Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

A Shout Out

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers

Would you like to join in/consider this idea?

1. Yes
31%
2. No.
31%
3. Meh
15%
4. Other - please comment (thank you)
23%

Total votes: 13

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

A Shout Out

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 14th, 2021, 11:32 pm

It's a flip of the coin if I post here or on the Health & Well Being board. On balance I've opted for this board as I'm not entirely sure how many people read the other board. Again it could be a simple case of me over-thinking. If so please shift this post.

For the last three years, after getting a diagnosis of severe obstructive sleep apnea and feeling my problems were behind me, I've been dealing with other health issues and my weight has blossomed by 2 & 1/2 stone.

Top and bottom of it is I am genuinely hopeful that those problems are now correctly identified and I can move forward.

But ... I've put a little weight on. Not much :oops: . I could do to lose that weight. Which means more exercise, an improved diet and less alcohol.

Does anyone else want to join in a "team effort" to lose a little weight? It's sort of way of supporting one another (I think/hope)

I was hoping to lose about a stone this year and perhaps again the same next year.

AiY

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: A Shout Out

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 15th, 2021, 8:24 am

I've gone through life saying I'll make a natural Falstaff at age 60. This year I'll hit 60, and it seems my lack of Thespian talent isn't the only reason the dream will never happen. But I still don't think I should be throwing the Falstaffian physique away.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » February 15th, 2021, 8:53 am

I actually managed to lose a stone in the year up to the first lockdown. I had been diagnosed as 'pre diabetic' and I attended a course of advice on, basically, eating better, losing weight and excercising more. Since March last year I have put on about 4lbs and counting . . . and my excercise levels have gone down. So I would like to improve things. I am going to retire at the end of June and it's definately on my list to improve my fitness in particular, but also improve the diet again.

Sadly I am struggling with my sleep, and have been for about 3 years. I am very tired in the evenings and go straight to sleep when I go to bed, but wake up again about 2 or 3 O'clock and then can't get back to sleep. Sigh.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 15th, 2021, 10:11 am

Gersemi wrote:I actually managed to lose a stone in the year up to the first lockdown. I had been diagnosed as 'pre diabetic' and I attended a course of advice on, basically, eating better, losing weight and exercising more. Since March last year I have put on about 4lbs and counting . . . and my exercise levels have gone down. So I would like to improve things. I am going to retire at the end of June and it's definitely on my list to improve my fitness in particular, but also improve the diet again.

Sadly I am struggling with my sleep, and have been for about 3 years. I am very tired in the evenings and go straight to sleep when I go to bed, but wake up again about 2 or 3 O'clock and then can't get back to sleep. Sigh.

The lack of sleep will be impacting very severely on your health. If you haven't spoken to your GP about it I'd suggest you do.

I'll pick this thread up on the Health & Well Being Board. I'm no expert in sleep issues. However, having spent over forty years struggling with sleep onset and maintenance I'm vaguely aware of the symptoms that a lack of sleep can cause. I can't replace medical experts but would be more than happy to talk about anything that you feel will be beneficial to you.

Take care

AiY

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » February 15th, 2021, 10:15 am

Oh dear.
Fortunately I/we have no weight problem. We eat well, not like monks, we have a small slice of cake most days, a small square of (plain) chocolate of an evening, +/-two bottles of wine a week (between us).

Poor sleep, that can be very debilitating. I used to have that problem when I worked in the City, a stress thing. Excess fat around the neck can also be a contributing cause.

In terms of weight loss, exercise is not really a solution.
The topic of exercise is that refuge the middle class go to when confronted by someone overweight, a PC subject they can talk about, rather than gently tell people that they ... just.... need to east less.... booze less.... and eat better.

And then of course, there's money to be made from exercise classes gym membership gym kit rowing machines or is it cycling machines... but no money to be made from telling people they just need to ... eat less.
Not to say that exercise is necessarily a problem when one is overweight, although it can be if you come back from a run feeling ravenous.
Exercise improves muscle tone and lung capacity, which is good of course.

But the way forward is indeed as simple as eat less, booze less, eat better. Cook from ingredients, no takeaways no ready-to-cook. No need to count calories, no fancy diets, just eat less, cut down the sugar, throw out the deep fryer.

And don't eat your main meal late in the evening. Big breakfast, good lunch, small dinner. Food (and drink) taken late piles on the pounds.

And finally, don't try to lose too much too quickly. One has to fool the fat cells, because a crash diet will have them thinking there's a famine and they need to pile it back on asap.

All easy for me to say of course.

But there, I've said it. There is no charge for this life-changing advice.

Fingers crossed for you.

V8

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 15th, 2021, 10:17 am

I'll pass on the invitation to join in a group effort, AiY, because I've more or less done the weight-loss job these days. But all power to your elbow, and the very best of luck with it all.
Gersemi wrote:I actually managed to lose a stone in the year up to the first lockdown. I had been diagnosed as 'pre diabetic' and I attended a course of advice on, basically, eating better, losing weight and excercising more. Since March last year I have put on about 4lbs and counting . . . and my excercise levels have gone down.

