Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

What is it with the French?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

What is it with the French?

Postby scrumpyjack » November 16th, 2020, 6:54 pm

They invade and conquer us in 1066 and all that, installing their nobles everywhere. They set up the Ius Prima Nocte so their nobles have free rein to scr?w English girls.

We got a bit of payback at Agincourt, but then that was french nobles invading france, but using English peasants to do it.

Then Napoleon roams around Europe trying to conquer everyone else, until stopped by Nelson and Wellington.

Then when Germany does to them what they had done to Germany under Napoleon, we, twice, with the dear Yanks, bail them out.

Having refused to let us in the EU under de Gaulle, when we eventually join under that ninny Heath, they screw us again at every turn.

Finally when we have the de gaul to leave the EU, they again try to screw us again permanently and take our fish.

And yet we still talk about the Entente Cordiale and let them put an ‘e’ on Concord.

Are we complete suckers or just too nice?
:shock:

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: What is it with the French?

Postby XFool » November 16th, 2020, 7:00 pm

Perhaps this offers an explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dy-VhtGcXw

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » November 16th, 2020, 7:17 pm

Successive Kings of England had very good title to ownership of provinces of France (Normandy, Ponthieu, Anjou, Aquitaine etc), but the Kings of France managed to strip them of their rights on numerous occasions. Hence the need to go over there and win them back at Crecy, Poitiers, Agincourt etc.

However, it is perhaps a sobering thought that had Henry VI not lost all of his French possessions in the mid Fifteenth century, it is highly likely that English would never have arisen as our language, and we would now be condemned to speaking French.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 16th, 2020, 7:21 pm

The French did not conquer England in 1066. The Normans did. Scandinavian settlers who had already beat the sh*t out of the French/Franks, started to adopt a Norman-French language, then Anglo-Norman, and had very close links to powerful English families. The French were terrified of the Normans, not least because they were great buddies with the Pope in Rome. Why on earth, with the British reputation for ferocity against Vikings, do you think the Norman takeover proceed so smoothly? Why did they have such respect for English literature? Because it had roots going back to their own.

The whole nationalistic fervour created these days has its roots in the realisation by the rich elite who live abroad anyway, that it's quite easy to control ignorant plebs with tabloid-style headlines. 8-)

Steve

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 16th, 2020, 7:31 pm

Al Bundy, the misanthropic character in long-running US sitcom "Married with Children" expressed this best, I always think:

"It's just wrong to be French".

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » November 17th, 2020, 7:22 pm

Let it not be forgotten that we still use Norman French. It is language of heraldry but it is also used routinely at the bar of the House of Commons by the Clerk of the Parliaments when announcing Royal Assent to Parliamentary Bills: ‘La Reyne le veult’, ‘La Reyne remercie ses bons sujets, accepte leur benevolence, et ainsi le veult’ and ‘Soit fait comme il est désiré’ for public and private members Bills, supply Bills and personal Bills respectively.

For some unaccountable reason Cromwell preferred English and tried to abolish the practice, but Norman French was resumed after the Restoration. In the early eighteenth century the House of Lords tried again to abolish Norman French in Parliament and in the Law Courts, but the House of Commons refused to pass this novel idea. The Law Courts moved to English in the 1730s (one could argue that legal principles were in Latin anyway) but Parliamentary usage was unaffected.

We continue with the practice in order that than Johnny Frenchman feels more at home when on a tourist visit to the Commons, but with secession from the EU it is high time we reverted to Anglo Saxon, with Old Norse permitted in Law Courts in the Danelaw.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 17th, 2020, 9:03 pm

stewamax wrote:........ but with secession from the EU it is high time we reverted to Anglo Saxon, with Old Norse permitted in Law Courts in the Danelaw.

Why stop there? Old English or Anglo Saxon was forced on the poor Brits by loads of drunken Danes and North Germans who came over to help us celebrate when the Romans left, but then decided to stay.

