Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

A deplorable photo

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

A deplorable photo

Postby terminal7 » March 1st, 2021, 1:09 pm

Gordon Elliott - top national hunt trainer in Ireland - sitting astride dead horse on sand gallops. Elliott is on a mobile and giving his customary sideways v sign. A PR disaster for Irish racing.

T7

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Re: A deplorable photo

Postby Beerpig » March 4th, 2021, 12:03 pm

HI Terminal
I totally agree.
It is a truly dreadful spectacle and shows the power of modern technology to capture the slipping of the mask.
The Irish Board decision will be announced tomorrow but I would be surprised if there is anything less than a year's ban from training and possibly three years. Mr Elliott and those associated with the incident have caused massive damage to the public perception of NH racing as a sport
There has been no support from anyone connected with racing in any quarter nor can there be.
Disgraceful.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 4th, 2021, 12:07 pm

terminal7 wrote:Gordon Elliott - top national hunt trainer in Ireland - sitting astride dead horse on sand gallops. Elliott is on a mobile and giving his customary sideways v sign. A PR disaster for Irish racing.

T7

It is right that he some feeble excuse, like he hadn't realised what he was doing?

How can you not realise you are sitting on a dead horse? That takes some power of concentration.

Arb.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » March 4th, 2021, 12:40 pm

I understand it's a bad thing. But - the horse didn't care; it was dead. There's no indication that a live horse was mistreated. Other farm animals have worse things happen to them than be sat on when they're dead. It was in poor taste, but I don't# see there was any more harm than that. It seems more a lesson in how social media can blow unimportant things up out of all proportion, while much more important issues get ignored.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » March 4th, 2021, 12:41 pm

The collateral damage to the image of horse racing is incalculable. PETA have had the National Hunt in its sites for a number of years and are already using this image (and now the video of the Irish amateur jock Rob James in a similar situation) as part of their campaign to ban racing.

The other side of the coin is the collateral damage to the large workforce that work for Elliott. However, many if not most should be able to get similar work as the horses are transferred to other stables. Indeed, owners often switch trainers. Indeed, Gigginstown switched a large number of horses several years ago from Willie Mullins to Elliott and others. Don't remember any blowback to the O'Learys at the time.

I have detected that after an initial avalanche of shock, horror and disbelief, the pendulum is swinging as several notable worthies are showing some concern for Elliott and highlighting his incredible rise through the ranks of trainers. Whether this is orchestrated I do not know, but his undoubted achievements and professional help to others deserve noting.

There are so many unanswered questions such as (i) who took the photo? (ii) who leaked the photo? (iii) was this part of an unpleasant culture at the yard when outside the public spotlight? etc.

If I was to hazard a speculation - as in many matters relating to someone trying to embarrass/bring down an eminent person - chercher la femme.

T7

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » March 4th, 2021, 1:10 pm

Midsmartin wrote:There's no indication that a live horse was mistreated.

Other than the horse being dead...

Social media may well focus on the sitting bit of the story, but it would be more informative, as you alluded to, to explain the presence of the dead horse, before reaching any judgement as to whether this was just poor PR or something a bit worse (from an animal welfare pov).

VRD

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » March 4th, 2021, 1:23 pm

FYI - Morgan (the name of the horse - owned by the O'Learys) had an aneurysm whilst having an exercise gallop.

T7

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 4th, 2021, 1:32 pm

Midsmartin wrote:I understand it's a bad thing. But - the horse didn't care; it was dead.

Perhaps in a sense a welcome relief.

Though only in the sense of an abused slave (as it was), rather than a sufferer from terminal cancer or other nasty end.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 4th, 2021, 1:54 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Midsmartin wrote:I understand it's a bad thing. But - the horse didn't care; it was dead.

Perhaps in a sense a welcome relief.

Though only in the sense of an abused slave (as it was), rather than a sufferer from terminal cancer or other nasty end.

It wasn't an abused slave, and such comments aren't useful.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 4th, 2021, 2:17 pm

Very poor taste.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » March 4th, 2021, 2:33 pm

monabri wrote:Very poor taste.

Yes, beef is better.

