Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to scotview,uspaul666,WrongLicence388,CryptoPlankton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Fancy not knowing that

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Rhyd6
Lemon Slice
Posts: 810
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:01 pm
Has thanked: 812 times
Been thanked: 504 times

Fancy not knowing that

#337617

Postby Rhyd6 » September 2nd, 2020, 12:14 pm

I posed this question in last night's quiz "Four and twenty virgins came down from Inverness" - where were they going. Only 4 of the 16 teams were able to answer correctly. 2 of those teams were doctors, 1 accountant and 1 retired RAF. Are you able to answer without using Google?
I had several amusing emails this morning from people who'd Googled the answer after they'd submitted their sheets, one chap said he'd had his horizons expanded considerably!!

R6
Those of a nervous disposition please do not search for the song as you may be offended.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4233
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:51 pm
Has thanked: 1963 times
Been thanked: 2266 times

Re: Fancy not knowing that

#337651

Postby Snorvey » September 2nd, 2020, 1:42 pm

'Virgins in Inverness'.

Good one.

mc2fool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2265
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:24 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 672 times

Re: Fancy not knowing that

#337661

Postby mc2fool » September 2nd, 2020, 2:00 pm

I can give two answers, as the song is known as "The Ball of <one-of-two-different-place-names>" (although only one seems to be a real place). Hopefully you accepted either....

It's terrible English though! Four and twenty virgins came down from Inverness / When the ball was over, there were four and twenty less. :!:

Ugh! Should be: Four and twenty virgins came up to <the-real-place> / When the ball was over, there were four and twenty fewer.

:D

redsturgeon
Lemon Half
Posts: 6389
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:06 am
Has thanked: 634 times
Been thanked: 1355 times

Re: Fancy not knowing that

#337663

Postby redsturgeon » September 2nd, 2020, 2:03 pm

I would have known if the clue is in the title (of which I know only one)

John

Edit: Googling for the alternative title gives a slightly controversial answer! :D

John

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half
Posts: 5345
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 189 times

Re: Fancy not knowing that

#337678

Postby ursaminortaur » September 2nd, 2020, 3:01 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I would have known if the clue is in the title (of which I know only one)

John

Edit: Googling for the alternative title gives a slightly controversial answer! :D

John


Well according to the Suffolk Gazette, in this story by Crime correspondant Hugh Dunnett, they came down to Ipswich and were arrested

https://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/four-and-twenty-virgins/

Four and twenty virgins who came down from Inverness have been arrested for fighting and outraging public decency.

The rowdy women told cops they were desperate to get a man before Saturday night, or they’d never have one at all.

But as they roamed Ipswich town centre bars trying to attract the attentions of rugby players and other handsome men, it all kicked off with jealous local girls.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half
Posts: 5575
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 721 times
Been thanked: 1165 times

Re: Fancy not knowing that

#337689

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 2nd, 2020, 3:55 pm

So what does that tell us about the men in their home country? Snorvey and his ilk not up to the job!

tjh290633
Lemon Half
Posts: 5255
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:20 am
Has thanked: 443 times
Been thanked: 2095 times

Re: Fancy not knowing that

#337692

Postby tjh290633 » September 2nd, 2020, 4:07 pm

I remember the song and the title, which was "The Ball at K---------r".

Not surprised if an RAF man knew it. He had probably been to RAF Dalcross, when it was an AFTS.

TJH

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4680
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 1268 times
Been thanked: 1279 times

Re: Fancy not knowing that

#337695

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 2nd, 2020, 4:23 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:
Well according to the Suffolk Gazette, in this story by Crime correspondant Hugh Dunnett, they came down to Ipswich and were arrested

https://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/four-and-twenty-virgins/

Four and twenty virgins who came down from Inverness have been arrested for fighting and outraging public decency.

The rowdy women told cops they were desperate to get a man before Saturday night, or they’d never have one at all.

But as they roamed Ipswich town centre bars trying to attract the attentions of rugby players and other handsome men, it all kicked off with jealous local girls.


if it was Ipswich , they were more likely to have come down from Orfordness, so I can see why they were desperate
(and yes, I know it's a spoof story...)

servodude
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2220
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 5:56 am
Has thanked: 510 times
Been thanked: 559 times

Re: Fancy not knowing that

#337772

Postby servodude » September 2nd, 2020, 11:17 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:So what does that tell us about the men in their home country? Snorvey and his ilk not up to the job!


I was told that a long time ago the vikings decided to get rid of their less pulchritudinous female cohort by throwing them off ships in the North Sea
- the strong swimmers made it to Scotland ;)

-sd

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half
Posts: 5575
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 721 times
Been thanked: 1165 times

Re: Fancy not knowing that

#337773

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 2nd, 2020, 11:26 pm

servodude wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:So what does that tell us about the men in their home country? Snorvey and his ilk not up to the job!


I was told that a long time ago the vikings decided to get rid of their less pulchritudinous female cohort by throwing them off ships in the North Sea
- the strong swimmers made it to Scotland ;)

-sd

Eigi eru enn allir sítrónufíftrollar dauðir.

servodude
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2220
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 5:56 am
Has thanked: 510 times
Been thanked: 559 times

Re: Fancy not knowing that

#337775

Postby servodude » September 2nd, 2020, 11:35 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:So what does that tell us about the men in their home country? Snorvey and his ilk not up to the job!


I was told that a long time ago the vikings decided to get rid of their less pulchritudinous female cohort by throwing them off ships in the North Sea
- the strong swimmers made it to Scotland ;)

-sd

Eigi eru enn allir sítrónufíftrollar dauðir.


Har du tomtar på loftet?

Worked with an Icelandic professor while in Sweden but never got up there myself; can't imagine they have too many lemons

-sd

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4680
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 1268 times
Been thanked: 1279 times

Re: Fancy not knowing that

#337777

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 2nd, 2020, 11:38 pm

Lemon peppers ? WTF?

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half
Posts: 5575
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 721 times
Been thanked: 1165 times

Re: Fancy not knowing that

#337783

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 3rd, 2020, 1:17 am

servodude wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:
I was told that a long time ago the vikings decided to get rid of their less pulchritudinous female cohort by throwing them off ships in the North Sea
- the strong swimmers made it to Scotland ;)

-sd

Eigi eru enn allir sítrónufíftrollar dauðir.


Har du tomtar på loftet?
-sd

Ja, en. Han heter Debian, och håller sig hela natten på dist-upgrade.

servodude
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2220
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 5:56 am
Has thanked: 510 times
Been thanked: 559 times

Re: Fancy not knowing that

#337784

Postby servodude » September 3rd, 2020, 1:48 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Eigi eru enn allir sítrónufíftrollar dauðir.


Har du tomtar på loftet?
-sd

Ja, en. Han heter Debian, och håller sig hela natten på dist-upgrade.


Debian? hur snyggt! han låter verkligen som en tomte

- sd

stewamax
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1488
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 2:40 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: Fancy not knowing that

#337817

Postby stewamax » September 3rd, 2020, 9:02 am

Hmmm....
Ef TLF leyfir Islensku (næst tungumálinu við norræna Víkingamálið), af hverju leyfðu þá ekki ensku (EngilSaxnesku - móðurmál okkar)?

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2633
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 11:14 pm
Has thanked: 722 times
Been thanked: 719 times

Re: Fancy not knowing that

#337837

Postby GoSeigen » September 3rd, 2020, 9:46 am

mc2fool wrote:It's terrible English though! Four and twenty virgins came down from Inverness / When the ball was over, there were four and twenty less. :!:

Ugh! Should be: Four and twenty virgins came up to <the-real-place> / When the ball was over, there were four and twenty fewer.

:D

Shouldn't it be: "Four and twenty virgins came down to <the-real-place>" if they were coming down from Inverness? Though Inverness is on the coast so quite how you come down from there I'm not sure.

:)

GS


Return to “Beerpig's Snug”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dod101, johnhemming and 8 guests