Would that be the 'Healthier You' programme? I was told by my GP surgery to check it out about four years ago, and it looked really good for "social animals" - but I quickly realised that the competitive shame of group weigh-ins, zumba classes and advice about not eating takeaways really weren't for me, and that I would rather do the weight loss myself. Mainly through (very, very approximate) daily calorie counting. I lost 24 pounds in 18 months, of which only two pounds have crept back on in the intervening three years. I am still working on the other six pounds, but my doc is happy. :D

Ultimately, choosing the best route is a matter of self-knowledge. Some people find that the group dynamic is a better way forward. (BTW, the Healthier You scheme has gone 100% online now, so you get to keep more of your privacy.) For me, though, it was mostly down to identifying my weakest spots (cutting out beer, stop snacking on cheese and bread), and cooking just about all food from raw ingredients, the way I always have.

Do take a look, though, at the current theories about how a maximal diversity of gut bacteria can make the difference between fat and thin. And don't be persuaded that rapid weight loss (more than two pounds a week) is workable, because the weight rarely stays off. A gradual pound or two a month is much more likely to stick. So to speak. :lol:

BJ

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » February 15th, 2021, 11:32 am

bungeejumper wrote:I
Gersemi wrote:I actually managed to lose a stone in the year up to the first lockdown. I had been diagnosed as 'pre diabetic' and I attended a course of advice on, basically, eating better, losing weight and excercising more. Since March last year I have put on about 4lbs and counting . . . and my excercise levels have gone down.

Would that be the 'Healthier You' programme? I was told by my GP surgery to check it out about four years ago, and it looked really good for "social animals" - but I quickly realised that the competitive shame of group weigh-ins, zumba classes and advice about not eating takeaways really weren't for me, and that I would rather do the weight loss myself. Mainly through (very, very approximate) daily calorie counting. I lost 24 pounds in 18 months, of which only two pounds have crept back on in the intervening three years. I am still working on the other six pounds, but my doc is happy. :D

BJ

Yes, it was the 'Healthier You' programme. Although we were weighed at each session, the organiser didn't reveal our results to anyone else and we didn't do zumba classes! I did find the group chat about the challenges (full time jobs, temptation etc etc) helpful/encouraging, and as I say I did lose a stone in a year, which was good steady progress. I didn't even do anything terribly dramatic, just a bit of everything really, increased fruit & veg, thought about portion sizes, made sure I did a bit of exercise each day. At the end I was within normal weight range for my height (and I still am despite the extra four pounds) and a blood test showed I was out of the danger zone. Unfortunately the next year when I had a blood test the level was back to where I started and the NHS . . . invited me on the course again. Needless to say I haven't bothered. I know the problem is that I've slipped back a bit, under lockdown there is a temptation to treat yourself a bit. I've just polished off a cinemon swirl and throughly enjoyed it.

I'll post about the sleep issues on the Health & Wellbeing board as AiY suggests.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » February 19th, 2021, 9:42 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:.. the last three years, .... my weight has blossomed by 2 & 1/2 stone.

Not the place one would normally look for weight advice, but other perspectives here https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 916568&i=0 More exercise enthusiasm as it's about belly fat rather than overall weight, but there may be something that chimes with you.

I won't comment on what they say, I already posted what I think.

Whatever you decide to do, stick at it a while, see if it works, no wobbles.
If not, try something else for a while.
Give each strategy time to work, or not.

Do let us know how it goes.........

V8

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » February 19th, 2021, 6:45 pm

88V8 wrote:...other perspectives here https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 916568&i=0

Forgot to mention, I particularly noticed the chap who posted on the 14th about his crisp diet.
As a (former) lover of Cheese & Onion - banned by the OH - I could live with that.

V8

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 19th, 2021, 7:24 pm

Fasting is good. I believe that the human body gets patterned to eat at certain times by habit, such that the gastric juices get going at lunchtime etc. I've been fasting regularly for a couple of decades. However, I'm retired and probably wouldn't choose to fast on a working day, although it doesn't seem to affect my ability to perform exercise. Ketosis is a beneficial and natural state which few people experience because they eat 3 or more meals a day. Our human ancestors wouldn't have got far without having developed the ability to miss meals. I'd go as far as saying that fasting sharpens the mind and I suspect that is why all the world's major religions have traditions of fasting days.

Research has shown the benefit of therapeutic fasting for a variety of conditions including: diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, cardiovascular disease, dermatological ailments, gastrointestinal disorders, arthritis, allergies, mental illness and chemical poisoning.

https://www.naturemedicine.ca/therapeutic-fasting/

RC (Planning to eat later after 48 hours of fasting)

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 19th, 2021, 8:31 pm

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » February 19th, 2021, 8:53 pm

Anyone here tried certain breathing techniques? Its helped me with sleeping and to a certain extent weight control and when in hypertension mode or stress, certainly bringing ones heart rate down. Many articles on this just by googling and simply by sitting at the computer and holding your stomach in whilst breathing in and out can take off an inch or so around the belly button area if you do it right.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”