Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

time travel and covid

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
didds
Lemon Half

time travel and covid

Postby didds » November 25th, 2020, 3:00 pm

IF time travel were possible with interaction with other humans in the "time" one is in (CF Doctor Who) if the time traveller had covid, could they not pass it onto the people they meet?

(and thence onto the grandfather paradox)

didds

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: time travel and covid

Postby scrumpyjack » November 25th, 2020, 3:11 pm

didds wrote:IF time travel were possible with interaction with other humans in the "time" one is in (CF Doctor Who) if the time traveller had covid, could they not pass it onto the people they meet?

didds

The time traveller should take copious supplies of the vaccine back and then we would not have the pandemic to start with?

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » November 25th, 2020, 3:18 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:
didds wrote:IF time travel were possible with interaction with other humans in the "time" one is in (CF Doctor Who) if the time traveller had covid, could they not pass it onto the people they meet?

didds

The time traveller should take copious supplies of the vaccine back and then we would not have the pandemic to start with?

Now you know how we've ended up with so many effective vaccines so quickly!

Watis

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 25th, 2020, 3:25 pm

If 'real' time travel were possible then we probably wouldn't be here, since some crazy alien would already have travelled back to see if they could stop the Big Bang...etc (Thanks, Douglas Adams!)

But perhaps it's possible to be an observer, or even to travel back along one's own time line without any chance of influencing the future.

I've travelled back along my time line on many occasions, but always come across the great barrier that cannot be breached. Mainly a thump on my back and "Stop snoring!"

Nevertheless, my research continues.

Steve

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » November 25th, 2020, 3:28 pm

This thought has been covered multiple times.

Jack Cambel had a time agent discover that the Spanish flue was a genetically engineered illness deliberatly spread.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Borrowed-Time- ... 639&sr=8-1

Meanwhile Jody Taylor's historians have to be very careful not to change history as history doesn't like it and usually kills them to prevent it happening. They routinely wind up being treated for all sorts of things from parisites to poisoning.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=jody+taylo ... s-a-p_1_11

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 25th, 2020, 3:30 pm

stevensfo wrote:

It's a topic that will no doubt flex our minds forever, and that includes the very brightest among us...

Physicist Stephen Hawking, who died March 14 at age 76, will be remembered primarily for his pioneering work in studying black holes and describing the origin of the universe.

But he should also be remembered for hosting one of the most pitiful parties of all time...

On June 28, 2009, Hawking threw a party for time travelers. The next day, he sent out the invitations...

"Copies of it will survive in one form or another for many thousands of years," Hawking later said in the documentary "Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking."

"Maybe one day, someone living in the future will find the information and use a wormhole time machine to come back to my party, proving that time travel will, one day, be possible," he said.

Nobody attended Hawking's party....

https://www.livescience.com/62562-stephen-hawking-interment-time-travelers.html

I bet a couple of time-travellers did attend - it's just that they had their invisibility suits on so they wouldn't cause too much hassle!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » November 25th, 2020, 3:33 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:The time traveller should take copious supplies of the vaccine back and then we would not have the pandemic to start with?

But with no pandemic, there'd probably be no vaccine to take back...

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 25th, 2020, 3:48 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:This thought has been covered multiple times.

Jack Cambel had a time agent discover that the Spanish flue was a genetically engineered illness deliberatly spread.

And, of course, the Terry Gilliam film with Bruce Willis: '12 Monkeys'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Monkeys

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 25th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:This thought has been covered multiple times.

It was only called the Spanish Flu because Spain was not involved in WWI and not subject to the propaganda laws of other countries that limited the information that citizens could hear. So people first heard about the influenza catastrophe from Spain. The horror of that influenza virus was due to denial of countries to admit the disease, but most of all to the fact that antibiotics hadn't yet been discovered!!! Most people would have died from secondary pulmonary bacterial infection.

Steve

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » November 26th, 2020, 12:49 pm

It's a rather silly question.

If you have covid you have to isolate. I didn't time travel for two weeks when I had covid. Although 15 days later I came back with my negative test just to reassure myself that I was going to be OK

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » November 27th, 2020, 11:10 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

It's a topic that will no doubt flex our minds forever, and that includes the very brightest among us...

Physicist Stephen Hawking, who died March 14 at age 76, will be remembered primarily for his pioneering work in studying black holes and describing the origin of the universe.

But he should also be remembered for hosting one of the most pitiful parties of all time...

On June 28, 2009, Hawking threw a party for time travelers. The next day, he sent out the invitations...

"Copies of it will survive in one form or another for many thousands of years," Hawking later said in the documentary "Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking."

"Maybe one day, someone living in the future will find the information and use a wormhole time machine to come back to my party, proving that time travel will, one day, be possible," he said.

Nobody attended Hawking's party....

https://www.livescience.com/62562-stephen-hawking-interment-time-travelers.html

I bet a couple of time-travellers did attend - it's just that they had their invisibility suits on so they wouldn't cause too much hassle!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

One explanation would be that the moment the time travellers travelled back to Hawking's party the universe split since the true interpretation of quantum theory is the many worlds interpretation. Unfortunately you, me and the Stephen Hawking who died in March 2018 are in the original universe so were unaware of the time travellers who attended the party in the other universe(s). The same would then apply to time travellers carrying diseases into the past - they might well cause pandemics in other universes but not in the universe they started out from.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 27th, 2020, 5:39 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:One explanation would be that the moment the time travellers travelled back to Hawking's party the universe split since the true interpretation of quantum theory is the many worlds interpretation.

So, perhaps all the explanations are correct? Each in their own universe.

A kind of Win, Win, Win.... Recurring

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”