Let's revert to the original British language

I can handle a bit of the Welsh. Are you okay with Cornish? ;)

Steve

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » November 17th, 2020, 9:55 pm

stevensfo wrote:
stewamax wrote:........ but with secession from the EU it is high time we reverted to Anglo Saxon, with Old Norse permitted in Law Courts in the Danelaw.

Why stop there? Old English or Anglo Saxon was forced on the poor Brits by loads of drunken Danes and North Germans who came over to help us celebrate when the Romans left, but then decided to stay.

Steve

Can I just point out that there is no evidence of the language spoken by the Britons in what is now England before the Romans arrived, nor for that matter what their ethnic group was. There are virtually no definitely Welsh/Cornish words or place names in England, except in Cornwall and near the Welsh border, which is strange unless it is assumed that ancient Britons living in what is now England, didn't actually speak Welsh/Cornish.

The idea that they somehow spoke proto-Welsh is just part of the pan Celtic-fringe victimhood myth. Julius Caesar regarded those he encountered in southern England as being related to the Belgae, a near Germanic tribe of northern Europe, and it is entirely possible that they spoke a sort of Proto English, not much different from the language spoken by the new invading royal princes from Denmark and Frisia, who arrived after the Romans left.

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Postby Sorcery » November 17th, 2020, 10:01 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

Steve

Can I just point out that there is no evidence of the language spoken by the Britons in what is now England before the Romans arrived, nor for that matter what their ethnic group was. There are virtually no definitely Welsh/Cornish words or place names in England, except in Cornwall and near the Welsh border, which is strange unless it is assumed that ancient Britons living in what is now England, didn't actually speak Welsh/Cornish.

The idea that they somehow spoke proto-Welsh is just part of the pan Celtic-fringe victimhood myth. Julius Caesar regarded those he encountered in southern England as being related to the Belgae, a near Germanic tribe of northern Europe, and it is entirely possible that they spoke a sort of Proto English, not much different from the language spoken by the new invading royal princes from Denmark and Frisia, who arrived after the Romans left.

I can imagine the remaining (!) celto romans spoke latin for their sins. Thank god we changed the language. I still have nightmares about enforced latin classes. :)

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » November 17th, 2020, 10:11 pm

Sorcery wrote:I can imagine the remaining (!) celto romans spoke latin for their sins. Thank god we changed the language. I still have nightmares about enforced latin classes. :)

Indeed. I went to a school where the school song (do they have such things nowadays?) was in Latin, but three quarters of the pupils did not study Latin. God knows what they made of it.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 17th, 2020, 10:43 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Are we complete suckers or just too nice?

Nope.

You forgot one of the biggest ones of all: they (specifically Lafayette) booted us out of our second-best colony and installed a local warlord as President.
Look where that led!

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » November 17th, 2020, 10:49 pm

I don't have access to the article but the headline says a lot.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 0IFZEHZYlg

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 17th, 2020, 11:24 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:Can I just point out that there is no evidence of the language spoken by the Britons in what is now England before the Romans arrived, nor for that matter what their ethnic group was. There are virtually no definitely Welsh/Cornish words or place names in England, except in Cornwall and near the Welsh border, which is strange unless it is assumed that ancient Britons living in what is now England, didn't actually speak Welsh/Cornish.

When I went to School we had "Wales & Monmouthshire" and the border was shown as being down in the valleys. I crossed Offa's Dyke on my way to and from school each day. There were places with Welsh and English names either side of the border, which had obviously been very diffuse. I can think of Llangrove in Herefordshire, for example. How did St. Briavels get its name?

Local dialects use what are recognisably Welsh words, like cwch, and "Wenglish" phrasing can often be found.

Don't forget that the border has been moved.

TJH

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » November 17th, 2020, 11:27 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:Julius Caesar regarded those he encountered in southern England as being related to the Belgae, a near Germanic tribe of northern Europe, and it is entirely possible that they spoke a sort of Proto English, not much different from the language spoken by the new invading royal princes from Denmark and Frisia, who arrived after the Romans left.

