Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

At what age does poo become serious

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers

Poo

1. 20 - 30 years old
4%
2. 31 - 40 years old
9%
3. 41 - 50 years old
No votes
4. 51 - 60 years old
4%
5. 61 - 70 years old
4%
6. 70 - 80 years old
9%
7. 80 - 90 years old
4%
8. I cannot believe you want to have a poll on poo
48%
9. This is the lowest you've ever been AiY
4%
10. Other ... please post and augment
13%

Total votes: 23

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

At what age does poo become serious

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 4th, 2021, 10:33 pm

I'm going to fess up. We've just had a very funny conversation about bowel habits with our 13 (nearly 14 year old daughter).

It struck me that when I was younger that discussing poo was funny. But as I've aged that same hilarious subject has become quite a lot more serious.

At what age do you think poo become serious

AiY

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: At what age does poo become serious

Postby 88V8 » April 4th, 2021, 10:56 pm

I was always more drawn to Piglet.

V8

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » April 4th, 2021, 11:33 pm

When you can’t find it. :shock:

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » April 5th, 2021, 12:06 am

At whatever age you lose control of the sphincter.

It could be earlier if you see blood in it.

Julian F. G. W.

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » April 5th, 2021, 7:08 am

Unsure if it concerns inability or too copious.
Remember travelling in my youth, with a large potboiler book, and the desperation of finishing a chapter before the pages had an alternative use.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » April 5th, 2021, 7:55 am

What an odd question. I voted other as there is a phrase, oft used when talking about adults "scatalogical humor".

I understand that the composer Motzart was famous for this.
https://www.thepiano.sg/piano/read/moza ... cal-humour

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » April 5th, 2021, 8:54 am

As a father and grandfather, I say the time when poo becomes serious, is when they first go on to solid food.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 5th, 2021, 9:26 am

I suppose all one to two year olds think poo is hilarious, and also quite exciting in an existential sort of way. But by the time you get to five, poo might be something you can snigger about in the playground but you wouldn't usually want to discuss it with your auntie or your teacher. At age 13, I suspect that poo would have come a close second to my emergent sex drive as topics I really wouldn't have wanted to laugh about with my parents. But then, I was brought up in the fifties, before Dr Spock, and I imagine things have changed a bit since social media?

Thus begins the "submerged fascination" phase, which might always resurface later in Rick and Vyvyan and Neil's student flat, but in the meantime you probably wouldn't want it known that you regarded poo as anything other than an inert daily chore of no importance whatsoever?

If it helps, I can tell you that later in life I dated quite a few student nurses, and their general hilarity about every bodily excretion was quite undimmed by the fact that they were dealing with it thirty times a day. :?

"A man does good business who rids himself of a turd." (Edward I - let's just brush over the context, shall we?)

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 5th, 2021, 9:50 am

I became fully inured to manure at the age of 18, when I had a summer job mowing the grass at the local sewage farm. The whiff of the processsed product is quite different to its raw equivalent, and not necessarily in a good way, but the situation did have its lighter moments.

One day, something blocked the macerator that fed the sludge into the huge primary tanks - probably somebody had chucked something particularly unmentionable down the sewer, such as a dead body. (That did happen from time to time. :( ) Anyway, the site manager summoned the services of an independent unblocker, who turned up one morning with a team of four assistants and a second-hand naval diving costume, complete with a big brass helmet that bolted on. And once his airline machine had been coaxed into action, he descended into the toxic mush to begin his work.

The sewermen, who had seen most things in their lives, stood around watching, and one of them asked how much this guy was getting paid? One hundred pounds an hour, they were told. (That's nearly £1,500 a hour in today's money.) They were immediately agreed that for £100 an hour they'd do the job without the diving suit. :lol:

BJ

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » April 5th, 2021, 10:00 am

bungeejumper wrote:...but in the meantime you probably wouldn't want it known that you regarded poo as anything other than an inert daily chore of no importance whatsoever?

I don't recall ever regarding it as of no importance whatsoever; on the contrary!

Julian F. G. W.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » April 5th, 2021, 2:14 pm

When it becomes a problem! The other alternative is never.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 5th, 2021, 2:44 pm

When it gets it's own show on Radio 4.

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » April 5th, 2021, 3:48 pm

Well my experience isn't covered because it occurred prior to 20, at around 7 or 8 ! I used to have a Saturday morning piano lesson, a fair walk from home. On more than one occasion the walk back home became a rather tense affair! Inevitably, on one Saturday i failed the test and arrived home in a bit of a mess. :-{{ I have never forgotten my mum's loving and patient response, in standing me in the bath and cleaning me up. It was a lesson in getting your priorities right when your kid's mess up !!

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 5th, 2021, 5:28 pm

At the rear of our house, back in the 1970s, the house behind us had a septic tank which led to a notch in our fence. We agreed that they could divert their efluent into the manhole in our back garden, the tank would be filled and we could straighten the fence.

While the work was in progresss, our son, then aged about 7, was running round the edge of the septic tank with the neightbour's son of a similar age. Our son slipped and diappeared into the tank being covered completely with the effluent. He was swiftly hauled out and hosed down, before further decontamination. The notable thing was that every fly from miles around suddenly descended on his footprints on the path.

