Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Walter Raleigh (1973 Stamp)

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
monabri
Lemon Half

Walter Raleigh (1973 Stamp)

Postby monabri » July 21st, 2020, 10:51 am

My wife received a small parcel in the post today. I noticed that one of the stamps used to pay the postage was a 1973 Walter Raleigh commemorative (the purple 7 1/2 p stamp). I thought that maybe it was a reissue?

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALe ... 98&bih=686

I was surprised that someone should be using a stamp which was printed nearly 50 years ago!

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: Walter Raleigh (1973 Stamp)

Postby richlist » July 21st, 2020, 11:20 am

When one of my relations died I had the job of clearing their house. We found a large number of uk unused commemorative stamps. We took them to a stamp dealer shop and he told us they had no real value as there were millions printed. He advised us to use them on our letters and post.......so we did.

Maybe that's what has happened in your case.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 21st, 2020, 12:25 pm

i recently had an ebay purchase arrive with a bunch of 1970-s christmas stamps as its postage. the above suggestion makes some sense now as an explanantion :-)

didds

oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Postby oldapple » July 21st, 2020, 3:02 pm

I remember a post a few years ago when someone (CK?) told us of his substantial investment in first or second class stamps, and his profit on paper at the time. Even more now!

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » July 21st, 2020, 4:07 pm

oldapple wrote:I remember a post a few years ago when someone (CK?) told us of his substantial investment in first or second class stamps, and his profit on paper at the time. Even more now!

Unfortunately that doesn't work in cash denominated stamps, does it. They've devalued just as much as cash. Arguably more, for the same reason as above.

Gryff

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 21st, 2020, 4:34 pm

gryffron wrote:
oldapple wrote:I remember a post a few years ago when someone (CK?) told us of his substantial investment in first or second class stamps, and his profit on paper at the time. Even more now!

Unfortunately that doesn't work in cash denominated stamps, does it. They've devalued just as much as cash. Arguably more, for the same reason as above.

Gryff

No you are right, but first and second class stamps aren't cash denominated, and haven't been for some time, hence their attraction as an investment, particularly when index-linked alternatives aren't particularly available or attractive. I know someone who invested a large 5 figure sum in such a way many years ago.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 21st, 2020, 4:44 pm

gryffron wrote:

Unfortunately that doesn't work in cash denominated stamps, does it.

Oh I dunno. It's worked pretty well with the Penny Black. :D (As long as you don't try and use it for actual postage!)

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 22nd, 2020, 8:02 am

dealtn wrote:
gryffron wrote:

Gryff

No you are right, but first and second class stamps aren't cash denominated, and haven't been for some time, hence their attraction as an investment, particularly when index-linked alternatives aren't particularly available or attractive. I know someone who invested a large 5 figure sum in such a way many years ago.

Around 2010 I bought what I estimated would be 5 to 10 years use of 1st and 2nd class stamps because of the large price increase which had been announced at that time. Since then the cost of a stamp has doubled.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) my estimate was inaccurate (mainly due to Christmas card lists shrinking from natural causes) and likely I have enough stamps for the next 30 years.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 22nd, 2020, 8:55 am

AF62 wrote:
dealtn wrote:
gryffron wrote:Unfortunately that doesn't work in cash denominated stamps, does it. They've devalued just as much as cash. Arguably more, for the same reason as above.

Gryff

Around 2010 I bought what I estimated would be 5 to 10 years use of 1st and 2nd class stamps because of the large price increase which had been announced at that time. Since then the cost of a stamp has doubled.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) my estimate was inaccurate (mainly due to Christmas card lists shrinking from natural causes) and likely I have enough stamps for the next 30 years.

Well I haven't seen him for about 5 years, but he didn't expect to use them, but did sell them to others. I can't remember the exact amount but 50,000+ or so stamps would exceed most letter writer's ambitions I would think. They have proved ok as an "inflation" investment I think, if he is still in that "investment".

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”