Ah yes, but the SE tribes the Romans encountered were themselves fairly recent arrivals in our fair isle. Coming over here with their new fangled chariots.

Gryff

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 17th, 2020, 11:29 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:Are we complete suckers or just too nice?

Nope.

You forgot one of the biggest ones of all: they (specifically Lafayette) booted us out of our second-best colony and installed a local warlord as President.
Look where that led!

Lin-Manuel Miranda? ;)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 18th, 2020, 10:18 am

Nimrod103 wrote:Indeed. I went to a school where the school song (do they have such things nowadays?) was in Latin, but three quarters of the pupils did not study Latin. God knows what they made of it.

a bit like the Catholic masses (see what I did there) for hundreds of years.

When in Germany back in the late 80s a Scottish Catholic chum I worked with had his nan and mum visit. They went to mass of course, alebit naturally in the German language. Afterwards his nan said it was lovely, just like the old days as she hadn't understood a word of it!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 18th, 2020, 10:19 am

Nimrod103 wrote:The idea that they somehow spoke proto-Welsh is just part of the pan Celtic-fringe victimhood myth. Julius Caesar regarded those he encountered in southern England as being related to the Belgae, a near Germanic tribe of northern Europe, and it is entirely possible that they spoke a sort of Proto English, not much different from the language spoken by the new invading royal princes from Denmark and Frisia, who arrived after the Romans left.

Every year - at least, in non-Covid times - Brittany plays host to a number of music and folklore festivals which attract participants from all over western Europe. The biggest of which is the Festival de Cornouaille at Quimper. Where my old folkie contacts used to say that the Welsh, Irish and Cornish speakers would discover a really very substantial language connection with the Basques of northern Spain.

Who, according to recent research, are genetically related to the Welsh! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_Basques).
Studies based on the Y chromosome genetically relate the Basques with the Celtic Welsh, and Irish;[12] Stephen Oppenheimer from the University of Oxford says that the current inhabitants of the British Isles have their origin in the Basque refuge during the last Ice age. Oppenheimer reached this conclusion through the study of correspondences in the frequencies of genetic markers between various European regions.[13][14][15][16]

There's a bit of disagreement about how far back this goes, but AIUI the genetic traits that bind these people are essentially neanderthal. Worth remembering also that it was only 8,000 years ago that you could walk from Spain to Scotland. Having packed your thermal underwear, obviously. Fascinating stuff.

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 18th, 2020, 11:21 am

didds wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:Indeed. I went to a school where the school song (do they have such things nowadays?) was in Latin, but three quarters of the pupils did not study Latin. God knows what they made of it.

a bit like the Catholic masses (see what I did there) for hundreds of years.

When in Germany back in the late 80s a Scottish Catholic chum I worked with had his nan and mum visit. They went to mass of course, alebit naturally in the German language. Afterwards his nan said it was lovely, just like the old days as she hadn't understood a word of it!

I daresay if you're a practicing catholic you at least rote-learn those particular passages of Latin through regular exposure.

I learned a lot of liturgical latin that way. Not as a god-botherer, but as a choral singer, with a lot of masses and other latin texts in the regular repertoire.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 18th, 2020, 11:28 am

My Latin is very rusty but it was interesting to hear it spoken on Netflix. In the Barbarians series the Roman soldiers speak Latin and subtitles are shown. It is a German production.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 18th, 2020, 11:29 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:I daresay if you're a practicing catholic you at least rote-learn those particular passages of Latin through regular exposure.

well - you can learn a lot of noises for sure.

It doesn't mean you actually understand them.

Like decades ago some chums were off to Germany - so one of them's brother taught him how to order beer in a german bar.

"Das Wetter ist heute windig".

Chum learned this by rote and churned it out in the firtst bar they went to. It didnt get them a beer shall i say, but did get them a smile and an enquiring look.

didds

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”