Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Odd recurring dreams thread

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Odd recurring dreams thread

Postby kiloran » April 27th, 2021, 3:51 pm

I frequently had this dream for many years, and hardly ever any other dreams. Haven't had the dream for a few years now, maybe it was all the flying on business trips that triggered it (I'm retired now).

I'm in a plane (a big passenger jet, not a light aircraft), it trundles down the runway and takes off, levelling out around 50 feet or so. It then continues at this height, along roads with telegraph poles on either side, buildings, lampposts, etc. Flies under bridges while following the road for mile after mile, banking around bends in the road, under electricity cables dangling from pylons. A real squeeze all the time, a miracle piece of flying by the pilot avoiding things on either side and above and below. After half an hour or so, it zooms up to cruising altitude, but then repeats the low-level flying shennanigans between buildings etc for half an hour before landing safely.

What's that all about? Never had a real flight like that, nothing near it.

Any other odd recurring dreams?

--kiloran

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Odd recurring dreams thread

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 27th, 2021, 4:21 pm

kiloran wrote:Any other odd recurring dreams?
--kiloran

Whaaat :oops:

AiY

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 27th, 2021, 4:46 pm

kiloran wrote:Flies under bridges while following the road for mile after mile, banking around bends in the road, under electricity cables dangling from pylons. A real squeeze all the time, a miracle piece of flying by the pilot avoiding things on either side and above and below.

..........What's that all about? Never had a real flight like that, nothing near it.

Having studied Jung, Freud, Skinner, Reich, RD Laing and all the boys back in my student days, my initial diagnosis tends toward a subtle but deeply felt absence of risk and excitement now that you're retired. Have you considered a new hobby, such as alligator wrestling, perhaps? Blindfold skydiving? Mending the toaster in the rain? :)

Most recurring dreams are embarrassingly simple to decode, or so the health professionals would have us believe. Women really do dream about tall trees and gentle flowing rivers (ahem), while for us fellas it's more likely to be finding yourself suddenly naked in the high street, or forgetting where you parked the car in some foreign town, or knowing that you have to give a speech at 5 pm and you don't know anything about the subject, so it's quite lucky that you keep getting perpetually diverted and you never actually make it to the podium (phew).

But enough of real life. Let me see if I can remember a few dreams. ;)

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 27th, 2021, 5:18 pm

Ah, being in the middle of a load of railway lines (Clapham Junction?), or on a busy road junction, and trying to run for safety and my legs don't respond... the old running through treacle syndrome

Falling off stuff (I'm acrophobic)

Trying to get ready to go somewhere pleasant and never managing to get out of the door

Trying to find an open bar at an imaginary music festival (never a problem in real life)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 27th, 2021, 5:34 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Ah, being in the middle of a load of railway lines (Clapham Junction?), or on a busy road junction, and trying to run for safety and my legs don't respond... the old running through treacle syndrome

Apparently there might be a physical reason for that one, which I also get sometimes. Your brain switches off your motor connections during very deep sleep. Which is why your monkey ancestors didn't fall out of their trees in the night, and why you probably don't sleepwalk.

The theory, as I understand it, is that when your dreaming mind wants some fast sensory feedback from your legs and doesn't get it, you feel the lack of response as a slowness in your limbs. And you're stuck in the border zone between two states of consciousness, and the only thing to do is to learn how to make the conscious decision to wake up. (Some people ca do that.)

As a small child, I did sleepwalk quite often. One night I wandered down the stairs, turned the key and locked my parents in the living room. Then went back to bed. It spooked them somewhat! :lol:

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 27th, 2021, 5:43 pm

I occasionally suffer from hypnagogic jactitation... :o

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » April 27th, 2021, 5:56 pm

kiloran wrote:I'm in a plane (a big passenger jet, not a light aircraft), it trundles down the runway and takes off, levelling out around 50 feet or so.

I have had exactly the same dream. Exactly. And imo every dream is "odd" and a real nuisence. I have enough bad ideas when awake and could do without bad ideas when I am asleep

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 27th, 2021, 6:21 pm

Have you every woken up and had an urge to build a model of Devil's Tower, Wyoming from mashed potato ?

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » April 27th, 2021, 6:38 pm

kiloran wrote:I frequently had this dream for many years, and hardly ever any other dreams. Haven't had the dream for a few years now, maybe it was all the flying on business trips that triggered it (I'm retired now).

I'm in a plane (a big passenger jet, not a light aircraft), it trundles down the runway and takes off, levelling out around 50 feet or so. It then continues at this height, along roads with telegraph poles on either side, buildings, lampposts, etc. Flies under bridges while following the road for mile after mile, banking around bends in the road, under electricity cables dangling from pylons. A real squeeze all the time, a miracle piece of flying by the pilot avoiding things on either side and above and below. After half an hour or so, it zooms up to cruising altitude, but then repeats the low-level flying shennanigans between buildings etc for half an hour before landing safely.

--kiloran

Clearly you were a Microsoft Flight Simulator addict in your younger years.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 27th, 2021, 6:57 pm

kiloran wrote:I frequently had this dream for many years, and hardly ever any other dreams. Haven't had the dream for a few years now, maybe it was all the flying on business trips that triggered it (I'm retired now).

