Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

I went to a restaurant yesterday

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
servodude
Lemon Half

Re: I went to a restaurant yesterday

Postby servodude » August 3rd, 2020, 11:52 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:So while everything has a potential, the potentials vary... sadly I think post rugby drinking and singing sessions in dingy underground pubs might be off the cards for a while.

-sd

Are they allowing such a close-contact activity as rugby now?

Rugby Union restarts on 15th August. It is already underway in both New Zealand and Australia, with normal crowds attending. That might change in Melbourne.

TJH

I hope no-one thought I meant "league"; no singing Beyonce here.

-sd

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 4th, 2020, 12:18 am

scotia wrote:
didds wrote:
scotia wrote:And just to reinforce the argument - 13 confirmed infected persons linked to a visit to an Aberdeen Pub on 26th July. At least one has been hospitalised. More infected persons are expected. With that level of infectivity its easy to see growth potential from visits to Pubs.

i wonder how ... socially distanced etc... that one pub was - compared to others that are clearly folowing all the rules (froma limited experience)

the issue being of course is that all pubs will be tarred with the same brush.

didds

Update - 13 was the count on Sunday. Today it has been announced that the number of confirmed covid-19 infections associated with the pub has increased to 27.
The Environmental Health inspectors checked the pub and pronounced all of the correct procedures were in place. I'm sure that the 27 infected persons have been interrogated, and the authorities will know whether or not there have been broken rules in regards to separation. Scotland's national clinical director Prof Leitch said appropriate measures were in place and there was "no blame" for staff. He also said that there has to be a "reverse gear" over easing lockdown.

This is the pattern that's being repeated wherever in the world pubs have been re-opened, and while every bit of prophylaxis helps it gets much harder once you're putting groups of people indoors for long periods

In the right environment this looks to be spread via aerosol. It gets suspended in the air as a cloud for a while (the figure I've seen is for a half life of just over an hour - https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973).
So to help with that you really want; social distancing, a good breeze and UV light - which sounds like how I remember school discos.
Or if Jim Dyson still wants to help he can distribute those big quiet fans to places.

- sd

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 4th, 2020, 12:27 am

servodude wrote:So to help with that you really want; social distancing, a good breeze and UV light - which sounds like how I remember school discos.
Or if Jim Dyson still wants to help he can distribute those big quiet fans to places.

- sd

There was a geezer on R4 about a month back saying his firm had developed a UV light source that killed SARS-CoV-2 and at the same time was totally safe to shine on human beans. Bloke reckoned they were investing massive money ramping up production for major product launch in October. Reckoned EVERYONE would be buying his UV lamps and the programme saw this as a total game changer for pubs etc. Sounded very promising.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 4th, 2020, 12:41 am

Mike4 wrote:
servodude wrote:So to help with that you really want; social distancing, a good breeze and UV light - which sounds like how I remember school discos.

- sd

There was a geezer on R4 about a month back saying his firm had developed a UV light source that killed SARS-CoV-2 and at the same time was totally safe to shine on human beans. Bloke reckoned they were investing massive money ramping up production for major product launch in October. Reckoned EVERYONE would be buying his UV lamps and the programme saw this as a total game changer for pubs etc. Sounded very promising.

That sounds interesting and a bit weird
The point about UV light as a sterilising agent is that it damages the RNA/DNA; perhaps there's a really short wave version that can't get through cell walls? you'd have to be pretty confident at avoiding leakage though (or in your very narrowband emitter)
I might wear sunnies indoors just to be sure if it takes off

and then there's the dandruff!

- sd

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 4th, 2020, 12:55 am

servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

- sd

That sounds interesting and a bit weird
The point about UV light as a sterilising agent is that it damages the RNA/DNA; perhaps there's a really short wave version that can't get through cell walls? you'd have to be pretty confident at avoiding leakage though (or in your very narrowband emitter)
I might wear sunnies indoors just to be sure if it takes off

and then there's the dandruff!

- sd

Looks like it's called Far-UVC (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-67211-2)

- sd

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 4th, 2020, 1:01 am

servodude wrote:This is the pattern that's being repeated wherever in the world pubs have been re-opened, and while every bit of prophylaxis helps it gets much harder once you're putting groups of people indoors for long periods.

Hmm, weren't you the one a while ago who was telling us that everyone is going out to pubs in Australia with no problem?

I think it might have been the same post where you said it was perfectly possible to drink beer whilst wearing a mask!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 4th, 2020, 1:02 am

servodude wrote:and then there's the dandruff!

