.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » July 11th, 2020, 2:14 pm

Ah is it both the pubs and the government that are 'wet led'? :D

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 11th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Lootman wrote:I think there is some snobbery out there about Spoons. But to me they are clean, spacious and you know what you are getting. They are also very good value for money. And even before the virus they always kept their toilets very clean.

My experience has been very different: they're far from clean. What really gets to me is those sticky tables that never get wiped. OK for just a drink if it's quiet and if you can get served, but not nice if you want to sit down, and seriously offputting if you want to eat.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 11th, 2020, 4:56 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Lootman wrote:I think there is some snobbery out there about Spoons. But to me they are clean, spacious and you know what you are getting. They are also very good value for money. And even before the virus they always kept their toilets very clean.

My experience has been very different: they're far from clean. What really gets to me is those sticky tables that never get wiped. OK for just a drink if it's quiet and if you can get served, but not nice if you want to sit down, and seriously offputting if you want to eat.

There are good ones and not so good ones. But generally the not so good ones are still far better than the many manky independents around.

As for getting served, doesn't everyone just use the app so they bring the drinks to you?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 11th, 2020, 4:59 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

I must admit I avoid them on a Friday or Saturday night. The cheap prices bring in a rowdier crowd. Never go to a pub with a bouncer on the door.

I also like the fact that they have enabled the preservation and renovation of a number of fine buildings, and they make an effort with the heritage and history of whatever the theme of the pub is.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 12th, 2020, 11:49 am

they dont pretend to be anything they are not indeed.

The running joke about spoons loos is they are somewhere on the 5th floor... :-)

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 12th, 2020, 11:53 am

Lootman wrote:I must admit I avoid them on a Friday or Saturday night. The cheap prices bring in a rowdier crowd. Never go to a pub with a bouncer on the door..

As I point out to those i know that make a big deal of hoping spoons collapses and closes down etc ... all those rowdy youngesters and trouser wetting 9am £1.99 Carling drinkers etc will then just go somewhere else - which may be "your" favourite pub....

didds

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 12th, 2020, 11:56 am

AF62 wrote:As for getting served, doesn't everyone just use the app so they bring the drinks to you?

Last time I tried it the only real ales you could order were the standard ones like Doom Bar and Abbott. None of the more interesting guest ales, which is the only reason I'm in there.

Scott.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » July 14th, 2020, 5:31 pm

Lootman wrote:Well, I for one like Wetherspoons pubs.

Me too. No awful music. And the airside ones at Heathrow are excellent VFM. If only other airports had anything even a fraction as good. Charles de Gaulle I'm looking at you.

Gryff

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”