Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Where Did All the Poor People Go???

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Where Did All the Poor People Go???

Postby Lootman » February 7th, 2017, 6:22 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I expect what he meant is that the modern landlord can fill a house with low-paid Eastern Europeans just as easily and profitably as Rachmann filled his houses with low-paid black immigrants.

There is nothing inherently wrong with or evil about renting HMO buildings out to foreign workers. It's more a matter of how you maintain and manage the accommodation, and whether you are fair and reasonable. And in fact they are usually very good tenants.

I've done it in the past and one of my children is doing it now. I don't consider either of us to be Rachmannic!

What is becoming an issue for doing this is that some councils are imposing rather invasive regulations specific to HMO's, which reduce the viability of that enterprise if you live in one of those councils. Predictably, as with most attempts at government regulation of housing, it will lead to higher rents if supply is thereby crimped.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 8th, 2017, 4:42 pm

Slough is full of 'sheds with beds' and the local authorities don't seem too bothered.
They are unhygienic, unsafe and unregulated and show up on thermal imaging from overflights - but nothing is ever done

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 8th, 2017, 6:43 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Slough is full of 'sheds with beds' and the local authorities don't seem too bothered.
They are unhygienic, unsafe and unregulated and show up on thermal imaging from overflights - but nothing is ever done

Cue John Betjeman. Some things endure.

bulltraderpt
Lemon Slice

Postby bulltraderpt » February 8th, 2017, 9:11 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Slough is full of 'sheds with beds' and the local authorities don't seem too bothered.

Mmmmm would nothing ever be done because of who the landlords may be?

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”