Looks like it's called Far-UVC (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-67211-2)

- sd

Can't see no mention of the dandruff.....!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 4th, 2020, 1:19 am

Lootman wrote:
servodude wrote:This is the pattern that's being repeated wherever in the world pubs have been re-opened, and while every bit of prophylaxis helps it gets much harder once you're putting groups of people indoors for long periods.

Hmm, weren't you the one a while ago who was telling us that everyone is going out to pubs in Australia with no problem?

I think it might have been the same post where you said it was perfectly possible to drink beer whilst wearing a mask!

I did describe going for a beer in June (well 4 beers and a meal)
- hardly no problem even then :( just 20 people in groups of 6 or fewer in an outside space for 200
- certainly no masks that doesn't work

You might be confusing things as I did try and help you understand you were mistaken in how your mask vent worked: perhaps you can get someone to help you with the search box if you want to check (I posted the links for you last time - and I think that post was removed because this is the pub) ;)

- sd

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 4th, 2020, 1:23 am

servodude wrote:
Lootman wrote:

- hardly no problem even then :( just 20 people in groups of 6 or fewer in an outside space for 200

You might be confusing things as I did try and help you understand you were mistaken in how your mask vent worked: perhaps you can someone to help you with the search box if you want to check (I posted the links for you last time - and I think that post was removed because this is the pub) ;)

No confusion. I definitely remember you claiming that it was no problem to wear a mask whilst drinking beer. Although given that Melbourne is now under lockdown you may care to revisit that nonchalance.

I have an array of masks and fully understand how they work, and also their limitations, especially when it comes to trying to drink beer whilst wearing one.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 4th, 2020, 1:26 am

Lootman wrote:
servodude wrote:
Lootman wrote:Hmm, weren't you the one a while ago who was telling us that everyone is going out to pubs in Australia with no problem?

You might be confusing things as I did try and help you understand you were mistaken in how your mask vent worked: perhaps you can someone to help you with the search box if you want to check (I posted the links for you last time - and I think that post was removed because this is the pub) ;)

No confusion. I definitely remember you claiming that it was no problem to wear a mask whilst drinking beer. Although given that Melbourne is now under lockdown you may care to revisit that nonchalance.

I have an array of masks and fully understand how they work, and also their limitations, especially when it comes to trying to drink beer whilst wearing one.

erm from:
viewtopic.php?p=308132#p308132

Lootman wrote:Yes, my N99 mask has a one-way valve. I breathe in through the valve but exhale elsewhere. Clearly that mask is designed to help the wearer and not others, although of course any barrier is better than nothing

perhaps your search skills and memory are up there with your full understanding of your mask workings ;)

- sd

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 4th, 2020, 1:32 am

servodude wrote:
Lootman wrote:Yes, my N99 mask has a one-way valve. I breathe in through the valve but exhale elsewhere. Clearly that mask is designed to help the wearer and not others, although of course any barrier is better than nothing

That is a contradiction. A valve would bypass the protection that the wearer seeks. I also made the point that the micromesh on the mask protects the wearer, and not others, in a quote that you conveniently omitted. Otherwise the rest of the commentary would make no sense.

A better criticism is that wearing such a mask does not protect others, but oddly you failed to make that point.

But that is all off topic here. I wanted you to explain the glib throwaway comments you made about how everyone in Melbourne is cheerfully drinking beer in pubs (whilst wearing masks, apparently) with no problem!

Given events, were you wrong?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 4th, 2020, 1:47 am

Lootman wrote:
servodude wrote:

That is a contradiction. A valve would bypass the protection that the wearer seeks. I also made the point that the micromesh on the mask protects the wearer, and not others, in a quote that you conveniently omitted. Otherwise the rest of the commentary would make no sense.

A better criticism is that wearing such a mask does not protect others, but oddly you failed to make that point.

But that is all off topic here. I wanted you to explain the glib throwaway comments you made about how everyone in Melbourne is cheerfully drinking beer (whilst wearing masks, apparently) with no problem!

Sheesh loots the trolling is strong today
I know you can't resist a "when I use a word it means exactly what I intend it to mean" but the link was there, have a read:
- that's the entirety of your post quoted, nothing omitted ( viewtopic.php?p=308132#p308132)

I did post about my June pub visit when asked about it, that's here: viewtopic.php?p=315959#p315959
- how things have changed since (and not just the bloody freezing weather)

I also posted a picture of a pint when you started on your "drinking with a mask thing" that one's here: viewtopic.php?p=319234#p319234
- perhaps the 50 shades reference was a bit glib though, but I really don't judge ;)

and has the searching improved here recently? (or is it just quieter)

- sd

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 4th, 2020, 2:00 am

servodude wrote:Sheesh loots the trolling is strong today

Surely an experienced commentator like you knows that accusing one's adversary of "trolling", or any other personal comments or characterisations, is tantamount to admitting that you have lost the debate?

