Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to mark88man,stirlo,johnstevens77,Rhyd6,87investor, for Donating to support the site

Simsqu Proved Correct

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Rhyd6
Lemon Slice
Posts: 771
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:01 pm
Has thanked: 742 times
Been thanked: 466 times

Simsqu Proved Correct

#334957

Postby Rhyd6 » August 21st, 2020, 5:57 pm

Article in the paper today announced that some poor chap was suffering with "Toxic Courgette Syndrome", seems there's quite a lot of it about. It appears Simsqu knew something we didn't!!!!

R6

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half
Posts: 5384
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 686 times
Been thanked: 1093 times

Re: Simsqu Proved Correct

#334962

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 21st, 2020, 6:27 pm

Erm, what???

Search found 0 matches: toxic courgette
Searched query: toxic courgette


(just heard report of courgette poisoning ont' wireless, but don't see your reference).

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4518
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 1213 times
Been thanked: 1219 times

Re: Simsqu Proved Correct

#334969

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 21st, 2020, 7:08 pm

Try zucchini apocalypse

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4619
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 2:30 pm
Has thanked: 1306 times
Been thanked: 1744 times

Re: Simsqu Proved Correct

#335011

Postby bungeejumper » August 22nd, 2020, 9:04 am

https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/21/man-pois ... -13157936/

Gourd help the poor chap. He'll be feeling a bit seedy for several more weeks, apparently.

BJ

simsqu
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 175
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:54 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 260 times

Re: Simsqu Proved Correct

#335533

Postby simsqu » August 24th, 2020, 4:38 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Article in the paper today announced that some poor chap was suffering with "Toxic Courgette Syndrome", seems there's quite a lot of it about. It appears Simsqu knew something we didn't!!!!

R6


AHA!!!

During lockdown my missus has converted part of our estate (one small patch of dirt in our postage stamp sized London garden) into a vegetable plot. We have enjoyed her crop of broad beans: 12 in total (beans not plants or pods), carrot (singular), delicious red gooseberries from which I made - quite literally - a dessertspoon of compote, plus a few other items such as potatoes and tomatoes, both of which I have to say have been very good.

Whilst enjoying a coffee on the patio a few weeks ago, I pointed to a quite vigorous plant in its own pot, sporting a magnificent yellow flower.

"What's that?"

"It's a courgette flower.

Would you like me to get a towel to wipe you down? Was that coffee hot?"

"Will it produce a courgette?"

"I think we need to have a talk. You see, when a mummy loves a daddy very much..."

"Ok, ok, just keep it the hell away from me"

-------- Intermission --------

(picture of potter's wheel)

A week or so later, and voila - one yellow courgette.

She picked it, sliced it thinly, chargrilled it and had it with a salad for lunch.

"Any good?"

"......not really"

AHA!!!

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half
Posts: 5384
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 686 times
Been thanked: 1093 times

Re: Simsqu Proved Correct

#335581

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 24th, 2020, 6:34 pm

Courgette flowers are firmly on the menu in Italy. Often served in batter, where they might go alongside other battered food like scampi.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4168
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:51 pm
Has thanked: 1924 times
Been thanked: 2190 times

Re: Simsqu Proved Correct

#335619

Postby Snorvey » August 24th, 2020, 8:41 pm

simsqu wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:Article in the paper today announced that some poor chap was suffering with "Toxic Courgette Syndrome", seems there's quite a lot of it about. It appears Simsqu knew something we didn't!!!!

R6


AHA!!!

During lockdown my missus has converted part of our estate (one small patch of dirt in our postage stamp sized London garden) into a vegetable plot. We have enjoyed her crop of broad beans: 12 in total (beans not plants or pods), carrot (singular), delicious red gooseberries from which I made - quite literally - a dessertspoon of compote, plus a few other items such as potatoes and tomatoes, both of which I have to say have been very good.

Whilst enjoying a coffee on the patio a few weeks ago, I pointed to a quite vigorous plant in its own pot, sporting a magnificent yellow flower.

