Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Diego Maradona RIP

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
biffinsbridge
Lemon Pip

Diego Maradona RIP

Postby biffinsbridge » November 25th, 2020, 6:13 pm

Fab player but also a cheat dies age 60. Possibly the best player ever.
Stay safe Dickie.

zico
Lemon Quarter

Re: Diego Maradona RIP

Postby zico » November 25th, 2020, 7:19 pm

I was sad when I heard the news.
He was the most exciting player I've ever seen and that over-used sporting cliche "a legend in his own lifetime". First saw him as a barrel-chested teenager in a friendly against England and although he looked the wrong shape for a footballer, it was obvious he was something special with his skills. His first World Cup final appearance ending in a typical sending-off against Brazil for getting involved in one of the running battles that were developing all across the pitch. In 1986 World Cup finals, his famous 2nd goal against England wasn't even his best in that world cup, just watch his goal against Belgium in the semi-finals, where he runs through 4 defenders before scoring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E9qCaoEgl8

He certainly behaved badly on many occasions, but seemed to mainly harm himself rather than others. He came from a tough background and always gave the impression of just having a brilliant time playing football and being able to do whatever he wanted. He was handed the job of Argentina's manager, which went as badly as you'd expect, given his character and temperament. Even in the 2018 Russia world cup, he was up in the FIFA VIP box cheering on Argentina and happily making obscene gestures to the opposition fans. He obviously loved football, and did typically Maradona-ish things such as managing a 3rd division Mexican club for a while.

I'd put him up there with Muhammad Ali as one of the greatest sports personalities ever.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » November 25th, 2020, 10:20 pm

A player who had such potency he could transform an average team to achieve way above their expected potential. Napoli twice, Argentina.
Like him or not, he was spectacular. Maradona number 1 for me.

biffinsbridge
Lemon Pip

Postby biffinsbridge » November 26th, 2020, 3:40 pm

It is 15 years since the best ever player died he was George Best
Stay safe Cickie.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”