I am merely inviting you to admit that the glib Schadenfreude that you demonstrated about Melbourne getting this all right turned out to be all wrong. As was your delightfully amusing claim that one can drink beer through a mask.

Sometimes the only way out is through, "dude".

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 4th, 2020, 2:20 am

Lootman wrote:
servodude wrote:Sheesh loots the trolling is strong today

Surely an experienced commentator like you knows that accusing one's adversary of "trolling", or any other personal comments or characterisations, is tantamount to admitting that you have lost the debate?

I am merely inviting you to admit that the glib Schadenfreude that you demonstrated about Melbourne getting this all right turned out to be all wrong. As was your delightfully amusing claim that one can drink beer through a mask.

Sometimes the only way out is through, "dude".

there's no debate as to what was said - it's recorded: i posted the links and suggested you read them
i'm guessing you didn't?

I'm not lying about what was posted and your need to misrepresent what I said seems strange
that's why it smells of trolling

- sd

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 4th, 2020, 2:29 am

servodude wrote:your need to misrepresent what I said seems strange that's why it smells of trolling

You started the misrepresentation by only partially quoting me.

And it was off-topic. The issue here was that your former claims about some forms of public behaviour being "safe" turned out to be false. Quite why you refuse to admit you were wrong is something I will leave to our readers to decide. But seeking to deflect and making this personal will not change the facts, but rather will lead readers to question why you feel that need in the first place.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 4th, 2020, 3:01 am

Lootman wrote:You started the misrepresentation by only partially quoting me.

I'll partially quote myself:
servodude wrote:- that's the entirety of your post quoted, nothing omitted ( viewtopic.php?p=308132#p308132 )

- follow the link
- as I said that's your entire post quoted - I don't get why you're doing this?

Lootman wrote:And it was off-topic. The issue here was that your former claims about some forms of public behaviour being "safe" turned out to be false. Quite why you refuse to admit you were wrong is something I will leave to our readers to decide. But seeking to deflect and making this personal will not change the facts, but rather will lead readers to question why you feel that need in the first place.

yes you've jumped in here with some off topic agenda to try and stick the boot in for some reason which seems mad

you might have me confused with some other poster? or you might genuinely be mistaken?

on the only pub visit I've made since march (the one i posted about) we sat outside in the sun as a table of five in a space that could hold more than 200 but was limited to 20
- that's about as safe as you can get even given the understanding that the virus suspends in the air

if you think there is a claim I've made about any behaviour being more safe than it is please post a link and I will address it directly
- please understand that I take a much more cautious approach to this virus than many
- and I would hate to think I had under-represented it in a public post

as for the situation "down-under" it's a [expletive deleted] show
- there have been some disgraceful lapses that have allowed the virus to spread
- but I fully back the current restrictions imposed in Victoria despite the inconvenience and difficulties
I accept that there are (and will continue to be) differences of opinion about that but it's primarily a moral concern where I'm concerned - it's for the same reason I don't develop stuff that's designed to kill folk

to bring this thread back on topic: fk knows when I'll next get to a restaurant and I'm immensely jealous of anyone who can!

- sd

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 4th, 2020, 3:14 am

servodude wrote:as for the situation "down-under" it's a Manure show
- but I fully back the current restrictions imposed in Victoria despite the inconvenience and difficulties
I accept that there are (and will continue to be) differences of opinion about that but it's primarily a moral concern where I'm concerned - it's for the same reason I don't develop stuff that's designed to kill folk

to bring this thread back on topic: fk knows when I'll next get to a restaurant and I'm immensely jealous of anyone who can!

Fair enough. I think most of us can agree that we "don't develop stuff that's designed to kill folk".

Although I am not averse to investing in defence companies.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 4th, 2020, 3:31 am

Lootman wrote:
servodude wrote:as for the situation "down-under" it's a Manure show

Fair enough. I think most of us can agree that we "don't develop stuff that's designed to kill folk".

Although I am not averse to investing in defence companies.