He does not seem to have been affected by his experience.

TJH

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » April 5th, 2021, 5:45 pm

That reminds me of a piece from Clive Jame’s Unreliable Memoirs, The “dunny man” sequence.

We are home in the southern suburb of Kogarah. It’s the day before Christmas Eve. Young Clive has left his bike sprawled across the driveway. The dunny man arrives to collect the “night soil” from the unsewered toilet down the back. Young Clive, sitting inside, hears him arrive. The man thumps down the drive, leaps over the bike, opens the dunny door, clips a tin lid to the can, and then, with an oomph of effort, heaves the brimming load onto his shoulder.

Then there’s the run back down the drive. Next, due to a moment’s inattention, the sound of “a dunny man running full tilt into a bicycle”.

He comes down heavily. So does the overly full can. And, amid the cacophony, there’s “the tiny but significant” sound of a clipped lid springing off. Clive scoots out to look and appreciates the remarkable fact that “none of it had missed him”.
The tale ends with a final sound effect: of a million flies making their way to Kogarah. Writes James: “They were coming from all over Australia.”

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » April 5th, 2021, 6:00 pm

That reminds me of a raconteur called 'Blaster Bates', who was asked to empty a farmer's septic tank using dynamite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbZsVd7j7l4

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » April 5th, 2021, 6:07 pm

Given we are sinking very low - my vote - I am going to pose a poo question that has kept me up at nights. Well here goes and apologies in advance for the unedifying subject matter - but then you should not be reading this if you are easily offended.

I give careful attention to my weight and BMI. As a result I regularly weigh myself and notice the effects of a full Indian feast the following morning. The scales I use are accurate - for instance it shows a difference between when I weigh myself with and without my Noel Coward silk dressing gown that weighs maybe 200g in new money. On occasion when I feel a large evacuation in the offing following said curry and dhal I have weighed myself. I have then weighed myself soon after said evacuation and the weight on the scales changes at most say 200g. Yet I would hazard a guess that the poo involved is a good 1lb 4oz in old money (this is around 570g - just trying to keep Brexiteers and Remainers on board).

Can the collected wisdom of the Fools explain?

I am very perplexed and would like to get out more but with Covid etc . . .

T7

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 5th, 2021, 6:31 pm

terminal7 wrote:On occasion when I feel a large evacuation in the offing following said curry and dhal I have weighed myself. I have then weighed myself soon after said evacuation and the weight on the scales changes at most say 200g. Yet I would hazard a guess that the poo involved is a good 1lb 4oz in old money (this is around 570g - just trying to keep Brexiteers and Remainers on board).

ISTR that the subject of the British Standard Regulation Turd came up on the old TMF forum - maybe somebody here will remember it? And the gist of it was that toilets are legally required to be able to flush 250 grammes of soya paste sausages (seriously!) without blocking or misbehaving. 250 grammes being the maximum (IIRC?) that a human colon is normally expected to shift at one sitting. :D

Which would suggest that your 570 gramme estimate is a little on the (ahem) theatrical side. But which would seem to square with your experience on the scales?

As I told the World Health Organisation back in 1957, I have long held that the weight of the post-poo pish is almost equal to the weight of the main event. I am still waiting for my Nobel Prize for my outstanding contribution to medical science, but they seem to have forgotten me. There's gratitude for you. :(

BJ

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 5th, 2021, 6:46 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
terminal7 wrote:On occasion when I feel a large evacuation in the offing following said curry and dhal I have weighed myself. I have then weighed myself soon after said evacuation and the weight on the scales changes at most say 200g. Yet I would hazard a guess that the poo involved is a good 1lb 4oz in old money (this is around 570g - just trying to keep Brexiteers and Remainers on board).

ISTR that the subject of the British Standard Regulation Turd came up on the old TMF forum - maybe somebody here will remember it? And the gist of it was that toilets are legally required to be able to flush 250 grammes of soya paste sausages (seriously!) without blocking or misbehaving. 250 grammes being the maximum (IIRC?) that a human colon is normally expected to shift at one sitting. :D

Which would suggest that your 570 gramme estimate is a little on the (ahem) theatrical side. But which would seem to square with your experience on the scales?

As I told the World Health Organisation back in 1957, I have long held that the weight of the post-poo pish is almost equal to the weight of the main event. I am still waiting for my Nobel Prize for my outstanding contribution to medical science, but they seem to have forgotten me. There's gratitude for you. :(

BJ

Horizon - The Secret Science of Sewage

This details the standard poo used to determine lots of the requirements in the safe removal of sewage. It's worth watching as some of the numbers are staggering.

AiY

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 5th, 2021, 6:56 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Horizon - The Secret Science of Sewage

This details the standard poo used to determine lots of the requirements in the safe removal of sewage. It's worth watching as some of the numbers are staggering.

Thanks AiY. Here's another colourful reference to the test. https://www.wired.co.uk/article/maximum ... -soya-poop . One of the key takeaways (can I use that word?) is that although US scientists had originally calculated a 250 gramme test requirement, the Environmental Protection Agency went for 350 grammes instead. And that the average stateside bathroom now copes with 675 grammes. Not because it needs to, but because it helps the manufacturers to sell toilets to Americans. No further comment seems necessary. ;)

BJ

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”