Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Reading lamp

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Reading lamp

Postby Leothebear » February 21st, 2021, 1:34 pm

I've never known such an enormous amount of marketing and advertising for a lamp. I dread to think of the amount of paper used for this purpose.
How, this rather ordinary looking lamp, will ever claw back the capital spent on its promotion, is beyond me. It's been going on for ages. Anyone here admit to buying one?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Reading lamp

Postby PinkDalek » February 21st, 2021, 1:43 pm

What Reading lamp advert?

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » February 21st, 2021, 3:41 pm

I haven't read about it.
Maybe the print was too small.

V8

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 21st, 2021, 3:50 pm

I imagine it may be Serious Readers. They produce the most amazing amount of advertising and I will admit to having bought one of their lamps on the strong recommendation of a good friend. I hasten to say that I would not buy another one. They are simply a well made bracket for holding and directing an LED bulb in the direction you would want it. They are though nothing that a much cheaper LED lamp cannot give you. The guy is a very good marketeer and must have an enormous profit margin from which the he will be able to allocate a big marketing budget. He appears to sell only direct to the customer and therefore has no middleman's mouth to feed.

Dod

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 21st, 2021, 3:56 pm

Well, I recently bought a (wall) light for reading in bed. The old wall light was great when I had no headboard, but now illuminates the big velvet headboard more than what I'm reading.

Never saw it advertised until I googled wall lights and chose from among the results. I wouldn't know where else to look - especially in these days of nonessential shops being closed.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 21st, 2021, 4:10 pm

People who read in bed must have a warmer bedroom than I have.

Dod

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 21st, 2021, 4:20 pm

I was going to buy one like that from IKEA , but the lockdown messed things up
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/cat/floor-lamps-10731/

I quite fancy a banker's lamp - I think they look cool...

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » February 21st, 2021, 4:45 pm

I got one for my disabled daughter because she was unable to tolerate artificial light. She was able to tolerate light from the Serious Readers light apparently because it is designed to produce light with the same frequencies as daylight. It isn't just a marketing scam but most people will not need it.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 21st, 2021, 5:06 pm

I had an incandescent 'daylight' bulb which was supposed to have a spectrum similar to natural light
I'm sure there must be LED equivalents available

(I'm guessing natural light varies depending on the position of the sun as a lot of the blue end gets lost in the atmosphere due to Rayleigh scattering)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 21st, 2021, 6:05 pm

I thought about getting a Serious Readers lamp, and then I saw the prices and I thought again. I also noticed that their less extortionate lamps tend to be LEDs rather than the halogens that feature predominantly in their publicity blurb, but they didn't seem to be making that obvious.

So I looked elsewhere, and I ended up with one of these, which is quite splendid. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Standing-Dimma ... B086MRM57D .It does five Kelvin colours in five shades of brightness, and it comes with a remote control, although the touch buttons on the lamp itself are perfectly good enough. The flexible goose-neck arrangement is really rather good. I use mine for painting and drawing as well as reading.

I bought my lamp two years ago, and I regret to say it was nearer thirty quid than the £52.79 that they're asking now. But I believe there are other Chinese manufacturers making the same item. Might be worth shopping around. Happy bunny, though.

BJ

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 21st, 2021, 6:23 pm

I'm not sure what the OP is referring to. People should be aware that not everyone sees the same adverts, so a bit more info might be useful.

The light I've seen advertised recently is a Dyson desklight that seems to track daylight, or something. A snip at 450 quid ... https://www.dyson.co.uk/lighting/task-l ... ite-silver

Scott.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 21st, 2021, 7:05 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:I got one for my disabled daughter because she was unable to tolerate artificial light. She was able to tolerate light from the Serious Readers light apparently because it is designed to produce light with the same frequencies as daylight. It isn't just a marketing scam but most people will not need it.

You can buy daylight bulbs for your normal lights around the house, including reading lights. They're a little less abundant than the regular "warm" or "cold", but any of the big online suppliers will offer some.

Be aware that in a house decorated for "warm" lights (e.g. anything from the incandescent era), it may come to look less than homely under other lighting.

Dod101 wrote:People who read in bed must have a warmer bedroom than I have.

The bedroom takes its temperature from the season, largely through an open north-facing window.

When the season ain't warm, the duvet is.

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » February 21st, 2021, 7:25 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:I got one for my disabled daughter because she was unable to tolerate artificial light. She was able to tolerate light from the Serious Readers light apparently because it is designed to produce light with the same frequencies as daylight. It isn't just a marketing scam but most people will not need it.

You can buy daylight bulbs for your normal lights around the house, including reading lights. They're a little less abundant than the regular "warm" or "cold", but any of the big online suppliers will offer some.

Be aware that in a house decorated for "warm" lights (e.g. anything from the incandescent era), it may come to look less than homely under other lighting.

Dod101 wrote:People who read in bed must have a warmer bedroom than I have.

The bedroom takes its temperature from the season, largely through an open north-facing window.

When the season ain't warm, the duvet is.

Some years ago, my wife had a problem with some artificial light. We bought a number of Androv full spectrum bulbs, and found them excellent. I see they are still available to buy online, and are quite a bit cheaper than they were when we bought them.

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » February 22nd, 2021, 10:03 am

If it's the lamp advertised for around £250 with the smaller version worth £150 thrown in, then that's exactly the kind of dishonesty I was condemning in the 'The passing of time - Cycle of life' thread'. Both values are clearly inflated and totally meaningless. I'm so sick of this kind of marketing.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » February 22nd, 2021, 10:23 am

These days I mostly read from a kindle paperwhite.

Except in bed, it's either illuminated by daylight or by a cheap (£8) Argos up lighting standard lamp with a LED bulb.
In bed of course it has it's own built in LED's. The Oasis can adjust the "temperature" of those if you want to spend that much.

No need to use a torch under the covers Dod.

Before the kindle existed I used something called a "lightwedge". This is a plastic light pipe that you place on the page. Side mounted LED's illuminate the page which is read through the plastic. Here is a link to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

https://thegadgetflow.com/portfolio/lig ... ing-light/

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”