"What's that?"

"It's a courgette flower.

Would you like me to get a towel to wipe you down? Was that coffee hot?"

"Will it produce a courgette?"

"I think we need to have a talk. You see, when a mummy loves a daddy very much..."

"Ok, ok, just keep it the hell away from me"

-------- Intermission --------

(picture of potter's wheel)

A week or so later, and voila - one yellow courgette.

She picked it, sliced it thinly, chargrilled it and had it with a salad for lunch.

"Any good?"

"......not really"

AHA!!!


Tom and Barbara live!

simsqu
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 175
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:54 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 260 times

Re: Simsqu Proved Correct

#335746

Postby simsqu » August 25th, 2020, 11:09 am

Snorvey wrote:
Tom and Barbara live!


More like Terry and June, regrettably.

Also UncleEbenezer, I have often had courgette flowers in Rome and rather like them

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Slice
Posts: 349
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:40 am
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: Simsqu Proved Correct

#337497

Postby GrahamPlatt » September 1st, 2020, 8:57 pm

Just in case there are any more to be had from this year’s harvest...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -spicy-dal

And just a BTW, I tried the search facility to find this thread. Only remembered it had Simsqu in the title so that’s what I searched for. Three posts found, nothing relevant.

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4619
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 2:30 pm
Has thanked: 1306 times
Been thanked: 1744 times

Re: Simsqu Proved Correct

#337535

Postby bungeejumper » September 2nd, 2020, 7:33 am

GrahamPlatt wrote:Just in case there are any more to be had from this year’s harvest...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -spicy-dal.

Bloody hell, that's too much courgette work. Peel, bake, slice, singe, soak, spiral-cut, put in the oven and do it all over again. Wasn't it Shirley Conran who said (in 1975) that life was too short to stuff a mushroom? Well, the same goes for courgettes. And I speak as someone who grows them.

Billions of the things. Usually from four plants. If you've got enough plants to produce enough at the beginning and end of the season, you're going to be swamped to desperation in mid-season. The monstrous plant in the Little Shop of Horrors had nothing on ours. Small children, cats and puppy dogs have wandered into our veg patch and never been seen again.

The courgettes I want go into my famous five minute casseroles, of which I make quite a lot. The rest go on the compost heap, unless I can give them away - and they can make awkward gifts, being (ahem) slightly phallic. :) A few get barbecued. If there's a way of freezing courgettes, maybe I'd be interested in keeping a few. But honestly, if you're spending more than three minutes preparing these things, then Ms Conran's advice still stands. Me, I've got better things to do.

BJ

Dod101
Lemon Half
Posts: 6570
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 1504 times
Been thanked: 2641 times

Re: Simsqu Proved Correct

#337536

Postby Dod101 » September 2nd, 2020, 7:45 am

Actually I am sure we used to freeze them in my last house where I had a large vegetable garden, and as BG has said, from four plants (if you have the space) you will enough courgettes to last all winter. I quite like them and even eat them raw. They are not much work to prepare as the flesh is firm but easy to cut and there is no need to peel them.

But who/what is Simsqu?

Dod

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Slice
Posts: 349
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:40 am
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: Simsqu Proved Correct

#337539

Postby GrahamPlatt » September 2nd, 2020, 8:04 am

Dod101 wrote:
But who/what is Simsqu?

Dod


One of the members here (vide supra), who has, shall we say an aversion to courgettes. His personal profile back on TMF had a hilarious diatribe against them.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4168
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:51 pm
Has thanked: 1924 times
Been thanked: 2190 times

Re: Simsqu Proved Correct

#337576

Postby Snorvey » September 2nd, 2020, 10:14 am

But who/what is Simsqu?

A man whose crowning achievement was to attain the second highest recced non charity post on ye olde Motley Fool.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4518
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 1213 times
Been thanked: 1219 times

Re: Simsqu Proved Correct

#337577

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 2nd, 2020, 10:18 am

What was Number One ? I forget...


Return to “Beerpig's Snug”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests