Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

The Snooker on Sunday night?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

The Snooker on Sunday night?

Postby nimnarb » December 9th, 2020, 5:02 am

Anybody stay up late to watch? If so, we were in for a treat. Back to the old days of snooker. I mean its called snooker for a reason and not meant to have each frame done A La Ronnie in 5 minutes flat. Tension my word and didn't they both look totally gutted at the end of it. Brings me back to watching Taylor and Davis all those years ago and lovely also to see those boys still around commentating. 1985 I seem to recall, last black ball and ended about 2 am in the morning, anybody here saw that live as well? Regardless, those last 4 frames, I couldn't take my eyes off the table and as Trump said, it was so bad, it was so good.

Felt exhausted after that but very pleased to have been able to watch it.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: The Snooker on Sunday night?

Postby Dod101 » December 9th, 2020, 6:57 am

I was drawn to continue watching it as well although frankly I thought there was a time limit on how long they could take to play a single shot (or if not there ought to be) It was very tactical for most of the time which made a change from the usual slam, bang and its over. In this case the loser was obviously worn down by the events, probably both psychological and physical.

My usual test is the next day and I decide whether I feel any better for having sat up half the night watching it. The answer was no, a bit like reading a poor book which I have just finished.

Dod

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » December 9th, 2020, 9:07 am

The preceding several days snooker matches and semi-finals had been very entertaining, but unfortunately, the further the final progressed, the more boring it became, to me, particularly the last four frames, which I stayed up to watch, with quick checks on the F1 on catch up on the other channel. I normally like to watch Trump play, but both players seem to get bogged down in extended series of safety shots in those last few frames, and Robertson then seemed to take forever (1 - 2 minutes) pacing around the table, undecided before taking his shots.

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Postby Beerpig » December 9th, 2020, 2:05 pm

Yes, I remember it too because it cost me £40.
I was at law college and had a double on the 2000 guineas winner and Steve Davis who in those days was a standing dish to win everything (although Joe Johnson beat him in the final the next year I think).
I remember Davis was white as a sheet when he lost because he never expected to although he was more gracious and congratulatory the following year when Johnson beat him by several frames.
£40 was a lot of money for a student- it is a lot of money now - but it hurt me more than Davis I can tell you.

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Postby Beerpig » December 9th, 2020, 2:24 pm

I meant to add it cost m e £40 because that's what I would have won if Davis had prevailed.
My stake for the double was about £2.50

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”