I was tricked in to a "defence" project once: "why are we trying to detect speech embedded in helicopter and
tank noise?"
- and back in the days when we had "pubs" I'd get referred for "interesting" contracts quite regularly; single use drones that deliver 6-packs of beer seem like fun (if only that was what they're for)
- then again my current mob are equating COVID sequellae with sales for home NIV and rubbing their hands in delight, so some days i wonder why I bother; at least the drive through bottleshops are still open

- sd

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 4th, 2020, 8:34 am

servodude wrote:This is the pattern that's being repeated wherever in the world pubs have been re-opened, and while every bit of prophylaxis helps it gets much harder once you're putting groups of people indoors for long periods

ah - that'll be why I maybe was a little confused. All my locals (ie the pubs I see) have outdoor areas and the only time one may venture indoors is to use a toilet or (depending on the establishment) order a drink in a SD manner (one at a time in the bar, 2m distancing etc) before leaving for outdoors.

So can someone explain how if being indoors is the issue, why offices are not only reopening but Bojo is stating we shoud return to them? And why schools are reopening? Something isnt adding up here ?

didds

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 4th, 2020, 8:39 am

scotia wrote:
dealtn wrote:So there are 50,000 pubs in the UK. Do you happen to know the infection outcomes in the other 49,999? I'm afraid all you are doing is demonstrating Selection Bias. A well known statistical term.

I fear you are mis-understanding how the information I provided was obtained. In Scotland we have a significantly lower infection rate than south of the border. Hence all reported cases are quickly investigated, and sources of clusters are identified. From such (few) clusters we may learn useful information. One cluster was associated with a visit to a pub on a specific date - with at least 13 infections. We don't have other clusters in Scotland with different numbers of infections from visits by an infected person to a pub, and we obviously can't carry out a test by seeding such persons. So that number is currently a best guide as to what happened in that particular pub environment. Environment health officers visited the bar to assess the controls implemented, and they confirmed that the pub had a series of controls in place for physical distancing and enhanced hygiene. We can therefore assume that there was nothing exceptionally different from the advised norm in that pub. Hence the cluster size of 13, is at the very least an indication of what can be expected in such circumstances. The previous respondent, who's contribution I supported, suggested a multiplication of 10. I provided the above evidence to suggest his number appeared to be in the correct ball park.
Have you any experimental evidence to support a widely different number?

No, I think its perfectly possible that on occasions 10, or even more, can be infected.

But my argument isn't that it isn't possible. My argument is that it is rare, and like all things you need to weigh up the risks, and positive and negative outcomes on both sides. It would appear that 49,999 pubs don't have that outcome, unless you have evidence otherwise? I suspect many thousands have zero spreading, a few hundred one or two, and a very few as much as 10.

There are considerably more than 50,000 cars on the road, and people are hurt and die every day. Do we ban cars? No society accepts that risk despite the undoubted tragedies felt by a few. The benefits of having cars are deemed important enough to continue.

There might be 50,000 trains in the country (I don't know). Occasionally one comes off the rails. People die. The cause, and safety features are examined by an enquiry, and lessons maybe learned. Are trains still allowed to run? The benefits are deemed worth it.

Planes crash. Oil terminals occasionally explode. Ships sink. The economy isn't stopped.

I don't think any of us want to live in a society where all deaths are to be prevented at all costs, and what that would entail. Maybe you disagree?

If every avoidable death is a tragedy and we should (literally) do whatever it takes to prevent such, then why are there cars on the road? Why is so little spent on adult mental health to prevent suicides? Why aren't nuts banned from shops to prevent the few allergic reaction deaths? Why isn't society shut down, and masks made compulsory, to prevent the many thousands of flu deaths every year?

Society has to decide the level of risks, and the inevitable outcomes associated with that in terms of injuries and deaths. That can be tricky to do. It was probably right that "extreme" measures were taken in locking down, but such an extreme response also has many negatives, and is costing peoples lives as well as livelihoods through the economic situation.

So (returning to the subject) it isn't an issue to me if pubs and restaurants are re-opening (and the results of such being scrutinized) if that allows people to keep their jobs, improves mental health etc. As not doing so also endangers lives (many of whom will ordinarily have multiple years ahead of them). Few seem to be "fighting" to save these unseen deaths and tragedies it seems.

I can't see the implied alternative of shutting many thousands of businesses, making millions unemployed, and having schools and hospitals closed as being "better". I doubt you do too. So all we are arguing about is where the line is drawn, and people will have differing opinions on that. I just ask that those tasked with making such difficult decisions, that won't please all of us, hear the evidence and consider the harm, and fatalities, on both sides of the debate, and are pragmatic not dogmatic, about monitoring and potentially revising some of those decisions.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”