Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Scotland to NI tunnel

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Markab01
Lemon Pip

Re: Scotland to NI tunnel

Postby Markab01 » February 17th, 2021, 3:53 pm

JohnB wrote:Cost of 4 laminated sheets to pin to the navigators position reminding them to keep to the right depth, under or over. £50. As you'd not want to build a stealth tunnel, their radar/sonar might work too.

As the laminated sheets would be an MOD project I think that you need at lease another couple of zeroes on the price :lol:

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » February 17th, 2021, 5:09 pm

dspp wrote:Remind me again about the large submerged black objects weighing several thousand tonnes which regularly transit these waters ..............

regards, dspp

Submarine draught is 10m. You leave spaces where submerged subs can pass under the floating* tunnels if necessary. Not that I am IN ANY WAY trying to suggest that I think this is remotely feasible, value for money, or will solve the issues that are being caused by the government having made a conscious decision to have an internal customs border.

DM

*they're tethered so floating isn't really the right word.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » February 17th, 2021, 6:12 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
dspp wrote:Remind me again about the large submerged black objects weighing several thousand tonnes which regularly transit these waters ..............

regards, dspp

Submarine draught is 10m. You leave spaces where submerged subs can pass under the floating* tunnels if necessary. Not that I am IN ANY WAY trying to suggest that I think this is remotely feasible, value for money, or will solve the issues that are being caused by the government having made a conscious decision to have an internal customs border.

DM

*they're tethered so floating isn't really the right word.

Just because one can squeeze a submarine through a tight slot (laterally & vertically) doesn't mean it is a good idea to create a situation where it is necessary to routinely do it.

Even then it would create a highly undesirable chokepoint, exactly what one is trying to avoid.

I too think this idea fits into the bonkers dead cat category, for all the usual reasons, thrown on the table so willingly by all the usual culprits.

regards, dspp

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » February 17th, 2021, 7:08 pm

bonkers dead cat category

File under:

I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute! And is there a way we can do something, by an injection inside or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that. So, that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me.

Has this site been taken over by influencers?

T7

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » February 17th, 2021, 7:12 pm

What's wrong with using the ferrys ?

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » February 17th, 2021, 7:12 pm

If we are being entirely honest this "Tunnel Under the Irish Sea" story is yet another smoke screen being sent up by Boris and co to distract from the horror of the "Border in the Irish Sea" that they claim doesn't exist.

Today's instalment in the serial cluster f*** that has been inflicted on those of us living here
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... 0000-trees.

And yes - This is beginning to annoy me...

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 17th, 2021, 7:30 pm

Moderator Message:
Another thread that would have been best on the Polite Discussions board, I'm afraid. As that option is no longer available, I think the best thing to do is to lock the thread to avoid it delving any deeper into Polite Discussions territory - Itsallaguess

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”