Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Phones in Pubs

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: Phones in Pubs

Postby Clitheroekid » November 16th, 2016, 2:42 pm

brightncheerful wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:If I had my way they would be banned anyway but last night some stupid woman at the bar spent ten minutes sharing a loud "hilarious" video with her mate at full volume. have some people no manners! John

When it comes to manners, I wonder which is worse?

Saying a woman is stupid or eavesdropping on and timing the duration of someone's else viewing/conversation.

I would respectfully submit that the question is perverse, as it pre-supposes that the two activities mentioned are both examples of bad manners.

This is clearly not the case. It is perfectly acceptable to describe a woman (or any other gender for that matter) as `stupid' provided there is reasonable objective evidence for doing so.

Likewise, timing the duration of someone else's viewing/conversation may also be perfectly acceptable. In the example given it is entirely legitimate, as it helps to justify the appellation of `stupid' applied to said woman. Had she merely spent 10 seconds sharing the video, the appellation may well not have been justified.

I accordingly find for redsturgeon in this matter, and I direct that bnc pay a forfeit of such drink as redsturgeon may select from the well-stocked bar.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 16th, 2016, 2:46 pm

"Eavesdropping" implies intent - if I can hear the neighbours arguing whilst I'm going about my business that's their fault. If I stick a microphone against the wall or hide in their shrubbery, I'm an eavesdropper

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » November 16th, 2016, 3:16 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
I would respectfully submit …
I accordingly find for redsturgeon in this matter, and I direct that bnc pay a forfeit of such drink as redsturgeon may select from the well-stocked bar.

Either you are acting as advocate (submission) or judge (find/direct). One cannot have both at the same time.

Furthermore, while the policy of the court is to encourage compromise of disputes, any dispute would be between the parties, not the onlookers.

To put an end to this sorry affair, I have no objection to the suggested forfeit so that redsturgeon may select a drink from the well-stocked bar. Also at his behest, he has said i must try to give up short-lived passion or admiration for him so as a gesture of goodwill I shall do so.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 16th, 2016, 4:07 pm

brightncheerful wrote:
Clitheroekid wrote:
I would respectfully submit …

Either you are acting as advocate (submission) or judge (find/direct). One cannot have both at the same time.

Furthermore, while the policy of the court is to encourage compromise of disputes, any dispute would be between the parties, not the onlookers.

To put an end to this sorry affair, I have no objection to the suggested forfeit so that redsturgeon may select a drink from the well-stocked bar. Also at his behest, he has said i must try to give up short-lived passion or admiration for him so as a gesture of goodwill I shall do so.

Thank you, I will take a pint of the guest IPA straight from the cask. Hoping it's a nice bright and cheerful number and not too bitter

John

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 16th, 2016, 4:16 pm

Trebles all round!

ElectronicFur
2 Lemon pips

Postby ElectronicFur » November 17th, 2016, 11:01 pm

brightncheerful wrote:Either you are acting as advocate (submission) or judge (find/direct). One cannot have both at the same time.

Judge Dredd says you're wrong...

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”