VRD
(Vegetarian, but couldn't resist...)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 4th, 2021, 2:38 pm

Well, it shocked me. Not out of concern for the horse, which is beyond caring, but because it shows such a lack of respect for an animal which has quite literally given up its life in the service of humans whose interest has been to push it to its physical limits in the pursuit of fame and money. It deserves better.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't "understand" horses. I don't bet, and without betting, a horse race is about as interesting as watching the traffic go by on a wet Tuesday. To me, horses have a leg at each corner and a head at one end. But there's a brain in that head, and a mind too, and this one deserved more respect than somebody striking an ironic pose and flicking a two fingered salute.

I suspect, though, that I am not in full empathy with horsey types. Many years ago, I had a friend who was devoted to her reasonably-good horse and was out riding several times a week. I saw her one day and asked how the horse was?

"Dead," she said. "I had it shot. Bugger damaged a leg, would have cost thousands to fix, and would have been no use for hunting even after that. Wasn't going to waste my money."

Not a tear, not a sign of regret. It was at that moment that I realised that horses are not cats or dogs. ;)

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 4th, 2021, 3:02 pm

bungeejumper wrote:"Dead," she said. "I had it shot. Bugger damaged a leg, would have cost thousands to fix, and would have been no use for hunting even after that. Wasn't going to waste my money."

Not a tear, not a sign of regret. It was at that moment that I realised that horses are not cats or dogs. ;)

'Twas ever thus with the worst of slave-owners.

I wonder how many take that kind of view. Perhaps all but a minority who, in another context, might be labelled Guardian Readers?

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 4th, 2021, 7:06 pm

The way I see it is that horses, like dogs, simply like, no love, running. It hardly seems like exploration to let a creature do what it loves.

I also see that in today's world the bad PR associated with a respected "horsey" individual sitting on a dead horse is damaging, but when it comes down to it the horse was for whatever reason unfortunately dead so its remains might have made for a useful place to sit.

Dead things are dead. Upsetting but people maybe should take another look at the nature of mortality.

C.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 4th, 2021, 7:35 pm

vrdiver wrote:

Yes, beef is better.

VRD

While we are being facetious, is it not fine for veggies to eat beef as the cows are vegetarian?

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » March 4th, 2021, 8:11 pm

Mike4 wrote:
vrdiver wrote:

Yes, beef is better.

VRD

While we are being facetious, is it not fine for veggies to eat beef as the cows are vegetarian?

Provided the grass is slug free. I hate slugs.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 4th, 2021, 8:18 pm

vrdiver wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
vrdiver wrote:Yes, beef is better.

VRD

Provided the grass is slug free. I hate slugs.

I've never tried one....

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 4th, 2021, 8:23 pm

vrdiver wrote:

Yes, beef is better.

VRD

Well, the best steak tartare is made with horse meat.

Steve

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » March 4th, 2021, 11:00 pm

I don’t have any skin in this game but here is my two penneth.

The photo of the trainer and the dead horse is clearly deplorable.

However, the trainer has an impeccable record of keeping his horses in the best conditions and treating them with the utmost respect. (Whilst alive anyway which I think counts most.)

If you are going to judge a man based on one photo, at one point in his life, and ignore everything that happened before and after that, you need to ask yourself if you’ve ever done anything wrong before.

Well have you?

HYD

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » March 4th, 2021, 11:11 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:If you are going to judge a man based on one photo, at one point in his life, and ignore everything that happened before and after that, you need to ask yourself if you’ve ever done anything wrong before.

I don't think the issue is whether or not he's done "one wrong thing" to a dead, and therefore uncaring, horse, but whether this reveals something deeper. Like you, I have no skin in the game, and probably also like you, I'm aware that "the press" can sensationalise a story to hell and back if they think it will be good for themselves, regardless of the underlying truth of the matter.

Question is, was this an irrelevant no-story-here photo, or was it an insight into an attitude towards the welfare of animals in his care; I don't mean welfare as in making them run fast, but in how he treats them for their own quality of life, regardless of their earning potential.

I suspect he will be thrown under a bus by his competitors and enemies, whilst friends will attempt to brush the story away. I doubt that we will get to the actual truth of the matter, which is a sad indictment of our press...

VRD

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”