Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Trump Petition

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Trump Petition

Postby Clitheroekid » January 29th, 2017, 9:45 pm

This looks like it could be one of the most popular ever petitions - and justifiably, in my opinion - https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928

There's also a very interesting map showing which parliamentary constituencies are voting the most and the least - http://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.co ... ion=171928

ThirdWay

Re: Trump Petition

Postby ThirdWay » January 30th, 2017, 9:23 am

IMO it was foolish of May to offer Trump a state visit this early on.

We know that Trump has serious ego issues and he clearly loves a deal - so why not leave this carrot out of reach for a while?

I have also heard that the man has no long-standing true friends. Apparently he gets what he wants from people then dumps them. Now this was just some comment and I can't verify it. But if it's true, why would you give this man everything he wants?

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » January 30th, 2017, 10:14 am

We welcomed the Chinese leader, who presides over thousands of Falun Gong political prisoners being killed for transplant organs each year. Trump has no comparison to that level of evil.

Exactly. Take the moral high ground but only when it's expedient to do so.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 30th, 2017, 11:12 am

I think Ross Noble has the best idea, Let The Orange One come, but get Liz to wear a burka to mess with his head :twisted:

Slarti

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » January 30th, 2017, 11:25 am

ThirdWay wrote:why would you give this man everything he wants?

Same reason we toady to the Saudi royals. Naked self interest. For better or worse, Trump is the most powerful man on earth. So keep him happy and he gives us stuff. Result.

gryff

mswjr
Lemon Slice

Postby mswjr » January 30th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:This looks like it could be one of the most popular ever petitions - and justifiably, in my opinion - https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928

It's got a long way to go to match the 17.2 million who petitioned for Brexit.

ThirdWay

Postby ThirdWay » January 30th, 2017, 12:35 pm

That's probably because a petition and a referendum are entirely different.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » January 30th, 2017, 12:36 pm

mswjr wrote:
Clitheroekid wrote:This looks like it could be one of the most popular ever petitions - and justifiably, in my opinion - https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928

Can you link to that petition?

ta

Mel

mswjr
Lemon Slice

Postby mswjr » January 30th, 2017, 1:01 pm

melonfool wrote:
mswjr wrote:

ta

Mel

No, it's closed now. It was only open for a few hours, back in June. (And you had to be over 18 as well)

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » January 30th, 2017, 1:21 pm

I believe there's a new petition for those in favour of Trump visiting the UK, perhaps you'd like to sign that :lol:

I'm very dubious about online petitions because they are so easy to hack (so OH tells me). The DM has a map showing the areas of the country where most of the signatures originate, mainly London and University towns/cities.

I must admit that I find it rather amusing that people are getting their knickers in a twist about a President who is doing what he stated he would do when on the campaign trail. So far the arch hypocrite seems to be a Mr. Zuckerfield who is incensed about "The Wall" this is despite building a wall around his estate in Hawaii in order to keep out the riff raff.

R6

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Postby Beerpig » January 30th, 2017, 1:28 pm

I think Trump should be given a chance.
He is the democratically elected leader of the USA and we should treat him with respect.

ThirdWay

Postby ThirdWay » January 30th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Beerpig wrote:I think Trump should be given a chance.
He is the democratically elected leader of the USA and we should treat him with respect.

Respect has to be earned. (I'm not holding my breath...)

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 30th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Absolutely. The thought that he might actually try and deliver on his campaign promises of building a Mexican wall, banning Muslims etc. is ridiculous.

Oh, wait a minute......

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 30th, 2017, 1:41 pm

A chance? Yes, he's got the same chance as every other US president. He's got four years clear, and all he has to do is not get impeached by his own countrymen.

Respect? Well okay, let's judge him by his actions, not his words. One week in, and he's cancelled the refugee programme, locked out and detained 200 people with legitimate US papers, discriminated against Muslim migrants while saying okay to Christians, tried his best to stop abortion, lied extravagantly about his inauguration (and threatened any pressmen who dare to speak the truth), and been stopped in his tracks by the first of well over 100 challenges in the courts of law. The rest are still to come. Yes, respect. I'm not holding my breath.

BJ

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » January 30th, 2017, 1:51 pm

I have also heard that the man has no long-standing true friends. Apparently he gets what he wants from people then dumps them.

Wise!

True friends are rare. Mostly, people have up to 5 close friends and even that could be a lot, 1-3 more likely. As for non-close friends, maybe up to around 15 friends and after that it's acquaintances.

---

The TP is an interesting start to 2017. Last year, it was the referendum result (Brexit) that led to being careful about discussing politics amongst friends and acquaintances. Currently it's Trump and border control and whether to oppose or support. It is a decision i suspect borne of US intelligence agencies concerned about an influx of potential assassins intent upon commemorating the start of his presidency. Just imagine what would've have happened had he given advanced notice the closure to take effect in a couple of weeks' time: there'd be an almighty surge to get in before the gates shut.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » January 30th, 2017, 1:57 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:I must admit that I find it rather amusing that people are getting their knickers in a twist about a President who is doing what he stated he would do when on the campaign trail.

I can't understand the logic of this. The people who are `getting their knickers in a twist' by signing the petition will be the same people who objected to what Trump was saying during his election campaign, so why would their views have changed simply because he's now the president?

It's not even as though they can be smacked down on the basis that by criticising a democratically elected president they are challenging `the will of the people' . None of the people signing the petition were part of the US democratic process, so they are entirely entitled to criticise a foreign leader and to object to the way he is being dealt with by our own government.

I think Trump should be given a chance.

Vladimir Putin is the democratically elected leader of Russia, but he's a vicious thug whose government most resembles a crime syndicate, and I have no respect at all for him. As Third Way says, respect has to be earned, and so far Trump's behaviour has done nothing to persuade me that he deserves my respect.

I appreciate that others feel differently, so if you and they want to respect him that's your privilege, but there is no obligation on `we' as a nation to follow that example.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » January 30th, 2017, 2:42 pm

mswjr wrote:
melonfool wrote:
mswjr wrote:

ta

Mel

No, it's closed now. It was only open for a few hours, back in June. (And you had to be over 18 as well)

I don't think referenda and petitions are the same thing at all.

Mel

mswjr
Lemon Slice

Postby mswjr » January 30th, 2017, 2:53 pm

melonfool wrote:
mswjr wrote:
melonfool wrote:

ta

Mel

Mel

In that referendums require careful mature thought, and the results have gravitas and should be respected by all, I agree.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » January 30th, 2017, 3:10 pm

mswjr wrote:
melonfool wrote:
mswjr wrote:No, it's closed now. It was only open for a few hours, back in June. (And you had to be over 18 as well)

Mel

In that referendums require careful mature thought, and the results have gravitas and should be respected by all, I agree.

Don't put words in people's mouths.

Mel

mswjr
Lemon Slice

Postby mswjr » January 30th, 2017, 3:14 pm

melonfool wrote:
mswjr wrote:
melonfool wrote:

Mel

Don't put words in people's mouths.

Mel

Oh for Pete's sake. OK then, if you're saying something else, then I may not agree. Lighten up.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”