Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Trump Petition

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Trump Petition

Postby Slarti » January 30th, 2017, 3:37 pm

brightncheerful wrote: Currently it's Trump and border control and whether to oppose or support. It is a decision i suspect borne of US intelligence agencies concerned about an influx of potential assassins intent upon commemorating the start of his presidency. Just imagine what would've have happened had he given advanced notice the closure to take effect in a couple of weeks' time: there'd be an almighty surge to get in before the gates shut.

Just read a piece in the NY Times about how Trump didn't consult with US security forces about his border controls.

And having read the EO doing so, where he 3 times referrers to 9/11 as a justification, it is surprising that the countries that were the homelands of the 9/11 terrorists are not on the banned list. Until you realise that, unlike the banned countries, they are all ones where Trump has business interests.

Oh, and he's not just banned Muslims, but anybody who holds or has held a passport from one of those countries.

Cheers
Slarti

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » January 30th, 2017, 3:42 pm

bungeejumper wrote:A chance? Yes, he's got the same chance as every other US president. He's got four years clear, and all he has to do is not get impeached by his own countrymen.
BJ

Four years clear? John F. Kennedy had less than three years and James A. Garfield had only about six and a half months. William McKinley and Abraham Lincoln were also suddenly removed from office.

I hope nothing like that happens to Trump but, with the wrong enemies, history may well repeat itself.

Julian F. G. W.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 30th, 2017, 3:54 pm

jfgw wrote:Four years clear? John F. Kennedy had less than three years and James A. Garfield had only about six and a half months. William McKinley and Abraham Lincoln were also suddenly removed from office.

I hope nothing like that happens to Trump but, with the wrong enemies, history may well repeat itself.

God forbid. The reprisal shootings would start within days, and we'd be close to a civil war before we knew what was happening.

BJ

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 30th, 2017, 4:05 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
jfgw wrote:Four years clear? John F. Kennedy had less than three years and James A. Garfield had only about six and a half months. William McKinley and Abraham Lincoln were also suddenly removed from office.

God forbid. The reprisal shootings would start within days, and we'd be close to a civil war before we knew what was happening.

BJ

Well there has already been one shooting in Seattle.

With a Trump supporters rally due for 11am their time today, who knows what will happen?

Slarti

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » January 30th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Slarti wrote:
brightncheerful wrote: Currently it's Trump and border control and whether to oppose or support. It is a decision i suspect borne of US intelligence agencies concerned about an influx of potential assassins intent upon commemorating the start of his presidency. Just imagine what would've have happened had he given advanced notice the closure to take effect in a couple of weeks' time: there'd be an almighty surge to get in before the gates shut.

Just read a piece in the NY Times about how Trump didn't consult with US security forces about his border controls.

And having read the EO doing so, where he 3 times referrers to 9/11 as a justification, it is surprising that the countries that were the homelands of the 9/11 terrorists are not on the banned list. Until you realise that, unlike the banned countries, they are all ones where Trump has business interests.

Oh, and he's not just banned Muslims, but anybody who holds or has held a passport from one of those countries.

Cheers
Slarti

I thought they [we] went to war as a result of 9/11, I wonder how long you can keep using the same thing as justification for inhumane acts?

It also just shows that despite the US constant fear of Muslim terrorists, they really have only had this one single major event to keep coming back to.

Mel

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 30th, 2017, 4:58 pm

melonfool wrote:I thought they [we] went to war as a result of 9/11, I wonder how long you can keep using the same thing as justification for inhumane acts?

It also just shows that despite the US constant fear of Muslim terrorists, they really have only had this one single major event to keep coming back to.

Mel

Well there was the couple who were home grown ones on the West Coast (I think) and the guy in Orlando but he was also home grown.

Slarti

CommissarJones
Lemon Slice

Postby CommissarJones » January 30th, 2017, 11:08 pm

And William Henry Harrison had a mere month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Henry_Harrison

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Beerpig's Snug - light hearted banter

Postby PinkDalek » January 31st, 2017, 12:24 am

Appose?

If only the petitions website had an edit facility. :lol:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 31st, 2017, 12:53 am

The thinking is even more muddled than that spelling and grammar. A state visit has nothing to do with free speech, one way or t'other. The idea that anything we could do or not do might gag Trump is preposterous. I have some sympathy with both opposing views expressed in this thread, but not with the utter halfwit who wrote that drivel.

Sadly the UK has been moving rather strongly against Free Speech, starting with Blair and disappointingly not halted (let alone rolled back) by Cameron. I might be inclined to give May the benefit of the doubt on account of it being early days, but her previous role

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 31st, 2017, 12:57 am

1nv35t wrote:Don't be surprised if UK anti-Trump petition signers get added to the US immigration control database :twisted:

Now that would be a serious move against free speech. Worthy perhaps of the kind of absolute despot West Africa is trying to consign to history.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'll take your smiley as a best-available substitute for a sadly-missing tongue-in-cheek one.

Gfplux

Postby Gfplux » January 31st, 2017, 3:23 pm

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 31st, 2017, 5:58 pm

1nv35t wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
1nv35t wrote:Don't be surprised if UK anti-Trump petition signers get added to the US immigration control database :twisted:

Now that would be a serious move against free speech. Worthy perhaps of the kind of absolute despot West Africa is trying to consign to history.

Part of US visitor entry vetting is to be extended to include the declaration/disclosure of Social Media identifiers, so that Homeland Security can investigate online profiles for individuals (Facebook, Twitter etc.). A immigration officer might be interested as to why you might have voted to prevent their President from visiting the UK as a possible reason for perhaps refusing entry into the US. That's not a move against free speech, just what you freely speak about might bite back at a later date in some way.

Except the petition in the OP didn't mention a vote to prevent Trump from visiting the UK.

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » January 31st, 2017, 8:11 pm

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 31st, 2017, 8:22 pm

Trump: The less immigrants we let in, the better.

Pence: Fewer!

Trump: Shhh, don't call me that in public yet.

(with thanks to some random person on Facebook)

Scott.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » January 31st, 2017, 8:52 pm

Sussexlad wrote:https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/178844 coming along !

Looking at the map it seems that the Isle of Wight is for some bizarre reason particularly keen to welcome him - http://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.co ... ion=178844

So IsleofWightPete, is this your doing? ;)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 1st, 2017, 8:51 am

Clitheroekid wrote:Looking at the map it seems that the Isle of Wight is for some bizarre reason particularly keen to welcome him - http://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.co ... ion=178844

Here's my theory. It's all a development push to realise Julian Barnes's "England, England". (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England,_England.)

Synopsis. By setting up the Isle of Wight as an England theme park, where Americans could visit everything from Shakespeare's birthplace to Stonehenge or even that (typically-olde-English) Edinburgh castle without ever having to use their legs, the IoW could clean up big-time. And leave the rest of England to get on with life in Arcadian peace.

Y'know, it strikes me that Donald would be just the man to turn this dream into reality. Of course, they'd have to rename it Trump Island. I hope you're ready for some yuuuuge real estate deals, Pete?

(Afterthought: I wonder if he thinks Liz could sell it to him? I mean, it's her territory, right?)

BJ

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”