--kiloran

Nothing wrong with you. I had exactly the same dreams for years. They were when our kids were teenagers, I was doing a lot of travelling, flying, driving and plenty of stress! Some revolved around boarding the plane, complications in the airport, then the plane going along country and main roads for ages, or even chasing the plane in my car. Our brains are full of our problems!

My biggest repeating dream stems from when I was about 5, and terrified of going to the toilet for a no.2 due to shyness and the awful slippery toilet paper they had in those days. So, over 50 years later, I occasionally have dreams where I'm looking for a toilet, but everywhere is either blocked, full of sh*t, out of order or crowded with onlookers.

I've offered to leave my brain to science, but I received a lucrative offer not to! ;)

Steve

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 27th, 2021, 7:20 pm

EssDeeAitch wrote:
kiloran wrote:I'm in a plane (a big passenger jet, not a light aircraft), it trundles down the runway and takes off, levelling out around 50 feet or so.

I have had exactly the same dream. Exactly.

Yes, me too, exactly the same dream. Given how common this is I feel sure that a psychoanalyst somewhere knows what it means.

I have quite a few recurring dreams, including one where I can fly (but nobody else can). I just levitate myself and then move off, rather like a Harrier jet. It's really quite handy.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 27th, 2021, 7:27 pm

AC's look very familiar!

AleisterCrowley wrote:Ah, being in the middle of a load of railway lines (Clapham Junction?), or on a busy road junction, and trying to run for safety and my legs don't respond... the old running through treacle syndrome

I get that syndrome, but it's not about a place like that, but rather that I'm trying to escape some pursuer. Includes times when I can fly, but just not quite high enough to escape. Could almost be a cartoon sequence.
Falling off stuff (I'm acrophobic)

Do you wake up suddenly when that happens?
Trying to get ready to go somewhere pleasant and never managing to get out of the door

Another familiar story. I'm usually in a hurry when that happens: late for something! :o One version of it is where I need the loo, and continue to need it even after going: that's when I wake up and find I need the loo in real life.

But occasionally nice things happen, like I get the girl :D Or like I'm back in a good part of my own past.
Last edited by UncleEbenezer on April 27th, 2021, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 27th, 2021, 7:31 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Have you every woken up and had an urge to build a model of Devil's Tower, Wyoming from mashed potato ?

Not recently

--kiloran

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 27th, 2021, 7:53 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:AC's look very familiar!

I get that syndrome, but it's not about a place like that, but rather that I'm trying to escape some pursuer. Includes times when I can fly, but just not quite high enough to escape. Could almost be a cartoon sequence.

I wonder if the low flying jet ones above are a similar manifestation?
Perhaps our inabilty to escape our earthly problems. Or something

And yes, I do wake up suddenly when I fall off something in DreamWorld

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » April 27th, 2021, 9:26 pm

Why does the word "dream" have pleasant connotations? Dream house, car, holiday etc. Most dreams seem to be constructed around frustration of some kind.
Can't think I've ever had a dream where I became a better, happier, sexier me. Dreams in your teens? Too long ago to remember.

In reality a dream holiday would start with me in underpants seeking the correct gate at the airport, yet to realise I'd not got my passport, tickets or baggage.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 27th, 2021, 9:42 pm

..then you step onto a moving walkway as the pilot beckons you to hurry up 'cos he's revving the engines.. But you realise it's actually a trough of glue and you can't move. And then there's a giant lawnmower behind you.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » April 28th, 2021, 1:42 am

I used to dream I was having a threesome. Couldn’t wait to go to bed. Now stay up quite late. No point going to sleep. Just daydream these days.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 28th, 2021, 7:49 am

Lootman wrote:
EssDeeAitch wrote:

I have had exactly the same dream. Exactly.

Yes, me too, exactly the same dream. Given how common this is I feel sure that a psychoanalyst somewhere knows what it means.

I have quite a few recurring dreams, including one where I can fly (but nobody else can). I just levitate myself and then move off, rather like a Harrier jet. It's really quite handy.

Yes, the flying dream is very common. What is weird though is that in my dreams, I'm very conscious of having to be in a certain state of mind in order to levitate. I have to relax and empty my mind, then I find myself floating up and starting to fly. Really weird.

Probably cos I was/am an avid SciFi fan, but I also have dreams where I have telekinesis and can lift and move things with a wave of my hand. Some of those dreams are very realistic and I remember one night waking up, seeing a book on the table and lifting up my hand, expecting it to fly across the room to me. I waited a long time! ;)

Steve

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » April 28th, 2021, 9:42 am

Have you considered a new hobby, such as

getting into heated arguments with total strangers on-line

buying clothing on-line and returning them all next day

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » April 28th, 2021, 9:59 am

Many years ago I went to a workshop about 'guided meditation' and toward the end of the session we were each asked to demonstrate to the others what we had learned.

Frankly I though the concept a load of nonsense (but only because I can relax instantly) but everyone else seemed keen on it so i did my best to be interested (and quiet) whilst on the receiving end.

When it got to my turn to demonstrate, I started by asking people to close their eyes, breathe gently for a minute so as to relax. Next i asked them to imagine they were floating in water. Having checked that everyone seemed comfortable doing that, i asked them to imagine the water was in a goldfish bowl. I heard some murmurs of dissent but generally ok. That's the good thing about guided meditation: people trust.

Next I thought it would be fun to imagine the goldfish bowl you are floating in balanced on top of a wooden fence in a field.

That suggestion didn't go down at all well, I cannot imagine why.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”