Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Degustatory diversity

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Degustatory diversity

Postby stevensfo » July 19th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Mike4 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
By the way, I noticed the comments about beef being traditionally expensive, but I remember my Grandmother telling me how beef used to be quite cheap and it was chicken that was considered a delicacy. Any truth in this?

Steve

Good point that half-crossed my mind too. As a child in the early 60s my mother used to say the same. Beef was all we could afford and chicken was for special occasions like Christmas (substitute turkey).

Mind you, have ever heard a Yorkshireman say anything was cheap or good value? Whatever the price they say "expensive". I'm surprised they don't moan and whine about the price of Yorkshire pudding too!

Well, all I can say is the thrift much have paid off, since all my retired relatives in Yorkshire and Lancashire seem to have amazing pensions and are enjoying retirement to the full. They always seem to get upgrades on flights as well. Canny buggers! ;)

Steve

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » July 19th, 2020, 5:52 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Mind you, have ever heard a Yorkshireman say anything was cheap or good value? Whatever the price they say "expensive". I'm surprised they don't moan and whine about the price of Yorkshire pudding too!

Have you seen the price of flour since this Covid thing started, not to mention, eggs are 2p a dozen dearer, it's outrageous the prices they are charging. They aren't giving milk away either. Profiteering I call it. Should string the lot of them up if you ask me.

(There you go.)

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » July 19th, 2020, 6:17 pm

Spam spam spam spam

T7

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » July 19th, 2020, 7:30 pm

stevensfo wrote:So there weren't many vegetarians in those days, I guess? :)

When my cousin announced she was going vegetarian, just after her wedding which was 1983, our mutual Gran offered to give her some money. The only reason Gran could conceive why anyone would turn vege was that they were too poor to afford meat. So it is a surprisingly modern lifechoice.

Gryff

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 19th, 2020, 10:16 pm

gryffron wrote:

When my cousin announced she was going vegetarian, just after her wedding which was 1983, our mutual Gran offered to give her some money. The only reason Gran could conceive why anyone would turn vege was that they were too poor to afford meat. So it is a surprisingly modern lifechoice.

Gryff

Yes it was around about then that going veggie started getting trendy, and the joke was, whenever someone told you they were veggie you would look carefully into their eyes and say "you're a veggie? Really? You don't look that ill!"

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 19th, 2020, 11:08 pm

The first vegetarian I came across was in 1961 when we moved into our first house. The man over the road was vegetarian because he had work which involved slaughterhouses, and that put him off meat for good.

I also remember that, when I was at University, in our College Hall they seemed to have found a breed of chicken which only had legs, never a body. Breast was reserved for High Table. This was before the invention of broiler chickens, when they suddenly found a use for all those cock chicks that they had been drowning.

TJH

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 19th, 2020, 11:45 pm

Many moons ago I was told of a formal dinner held by a club in a prestigious Edinburgh hotel. Chicken (an expensive luxury in those days) was the main course. Only, the teller of this tale was a butcher, and he knew full well that the bones were from a rabbit.

dragnips
Lemon Pip

Postby dragnips » July 20th, 2020, 10:01 am

gryffron wrote:DYK: Some people outside Yorkshire even serve their Yorkshire Pud on the SAME PLATE as the meat course.

Heathens!

Gryff

Some people outside Yorkshire serve their Yorkshire Pud with NO GRAVY!

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » July 20th, 2020, 11:04 am

GoSeigen wrote:Do you eat your dessert with your yorkshire pud? A lump of chocolate to flavour the boiled rice? Gravy on your cornflakes for lunch?

It was (and perhaps still is) common for the impecunious to eat Yorkshire pudding with jam or something else sweet before the main course in order to blunt the pangs of hunger and thus not want to eat much more (because there wasn't much moire to eat). My paternal grandmother did so as a child.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 20th, 2020, 11:26 am

Rhyd6 wrote:Even more disgusting is the trend for filling large yorkshire puddings with something that is supposed to be a roast dinner! Ugh!!

R6

Is it equally disgusting when you make pasta into a full meal (as in spag bol)? Same principle.

Yorkshiremen traditionally eat the yorkshire pud before the meat. Central Italians do the same with the pasta. I guess it's something to do with being neither rich (eat unlimited) nor poor (well, you have your meat course).

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 20th, 2020, 2:18 pm

stewamax wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:Do you eat your dessert with your yorkshire pud? A lump of chocolate to flavour the boiled rice? Gravy on your cornflakes for lunch?

It was (and perhaps still is) common for the impecunious to eat Yorkshire pudding with jam or something else sweet before the main course in order to blunt the pangs of hunger and thus not want to eat much more (because there wasn't much moire to eat). My paternal grandmother did so as a child.

Makes sense since the recipe for Yorkshire pudding is identical (or close enough) to the recipe for pancake mix. The only difference is that the pudding is baked while the pancake mix is fried, So on that logic, having a sweet topping on Yorkshire pudding makes just as much sense as sweet toppings on pancakes. It is a "pudding", after all.

Similarly, suet puddings can be sweet or savoury.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » July 20th, 2020, 3:00 pm

stevensfo wrote:Just guessing here, but I imagine that in thrifty Yorkshire families, they'd fill the kids up with the Yorkshire pudding, then feign annoyance when the kids moaned that they were full. ;)

I remember someone telling me that the collective noun for a group of Yorkshiremen is an "owmuch" :lol:

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » July 20th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:I remember someone telling me that the collective noun for a group of Yorkshiremen is an "owmuch" :lol:

and 'tyke' is the local dialect spelling of 'tight'

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 20th, 2020, 4:31 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:I remember someone telling me that the collective noun for a group of Yorkshiremen is an "owmuch" :lol:

Are the Wars of the Roses still rumbling on?

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » July 20th, 2020, 6:16 pm

scotia wrote:

No, we won on 22 August 1485 in extra time! ;)

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » July 20th, 2020, 7:58 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:Even more disgusting is the trend for filling large yorkshire puddings with something that is supposed to be a roast dinner! Ugh!!

R6

Is it equally disgusting when you make pasta into a full meal (as in spag bol)? Same principle.

Yorkshiremen traditionally eat the yorkshire pud before the meat. Central Italians do the same with the pasta. I guess it's something to do with being neither rich (eat unlimited) nor poor (well, you have your meat course).

Another thought, the working class Sheffield families I knew all made the meat from Sunday stretch to provide Mondays meal. Another reason to fill up on Yorkshire puddings on Sunday, eat too much on Sunday you 'went hungry' on Monday.

My parents bought a shop so mum could work and look after the kids at the same time. The shop meant we were never poor like some of the other families in the area. In those days most young married women didn't work, they had children to look after. The only work possible was a twilight shif at Bassetts factory if the husband was on day work. Most men in the steelworks were shift workers.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 20th, 2020, 8:03 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
scotia wrote:

I thought it was disallowed by VAR

--kiloran

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 20th, 2020, 10:42 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
scotia wrote:

Was that the one when your team captain employed the same strategies as later did the Duke of Plaza Toro?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 20th, 2020, 11:48 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
scotia wrote:

I hope you're duly ashamed of the venue. Bloomin' car park in Leicester: you're just a bunch of yobs (both sides).

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 21st, 2020, 7:33 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:I hope you're duly ashamed of the venue. Bloomin' car park in Leicester

No choice, apparently. There was no horse available. ;)

BJ

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”