Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Good Cheer

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Good Cheer

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 3rd, 2020, 3:25 pm

Perhaps we need a thread here for happy observations?

Went to Lidl this morning, got the things I've been running short of. Lidl is one of a minority of shops here that's still running normally. It was quite busy, but not unpleasantly so.

Chap on the checkout was particularly cheerful. Apparently it's been a lot nicer since lockdown: no grumpy complaining customers, lots of good cheer, makes his job more pleasant than usual. What a splendidly positive attitude!

oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Re: Good Cheer

Postby oldapple » April 3rd, 2020, 10:33 pm

Noticed the same positive cheer today too in my local town. No-one mentioned the unmentionable. I heard someone call my name - an ex-pupil who recognised me from 15 years ago (and he's a stunner now) - well it cheered me up! Heard today on TV that people are trying to be positive on social media too. On the home front my son, who is now working from home, has discovered the ironing board makes a very useful, height adjustable table for his laptop. He's also discovered that the bird table he never before showed any interest in is busy all day ...

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 3rd, 2020, 10:42 pm

Fresher air. Less traffic on the A4 (which is too close)
Had first 'long' conversation with upstairs neighbors today - we have always got on OK but nice to go beyond the 'nice weather' 'which bin is it tomorrow' sort of stuff.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 3rd, 2020, 10:43 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Fresher air. Less traffic on the A4 (which is too close)
Had first 'long' conversation with upstairs neighbors today - we have always got on OK but nice to go beyond the 'nice weather' 'which bin is it tomorrow' sort of stuff.

possibly a bit more community spirit..every cloud

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » April 3rd, 2020, 11:18 pm

I noticed penym's name on the donations line. How are you, it seems ages since I've seen a post from you, so glad you're still posting. As far as I'm concerned that definitely constitues "good cheer" :D

R6

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » April 4th, 2020, 12:15 am

Rhyd6 wrote:I noticed penym's name on the donations line. How are you, it seems ages since I've seen a post from you, so glad you're still posting. As far as I'm concerned that definitely constitues "good cheer" :D

Last heard of "stuck" in St Lucia. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22104
Sound like hell ;)
Hope you're ok penym.

Gryff

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: You're all grumps

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 21st, 2020, 12:38 pm

I posted this thread on April 3rd. Just look how quickly it petered out: noone here has anything cheerful to say.

And today (unlike then) I have nothing cheerful to add. Bah, Humbug!

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 21st, 2020, 4:04 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I posted this thread on April 3rd. Just look how quickly it petered out: noone here has anything cheerful to say.

Well the rain seems to have stopped, and there's a glimmer of sunshine, so its time for a walk. And if it rains, I promise not to come back here and complain.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » August 21st, 2020, 4:11 pm

scotia wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:I posted this thread on April 3rd. Just look how quickly it petered out: noone here has anything cheerful to say.

Well the rain seems to have stopped, and there's a glimmer of sunshine, so its time for a walk. And if it rains, I promise not to come back here and complain.

Well, we are hosting our first concert of the year today. Normally we would have held eight by now, but covid-19 hobbled us for several months. But this evening we are back on the go. That is something to smile about.

regards, dspp

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 21st, 2020, 4:36 pm

dspp wrote:
scotia wrote:

Well, we are hosting our first concert of the year today. Normally we would have held eight by now, but covid-19 hobbled us for several months. But this evening we are back on the go. That is something to smile about.

regards, dspp

Oooh, congratulations. Is this an outdoor event? Do you perform, organise, help out, or just sit back and enjoy?

We've just had a lot of cancellations since March. And it should've been a really big and exciting season in Plymouth with the Mayflower 400 celebrations: among other things, I was due to sing in two newly-commissioned works.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 21st, 2020, 5:30 pm

I was living in Plymouth when they had a big celebration for something similar - I doubt it was Mayflower 300...
Being Plymouth i'm guessing it involved the Armada or Drake , if not Mayflower (I was there 85-89)
Edit: must have been Armada 400

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » August 21st, 2020, 5:58 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
dspp wrote:
scotia wrote:Well the rain seems to have stopped, and there's a glimmer of sunshine, so its time for a walk. And if it rains, I promise not to come back here and complain.

regards, dspp

Oooh, congratulations. Is this an outdoor event? Do you perform, organise, help out, or just sit back and enjoy?

We've just had a lot of cancellations since March. And it should've been a really big and exciting season in Plymouth with the Mayflower 400 celebrations: among other things, I was due to sing in two newly-commissioned works.

Indoors. I organise & host them with my GF. And we enjoy. We have figured that we can run at max about 50% capacity, but our rather unique financial model means we can do this without raising ticket prices. So we are still at £15ea, unlike an outdoor concert I saw nearby that was trying to stiff everybody for £200ea.

regards, dspp

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 24th, 2020, 2:18 pm

dspp wrote:

UPDATE: Sorry dspp - just seen your response already!

wow! that's great dspp! what did you do (music wise) and how did you "do" it eg num,bers, outdoors presuymably, SD for the watchers in which manner?

Really uinteretwed.

On saturday a bunch of us that I last performed with over a year ago (Spamalot) got together ina VERY large grass area and did some singing together for the sake of it, but we've no plans for any performances as the goalposts seem to move constantly.

Very pleased for you :-)

didds

PS I have done a online collaboration of Trial By Jury (G&S) that is due for release soon but its niot a live performance, mnore like making a film.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » August 24th, 2020, 3:37 pm

didds wrote:
dspp wrote:

UPDATE: Sorry dspp - just seen your response already!

wow! that's great dspp! what did you do (music wise) and how did you "do" it eg num,bers, outdoors presuymably, SD for the watchers in which manner?

Really uinteretwed.

On saturday a bunch of us that I last performed with over a year ago (Spamalot) got together ina VERY large grass area and did some singing together for the sake of it, but we've no plans for any performances as the goalposts seem to move constantly.

Very pleased for you :-)

didds

PS I have done a online collaboration of Trial By Jury (G&S) that is due for release soon but its niot a live performance, mnore like making a film.

Classical and/or jazz primarily, though occasionally other things.

We are a small venue - the GF's pile is quite large, but not that large. Ordinarily our max capacity is 40 guests + musicians + 'staff', indoors. We figured that we could safely accomodate max 24 guests with the cv19 regulations and we ran two concerts this weekend. The first was less than 10, and the second about 18, and I don't think we will want to push it to 24 in a hurry. One of the problems is that some of the grand pianos get in the way and there is nowhere else to put them except into the corner, which blocks some of the sight lines for the audience.

Overall it went well. Jazz on this occasion. Indoors. And we made enough that the musicians will take a normal amount, as it was the venue's 'take' that we have compressed. The music was good as well of course.

regards, dspp

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”