Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,mark88man,stirlo,johnstevens77,Rhyd6, for Donating to support the site

Insomniacs

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
servodude
Lemon Quarter

Re: Insomniacs

Postby servodude » September 8th, 2020, 11:40 am

johnhemming wrote:
servodude wrote:£80 does seem a lot for data that it's already tracking!

I know that a lot of fitbit type devices already are capable of SpO2 tracking and it's very useful in monitoring sleep

I am thinking of looking to upgrade the measurement device and obviously the more reliable measurements the better.

I do, however, think that an annual charge of £80 is a bit of a try on and that will motivate me to look for alternatives (particularly as fitbit is not that reliable for sleep analysis anyway).

Withings, however, is as far as I can tell useless. They provide an under the mattress sensor which I have found to be approximately zero utility.

Yeah a lot of the sensors try to use motion as a proxy for sleep cycles; which will correlate for a lot of people, but it's still a proxy for
EEG/SpO2/ECG.
There's no reason a tympanic sensor couldn't pick up heart rate through a mattress, but it's going to need good running calibration to cope with rolling and movement (despite that some folk really like the withings system)
Heart rate and SpO2 I do see as being the most useful measurements with current generation home technologies.
Not that they help you get to sleep; but they can give you an indication of why you might be waking, or more usefully if you're not, but are suffering otherwise.

-sd

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Re: Insomniacs

Postby johnhemming » September 8th, 2020, 11:55 am

What I am happy about with Fitbit is that I don't really notice it.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”